PDA

View Full Version : .308 M1 Garand project...should I do this?

TCW
January 15, 2005, 03:06 AM
I was considering doing the following for a .308 Garand project:

1. Buy a Danish Garand from CMP for $300 (less wood)
2. Have it re-barreled w/ new Wilson .308 barrel here for $225:
http://groups.msn.com/WestTexasOrdnance/m1garand.msnw

...sell old barrel online for $$
3. Put a new stock on it... Don't know where to get it. but probably $100.

I would have a nice looking .308 Garand w/ a new barrel for $625.

That's $125 more than a Service Grade SA, but I get a new stock, new barrel, and cheaper/newer/more accurate(?) surplus ammo.

Any thoughts? Suggestions on where to get a stock?

sleeping dog
January 15, 2005, 07:52 AM
One place for stocks, Dean's Gun Restoration (http://www.dgrguns.com/)

You'll also need the stock metal bits: buttplate, handguard bands, sling swivel, various screws.

If you're getting a new stock and barrel, might as well get the old metal re-parkerized. Many places can do it, including the link above.

You might be financially better off to get a rack-grade CMP gun and re-barrel that. Then you have all the metal parts and a stock, which you can replace whenever time/money are convenient.

Don't expect much $$ from the old barrel.

Regards.

Unkel Gilbey
January 15, 2005, 08:40 AM
It's always easier to do this if you can drive her home first!

I have to agree with the sleeping dog in that if you get a working Garand, when it comes time to do the barrel swap, stock swap, etc. it's always easier to start this project with a working rifle. You never will know what's missing from your rifle starting with just a barreled action - unless (of course) you spent some time at Springfield armory assembling them! ;)

I don't know if it's really needed or not, seeing how I've heard folks here opine on both sides, but there is a spacer block which fits down in the magazine of the rifle that might be needed in order to make that rifle function with 308 rounds. I last saw one available from Brownell's. I don't know if it's a normally stocked item, as it comes and goes from their catalog. Look for it though, it just might be a crucial part of your project.

Lastly, be careful which rounds you feed into the 308 Garand. That operating rod is probably just as sensitive to the wrong loads in 308 as she is with the 30-06.

Good Luck!
Unkel Gilbey

sleeping dog
January 15, 2005, 09:59 AM
As I understand it, the magazine spacer block doesn't affect function, good or bad. It just prevents accidentally shoving an enbloc full of 30-06 into the gun.

I'm not sure a 30-06 load would be hazardous in a .308 M1. I think it would just stop the bolt 1/2 inch short of battery, no big deal.

No first-hand knowledge here, my M1 is still 30-06.

Regards.

jefnvk
January 15, 2005, 02:19 PM
Why don't you just get a Greek and refinish the wood? At worst, you are still $5 behind your original starting spot, and you can stil get a new stock. Then, too, you can sell the old stock for money.

cntryboy1289
January 15, 2005, 02:53 PM
Can you not get the insert the military used to convert the '06 to .308 and put it in and then use the spacer block to prevent the accidental discharge of the '06 in the barrel? You could make your own spacer block from the plastic material woodwrokers use to make router bases out of. I wouldn't think you would want to fire an unsupported case in any rifle. I have a buddy that does a good many Garands, he gets his wood from Boyd's.

TCW
January 15, 2005, 04:29 PM
I hears that these guys will insert a block for you when doing a .308 conversion:
http://groups.msn.com/WestTexasOrdnance/m1garand.msnw

Hey, anyone know why the Danish rack grades are $55 more than the Greek?

varoadking
January 15, 2005, 05:42 PM
This is the same answer I gave to your same question over at the High Road... :)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=1472305&postcount=15

Jseime
January 16, 2005, 07:37 PM
why not just go with the '06 its a better round in my opinion and much better suited to hunting with that extra reach

Tim R
January 17, 2005, 02:22 AM
I have both a '06 M-1 and a tuned 308 M-1. Both are used for match shooting with the '06 being stock for John C. Garand matches and the 308 for across the course. I am going to an AR for the up coming season for reasons other than needing a better shooting rifle.

You do not need the spacer block when converting from '06 to 308. I believe it's more of a henderence than a help. Besides, I've not seen any '06 chamber in a 308 which the block is supposed to prevent.

The idea of installing a chamber insert or what ever is a very poor one. The Navy found them unsat as the Chamber insert would often times be extracted with the case. Plus there would be tons of free bore. Navy Mk II's were chambered in 308 after the insert was found to be a bad idea. These barrels are hard to find but shoot very well.

If I was going to convert and not worry about match tuning, I would have Champion's Choice, www.champchoice.com do the work for you. They have Douglas match barrels which they will install and head space on your reciever for about the same money. $260.00

For the stock, DGR www.dgrguns.com is the best place for Wening stocks. They are better suited to being the correct size and the GI stock is $165.00. I don't think I could get out of there for less than $350.00 though as they have some of the nicest M-1 wood I've ever seen.

cntryboy1289
January 17, 2005, 05:20 PM
I appreciate the info Tim. I have never read anything other than they used them.

Tim R
January 18, 2005, 03:45 AM
Your welcome. It also appears DGR raised the price on the GI walnut stocks. Oh well. That clear maple about has me calling them and getting one on order. ;)