PDA

View Full Version : .30-30 vs. 6.5x55 out to 150 yards.

trigger45
December 30, 2004, 04:22 PM
these 2 grade old rounds im putting the 170 gr. .30-30 vs. the 140 gr. 6.5x55 not for accuracy but for effectiveness. are they about the same or how are they different.

steveno
December 30, 2004, 05:57 PM
without question the 6.5 X 55 is the better of the two

jefnvk
December 30, 2004, 05:59 PM
6.5 Swede, no questions asked. Ask the last deer I dropped right in its tracks at 130 yards how effective the round is.

trigger45
December 31, 2004, 07:51 AM
any body gonna speak for the grand old .30-30?

ksstargazer
December 31, 2004, 09:22 AM
30-30 is a fine calibre for medium sized game and smaller out to 200 yards. It's round nosed bullet is great for heavy brush. It loses energy quickly. 6.5 Swede is fast and keeps its energy longer. However, I make it a point not to shoot deer past 200 yards and so either calibre would be fine for me. In characteristics of speed and energy, 6.5 Swede is better. In terms of availability, you can't beat 30-30.

Gewehr98
December 31, 2004, 03:36 PM
The 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser would work just fine at ANY of the ranges one typically uses the .30-30 Winchester for.

Where the 6.5x55 Swede shines is at the distances well past the effective range of the .30-30 Winchester. That's not a slam on the .30-30, just an observation on the different design factors that went into their creation.

I have pics from a friend in Montana who just last month harvested a deer at 550+ yards with his Tikka Sporter in 6.5x55 Swede. He said the deer dropped like a sack of potatoes, and he heard the bullet impact. One wouldn't think to attempt that with a .30-30 Winchester.

trigger45
December 31, 2004, 06:01 PM
my ? is within the realm of 150 yards are they the same?

buzz meeks
December 31, 2004, 07:13 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say yes, WITHIN 150 YARDS, they are close enough. Either is an ideal deer round at that range. Either will work on black bear at that range. Either will work on elk or moose although neither is ideal, even at the reduced range you specified.

I know the 6.5x55 has it all over the 30-30 in terms of trajectory and retained velocity/energy but within the original poster's specified range, those advantages are not apparent.

However, if you add even 50 yards to the poster's range limits everything changes and of course the advantage goes to the Swede.

BTW, I have, shoot and reload for both and have taken animals with both.

Gewehr98
December 31, 2004, 09:12 PM
The .30-30 will probably be launched by a lever-action Winchester or Marlin. That's a good woods-walking rifle, quick handling and quick to bring a second round or more towards the target. It was never intended as a battle rifle to engage enemy targets way out there. I'd have no problem using a 150 or 170gr .30-30 load to put venison on the table, as long as I kept my shot distances reasonable.

The 6.5x55 would probably be launched from a bolt-action rifle, perhaps a surplus M98 or M38 Swedish Mauser, or a Tikka, Sako, Ruger, Remington, Ruger sporting rifle. It could also be launched by an AG-42B Ljungman, but even I don't take my Ljungman out hunting. (I should sometime, no real reason not to)

The 6.5x55 Swede was intended as a military cartridge, designed to engage enemy targets, with a battle zero for the M96 rifles beginning at 300 meters. So for close-in engagements, say for 100-150 yards, you do have to aim low if you're using an as-issued M96 Swede Mauser. Is the round suitable for hunting within 150 yards? By all means. Many years ago, I took a whitetail from 45 yards in a Wisconsin cornfield with a military surplus Swedish Mauser. I hit the doe between the eyes as she was looking at me, head-on, removing everything above the nose. Messy, but I had a freezer full of venison. ;)

mondocomputerman
January 2, 2005, 10:46 AM
I don't know about the swede. But if we're arguing range, I dropped my last deer at over 200 yards with my 30-30. I had to elevate it quite a bit.

arthurrh
January 3, 2005, 02:46 PM
using the ol' ballistics program (sighted for 100 yards) using the bullet weights you listed, 170gr for the 30-30 and 140 gr for the 6.5

30-30 has 1158 ft/lbs at 150 yards, and drops 2.6 inches

6.5 has 1740 lbs at 150 yards, and drops 1.2 inches

g_gunter
January 3, 2005, 05:30 PM
For the range specified in the original question the 30-30 would be my choice (and is). I like my Marlin lever action's handling qualities for my use here in Mississippi. I can get on target quickly and deliver a follow-up shot if necessary.

I believe that we often sell this caliber a bit short as I often read of zeroing the rifle at around 100 yards (or a bit more). However, I know from repeated experience that a 30-30 lever action rifle is a 200 yard caliber/rifle with no holdover required. This assumes that you are using a 150 gr. Winchester Power Point x30306 (or something similar) zeroed at 190 yds. On paper, this gives it a MPBR of 217 yds (+/- 3"). I have confirmed this with experience in the field and at the range. I've killed two deer this year (2004) at 150 yds. and 187 yds. with shots through the shoulder and did not recover a bullet. The deer at 187 yds. ran 10 yards, the one at 150 yds. was down within 40 yards.

Unlike some, I prefer to scope my 30-30...but then, of course, I would be scoping my 6.5x55, as well. For anything past 250 yards, I would definitely take the 6.5x55.

Just my thoughts.

g_gunter

mondocomputerman
January 3, 2005, 11:37 PM
Hey g_gunter,

I use a Marlin with a 4X scope. My load was a Winchester 150 gr power point. Very good results around 200 yards! The deer dropped right where I shot him.

g_gunter
January 4, 2005, 09:21 AM
I use a Marlin with a 4X scope. My load was a Winchester 150 gr power point. Very good results around 200 yards! The deer dropped right where I shot him.

