PDA

View Full Version : How much better is 22 Mag

char923
October 30, 2000, 07:16 PM
I was thinking about getting a Ruger 22 mag rinfire rifle, how much better is it then the 10/22 rimfire rifle.

DaMan
October 30, 2000, 07:17 PM
Get the regular 10-22! Regards! DaMan

Andrew Bornman
October 30, 2000, 10:35 PM
The .22 mag is slightly more powerful than the .22LR however the ammo is significantly more expensive. Many people choose a .22 caliber centerfire cartrige over the .22 mag because it offers greater versitality than the .22mag. The 22 hornet, .222 or .223 are good choices.

Probably the most important information needed to help you select the right cartrige is the application you are considering.

Andrew

DOCSpanky
October 30, 2000, 11:04 PM
I will give a positive vote for the 22MAG!

It is NOT "slightly" more powerfull than a LR, it is alot more powerfull. It is NOT inherently a tack driving cartridge, but an inch to an inch and a half at 100 yards from my 25MN is respectable in ANY book. Ammo is more expensive, but with the new focus on the 22WMR, prices are starting to drop already. I got a brick of PMC softpoints at the gunshow this weekend for $2.15 a box. And that is 50 rounds. So the economics of it are getting better. You can take the longer shots with greater confidence, knowing that the bullet will arrive on target with terminal ballistics still in the killing zone! Unlike some 22LR's (some not all, CCI Stingers have some real POP) that seem to bounce off of anything at over 60-70 yards. Finally, if you cant reload, and want a little more bang for your shooting dollar, the 22WMR is it.

To achieve the true potential of this cartridge, IMHO you must get a bolt action. And in bolt 22WMR's the bottom line is MARLIN!

This is not intended to start a holy war, just to vote and point out the advantages of MY FAVORITE CARTRIDGE!

Yes it is nice to go to Wally-World and get 500 Remington, Winchester, or Federal whatever LR's for $9.00, but I like being different ;)

DOC

------------------
"Government is not the solution to the problem, Government is the problem!"--Ronald Reagan

char923
October 31, 2000, 01:15 AM
Thanks guys for the info

CMOS
October 31, 2000, 08:49 AM
Agree with Doc. The .22 WMR is quite a bit more powerful than the .22LR.

I've shot both for amny years and they are apples and oranges as far as comparrison. I really like the .22WMR cartridge.

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now join the GOA!

CMOS's Site (http://www.hal-pc.org/~thehaugs/second.htm)

Calif Hunter
October 31, 2000, 11:50 AM
I have a Marlin 882, and I love it. I'm stil trying out brands of ammo to see what it likes best. The new Remington 597 and Ruger 10-22 magnums seem to shoot very well, so I don't think you have to limit yourself to a bolt action. I have a .223, as well, but there is just something fun about carrying a lightweight .22 mag and popping ground squirrels with it at 150 yards or less. If I can hit them, they're done with the .22 mag at that range. Maybe it's just a "return to my youth" of carrying the .22 LR, but it's fun. Different, perhaps less pressure than a "real" varmint rifle, but fun nonetheless! And it's a whole lot lighter to carry around than my .223 heavy barreled Savage. You could get a lighter weight .223, but then the accuracy may not be any better than the .22 mag and the .22 mag doesn't scare the cows as much as the .223. Since it's fun we're after, go with whatever works for you.

------------------
Calif Hunter www.hunttalk.com (http://www.hunttalk.com)

The Plainsman
October 31, 2000, 03:22 PM
I'll echo what DOC said. I've got the Marlin bolt action .22 mag with a little Simmons 4x scope on it and it's great out to 150 yards - relatively inexpensive to shoot, but still has some "kick" to it at 100-150 yard ranges. I'm discovering all sorts of ammo for it, some of which is VERY impressive.

Try it - you'll like it. ;)

------------------
If "the people" in the 1st, 4th, 9th & 10th amendments, means "the people", why do some folks think "the people" in the 2nd amendment means "the state"?

JBP
November 1, 2000, 08:12 PM
I can't compare the 10/22M to the standard 10/22 since I have the 10/22T. I would have prefered the 10/22M in a heavy barrel but the accuracy is not far off from the 10/22T. I just have to work a little harder to get the results I want. I keep the 10/22T zeroed in for 50 yards since that is what our club matches are set up for and the 10/22M is zeroed in at 100 yards. My 10/22M does best with the CCI Maxi Mag FMJ but I recently picked up a brick of the CCI Maxi Mag TNT HP that I have to try out. Definetly a nice shooting caliber.

MADISON
November 1, 2000, 11:18 PM
WHY BOTHER WITH A RIMFIRE?
I have always advocated that when you use a rimfire that you are THROWING AWAY THE BRASS.

I would consider a .22 Hornet, 222 or .223. With a $5.00 check to Lee Precision they will send you the SQUIB disk discussed on pages 90 through 93. You can set the velocity and powder you use/want to use and get a load.

Flaim
November 2, 2000, 05:41 AM
Get the .22 Mag. It is a wonderful Round. For I gun I would recomend the Remington 597 over the Ruger 10/22. THe trigger is better. The ergonomics are better, the sites are better. The only edge I give the Ruger is the Ease of takedown and the Magasine. I much prefer the rotary Mag of the 10/22 but overall the 597 is a better gun. And the .22 Mag variant is half to a third of the price of the Ruger 10/22 in .22 Mag. I payed 175.00 for mine and the Ruger runs something like 450.00

------------------
"Knowledge is a destination. Truth, the journey."

DOCSpanky
November 2, 2000, 07:23 PM
Hmmmmm.....

yes many things are more economical in the LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGGG run if you reload, but there are many among us who CAN'T! So any rimfire is a definant advantage, and its really not wasting the brass, if you save it for long enough, many scrap metal dealers will pay happily for a large load. I have about 13 lbs. of "USELESS" brass that will sell for about $5-7 a pound. And although I agree that in the long run reloading is more economical, to get quality equipment, it will be a VERY LONG RUN ;) IMHO!

------------------
"Government is not the solution to the problem, Government is the problem!"--Ronald Reagan

Solitar
November 2, 2000, 08:05 PM
Consider, seriously consider,
that rimfires will be the last caliber class to be banned and confiscated.
The .22 mag is the hottest rimfire available.
When push comes to shove,
"it's only a rimfire" ;)
"it's only a little .22" ;)

Better make sure it is a .22mag BOLT action though. Semi-autos are "evil assault weapons"

Gremlin
November 2, 2000, 09:33 PM
I love the .22mag.

But!

Make mine a Winchester 9422M.

Gotta go with the lever action.

------------------
Take the long way home...