PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 Supplier

Dave P
October 30, 2000, 07:50 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a 308 model VLS, floating the barrel, and then bedding, for good precision on the range.

Does anybody want to recomend a dealer/supplier?

Thanks

WalterGAII
October 30, 2000, 10:06 PM
I recently went through the same process with my VLS in .243. I got mine at Franklin Sports, in Athens, GA. ($509+ tax.)

Tshoes
October 30, 2000, 10:09 PM
Dave P, why not buy a PSS and not worry about bedding, and reworking before it will shoot .5 moa???
Dealer for them Hoplite, Inc.
see their ad in the shotgun news, or go to gun finder.com, and ask for a price quote........ :)

Tshoes
October 30, 2000, 10:11 PM
Dave P, sorry, the site for gunfinder, is www.gunfinder.net............. (http://www.gunfinder.net.............)

WalterGAII
October 31, 2000, 12:10 AM
I would have gotten a VS, but the .243 is not available in the VS. I already have a VS in .223, so swapping stocks, if I find the VS stock to truly be more accurate than my free-floated and bedded VLS stock, is pretty simple.

Dave P
October 31, 2000, 07:59 AM
Tshoes - I relized the PSS and VS have the HS stock with the aluminum block and floating bbl, which is very nice for accuracy. But they sure don't look like much!

What can I say - the laminated stock looks much better, and doesn't the Monte Carlo cheekpiece help line up with the scope?

Thanks guys!

WalterGAII
October 31, 2000, 09:02 AM
Kind of reminds me of my friend who bought the Kimber Stainless Compact, because it's "pretty". To each his own. Why not just buy a nice stock and mount it on your wall, but use the H-S stock for what it's intended...accurate, consistent shooting? :)
FWIW, I really like the looks of my VLS, also, but would have preferred the H-S stock, if I'd had that option. I really am going to compare the rifle's performance with each stock and will settle on the one that groups the best.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited October 31, 2000).]

Tshoes
November 1, 2000, 12:07 AM
dave P, an added advantage, albeit small, is the finish on the PSS series.......
It is a matte blue, and will not rust as easily as the VLS plain blued action, barrel.
Also, the PSS stocks, if you ever want to get rid of one will fetch around $200.00.........at least double that of the VLS...BEFORE you start working on it...... :)

Clint Tickler
November 1, 2000, 10:23 AM
Dave P. What everybody had to say about the VS and PSS I'm sure is true. I haven't gotten around to bedding my VLS .308 yet and with the barrel floated and the stock trigger at 2-1/2 lbs I shoot 1/2" groups or less all day from a Harris bi-pod and a rear bunny ear bag. Birchwood and Casey Sheath rust preventative keeps the rust demons away. And it shore is a purty gun! Go for it! Clint

Dave P
November 1, 2000, 10:48 AM
Clint, I wondered if you would show up! Based on previous posts, it looks like you have done what I would like to do to the VLS. By the way, I have seen a few HS stocks for sale for about $150, just in case you want to make your good looking gun ugly! :)

I can find VS and P models in stock for about $700, but no luck yet on the VLS.

Clint Tickler
November 2, 2000, 12:42 PM
Dave P. Did you find a source for that VLS yet. I didn't really help you there. That one price of $509 that one of the guys mentioned is sure a good deal if you can get it. Did you look at Auction Arms or Guns America? I've never purchased a fire arm that way but have bought some other stuff without a problem. I do like to fondle before purchasing. Good luck. Clint

Dave P
November 2, 2000, 02:51 PM
Clint only one I found (so far) is in Canada. Awfully hard to transfer thru a FFL and an airport!

I am still looking.

WalterGAII
November 2, 2000, 03:01 PM
I wasn't looking for a .308, but was quoted $519, plus tax, from Barrow Automotive/Guns, in Butler, GA. I paid $509, plus taxes, at Franklin Sports, Athens, GA.

Dave P
November 3, 2000, 08:58 AM
Good data, Walter! Barrow's has one with a narrow fore-end, as opposed to the wider beavertail. I would imagine the BT is better for bench shooting?

They also ship to FL, and offer a good price!

Thanks
Dave

Clint Tickler
November 3, 2000, 11:26 AM
That's a heck of a good price Walter found for you! I didn't realize that the VLS came in anything but a beavertail forend. If you're going to use a bipod I don't think there would be any dif between the wide versus narrow. I can see where it could make a diference off a rest or sand bags. Clint

WalterGAII
November 4, 2000, 12:30 AM
Neighbor has a VLS in .223 with a narrow forend. I always thought that it was narrow, just because it was in .223. I didn't realize that the VLS came in two different widths. I have the beavertail and like it fine. I do recommend floating the barrel and bedding around the recoil lug and tang.

I'm stil going to try my .243 action in my VS stock, whenever I get my .223 VS back from my friend (soon to be former, if he doesn't get that rifle back to me soon). If the .243 action shoots better in the H-S stock, I'll just have a blued action in an H-S stock. Can't wait to get that Burris 8-32X44mm scope back from the factory, where it's being repaired.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited November 04, 2000).]

Dave P
November 5, 2000, 08:14 AM
The factory said there are no stock options on the VLS, so it must be the standard stock, just more narrow than the VS & P versions.

That rifle is on order, and it may arrive by next weekend. $10 shipping ain't bad either!

Now I need to order scope and rings, etc. Looks like I will go with Leupold VIII in 4.5-14x40. Natchez has them on sale this month. Double-D 2 piece bases. Any reason this scope shouldn't work up to 600 yrds?

Thanks again - I will let you all know how it turns out.