PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight question

sks
December 27, 2004, 12:27 AM
I'm looking into finally purchasing a good flashlight and stop throwing my money away on the cheap ones that don't work. I've done some searches on TFL as well as CandlePowerForums. Both have been helpful and I would just like some personal input from those with experience. I never knew there was a whole world of flashlights out there.

Here are my requirement.

1. Bright light with a relatively tight beam.
2. Preferably the standard AA, C or D batteries. I live in El Salvador and the "specialty" batteries would not be available.
3. Semi compact - small enough to throw in the vehicle and into the travel bag for flights. It does not have to fit in my pocket.
4. At least 3 hours run time with the batteries.

Here are some that appear promising.

1. Princeton Tec Surge
2. Gerber LX3
3. Essential Gear Aluminum Handheld Torch
4. Streamlight 3C-XP

Thanks for any and all input.

JimM
December 28, 2004, 10:56 PM
I have a Princeton Tech Tec-40 that I had on my wrist the last time we got flooded at home. It got banged around quite a bit and came through with flying colors. With lithium AA batteries, it is very light. However, regular AA batteries seem to work just as well. The main difference is the weight of the batteries themselves. Replace bulbs are readily available. I have a Ray-o-vac bulb in it now that I got at WalMart (2 for @$1.50).
It is bright, lightweight, waterproof, 3-5 hours runtime according to the PT specs, and inexpensive. It is the one I grab for rough use. It may not be as bright as my Surefire G2, but it is close. Check out www.brightguy.com or the Princeton Tech website for more info.
Jim

griz
December 29, 2004, 09:35 AM
I use flashlights a good bit but don't claim any more knowledge than the average user. My experiance though is that nothing except LED lights will give you 3 hours of constant run time.

Can you mail order batteries there? The N batt's are fairly cheap if you buy a box of them, and they store for a long time.

sks
December 29, 2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the responses. I

've been doing more research and will probably go with the Surge. We can mail order things here but the shipping is high and sometimes they will give you a hard time on getting things in. We travel back and forth to the States fairly regularly so I could stock up while there.

The Electro Lumens Tri-Star Phazer is really bright and seems to fit the bill but I'm not sure if I want to drop $ 120 on a flashlight just yet. :) Even though I'm sure that it can be justified.

mikikanazawa
December 30, 2004, 12:21 AM
My personal experience with the flashlights made in China are that they are suuuuper flaky. Never had a problem with a Mag-Lite, and the switch has a positive feel.

IIRC, many (if not all) the Streamlights are made in China. Lots of people here might come to their rescue, but personally, the "Made in China" decal is what has kept me away from them.

I know the Sure Fire doesn't meet your common battery prerequisite, but they sell the batteries in a 12-pack for $15. At that price you could buy 100 batteries and not be out too much money.

sks
December 30, 2004, 11:54 AM
mikikanazawa: I'm not sure if the Princeton Tecs are made in China or not. Maybe someone else on the board would know. That label generally turns me off as well. But as time goes by it is just about on everything under the sun.

I remember a time when Wal-Mart's big point was made in the USA. Now that they have killed all the little stores you can't find anythign made in the USA.

I will check further into who makes the Princeton Tec lights.

thanks for the post.

sks

sks
December 30, 2004, 01:49 PM
According to the www.brightguy.com website many of the Streamlights are made in the USA as well as the Princeton Tecs. I went ahead and purchased the PT Surge and will see how it goes.

gunrunner
December 30, 2004, 09:10 PM
Surefire is the way to go. they have fairly broad specs on the flashlights, some with built in charger so you dont need batteries. they have LI so the shelf life is 10 years. batteries are cheap from them so keep a set, they last 10 years. superbright or get the long lasting LED setup over 50 hours. lots of options. big and small. they are cheap for the nice pocket type . 30.00 will last your lifetime. the aluminum are super tough. the best flashlight i have ever bought then i went and bought 3 more. wish i could find a need for that 200.00 one. if your on a cheap budget , the MAG would be second place.

gunrunner
December 30, 2004, 09:13 PM
ooppss here is the link if you want to look thru them.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/932/sesent/00

sks
January 1, 2005, 11:53 AM
gunrunner: Yeah, SF sure does have some nice lights. The M6 is really nice, but alas cannot be justified. :) I'm going to be in the States in January and would like to hit a couple of the gun stores to "play" with the SFs that they have in stock. I've still got some funds that can be spent towards another light.

I've been kinda leary of getting these lights due to the high cost of their batteries compared to the run time and the fact that I will have to stock up on batteries before leaving the US. After playing with them I might change my mind.

abelew
January 3, 2005, 09:08 PM
I vote Maglite......have used these for years, never had one that crapped out. Used them in the Air Force, and they got beat to hell and back, and still worked. You get a real powerfull light with the 4d cell, but its big....useful if you want a club-light. They even carry an extra bulb in the battery cap. Its what I use, but Id love to have a surefire for pocket carry and tactical situations (less bulk, would have a gun (better than club). Im a gizmo lover though, and the mag would do in that capacity too (cops love them also)