Hi mondocomputerman,

Its a great rifle and a great caliber & bullet for deer. I've had my most consistent results from the plain ole' Winchester bullets. My Marlin will hold 1" groups at 100 yards all day long with those cartridges. I just had the trigger tuned on it a few weeks ago and is now a consistent 2.75 lb. pull. Very sweet.

Where, exactly, did you hit the deer to cause him to drop on the spot?

Thanks,

g_gunter

mondocomputerman
January 4, 2005, 05:29 PM
I actually gut shot the deer. I was amazed that he didn't run at all, I thought he would. Had to hurry down and clean him so it didn't taint the meat. I hunted in the center of Missouri, on conservation land.

My Marlin is a 30AW. I have a bausch and lomb balfor A scope on it. The trigger is a bit stiff, and had thought about lightening it. I always hunt when it's pretty cold out, and usually wear gloves, so I don't know if lightening it would be a good idea. I guess I could always get gloves with those finger cut-outs.

Where do you hunt at?

g_gunter
January 4, 2005, 05:58 PM
My Marlin is a 30AW. I have a bausch and lomb balfor A scope on it. The trigger is a bit stiff, and had thought about lightening it. I always hunt when it's pretty cold out, and usually wear gloves, so I don't know if lightening it would be a good idea. I guess I could always get gloves with those finger cut-outs.

I'm shooting a Marlin 336 C with a Nikon ProStaff 3x9x40 scope. Before tuning my trigger pull was very inconsistent and 'hard' breaking anywhere from 3.75 to 4.75 pounds. I, too, hunt during the cold and use thin gloves with Thinsulate so I can feel the trigger better.

Where do you hunt at?

I hunt in Claiborne, Adams, and Jefferson Counties in West-Central Mississippi along the Miss. River area. This area falls anywhere between Natchez and Port Gibson, MS. along Hwy 61.

All the best,

g_gunter

T in VA
January 4, 2005, 06:35 PM
I have no expirience with the 6.5x55. The .30-30 on the other hand is my favorite deer rifle for the woods and swamps here in Va. I have been successful out to 175 yards with it so i am gonna stick with old faithful here.

Andrew LB
January 9, 2005, 12:57 AM
I love my 30-30 for hunting deer. It rounded nose is definately a 'brush buster' great for woods, and forested areas. Its also really fun to shoot. :)

Mine was made just after WW2. Was my grandfathers, my fathers, and now mine.

http://www.kalionzes.com/guns/model94.jpg

Jeff Loveless
January 9, 2005, 01:13 AM
The 6.5 is just about identical to the newer 260 Rem. If you handload, it is even better, having more case capacity. Basically you couldn't go wrong with it.

The 30-30 long ago earned its place in the field and 150 yds is not too far for it. The factory ammo (and there really is no advantage to handloading it) uses component bullets designed for its velocity range. It will smack a deer down at that range. Basically you couldn't go wrong with it.

;)

In this instance I'd base it on what rifle action you prefer.

Sounds like a project to me!

Picher
January 9, 2005, 08:01 AM
Probably more deer have been killed with the 30/30 inside of 150 yards than any other cartridge. Still, more have been missed by people using them. Why is that? Well there have been more hunters using that cartridge than any other, in the past.

The 30/30 was usually the first deer rifle a person got, because the rifles were relatively inexpensive, easily available, and could fire subsequent shots quicker than single shots or bolt actions.

Probably the biggest reason that deer are missed with 30/30s is the dismal open factory sights! A novice hunter often looks only at the front sight and doesn't align the rear sight. The rear is often so low that the shots go right over the deer. It happened to a good hunting buddy of mine when we were in high school. He'd shot quite a bit and had shot lots of small game, but when he saw a nice buck at 30 yards, he fired five shots right over the deer and had no more ammo, so he and the deer just looked at each other.

Another friend had missed about 10 deer before he asked me for help. After seeing how bad a shot he was, I mounted a Williams 5D receiver sight on his rifle. The next deer he saw was running at 50 yards and he put a bullet through it's heart. He didn't think he'd hit it, so he put another one through the lungs. 'Nuff said.

Picher

John Y Cannuck
January 9, 2005, 08:35 AM
I've taken a lot of deer with my little '94 Winchester in 30-30. It's easily a match for the 6.5X55 OUT TO 150 YARDS. For deer in the 200lb class, the 170 Hornady interlock is all you need, you'll never need a premium, unless your pockets are over flowing with money, or you decide to stretch the old girl, and go for Elk or Moose.
I've also taken deer at 300 yards with my 6.5X55, that would have walked if I'd been carrying the 30-30. It's accurate enough, shoots flat enough, and retains energy enough for the longer shots. You may wish to use premium bullets for larger game, or long shots.

The 30-30 in the '94 is not as accurate as the Swede, but from a hunting standpoint, it is accurate enough to 150 Yards. It makes up a lot of ground, by being chambered in the short fast action carbines that typically use the cartridge. They are on target while the typical bolt gun is still in mid swing.

sebago
January 9, 2005, 08:46 AM
I would say that out to 150 yds. there's no practical difference between the two. If you already have a .30-30 and are happy with it's accuracy at that range I'd say use it and enjoy, you're not missing a thing (so to speak :) ).

Jseime
January 9, 2005, 11:52 AM
at 150 yards you're fine with either cartridge just pick the rifle you feel more comfortable with. no round will be effective if you dont like the feel of the rifle and cant shoot with it