PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg Model 44US from CMP; magazines? Trigger guard? Stock finish?

Jeff, CA
October 25, 2000, 01:18 PM
I received the aforementioned rifle last night. Looks like it's in excellent condition, and it's definitely more substantial than any .22 you could buy off the shelf today.

As promised, it has no magazine. Gun Parts Corp doesn't even list the rifle in their catalog. Anyone know of a source for these?

CMP advised that the trigger guard (plastic) would be brittle, and may be broken. Mine's intact, but it looks like it's warped - there's a gap between the finger groove portion of the guard, and the stock. There's a groove cut in the stock in that area I assume the guard is supposed to be recessed into. Correct?

Finally, the stock doesn't appear to have any "finish" on it. The wood is stained, but the surface doesn't have that hard, "sealed" feel like you'd expect on a wood stock. It feels kind of "fuzzy", or porous. Anybody ever see this before? Does it need anything more?

diyj98
October 25, 2000, 03:54 PM
Brownells (the mail order gunsmithing supply) sells a new aftermarket magazine for the rifle.

It appears that any trigger guards that weren't cracked are warped. One fix it to remove the small wood screw in the lower portion of the trigger guard then push the guard up to where it's flush with the wood, drill a new hole for the wood screw and put the screw back in. The trigger guard won't go all the way to the bottom of the pistol grip the way it once did, but it will fit flush with the curve of the pistol grip, so it should look better and hopefully not crack.

As far as the finish it appears they were just stained. They were a cheap made rifle, but they shoot good and they're a part of history. I've left mine the way it is, but you could refinish it however you like.

Jeff, CA
October 25, 2000, 05:34 PM
Thanks. Mags weren't as painful as I thought they would be. As for the finish, if that's the way it's supposed to be, then that's that.

Cliff
October 25, 2000, 08:28 PM
Jeff - For the trigger guard, you may want to try giving Vic Havlin a call. He's affiliated with the Mossberg Collectors Association and occasionally has newly mfr'ed trigger guards for the 44US in stock.

Vic's number is 636-937-6401. The website is at http://www.mossbergcollectors.org/

Cliff

dalpra
October 29, 2000, 12:30 AM
Havlin Sales is the place for the trigger guard. They might also recommend an alternative to brownell's for the mag. As for the stock finish, lots of products are avilable. I like linseed oil for old military guns.