PDA

View Full Version : my dad braught these home,

pepsquad
December 26, 2004, 09:25 AM
when he went to say good bye to uncle who is dying.
http://img138.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img138&image=winchester4xt.jpg
This one is a winchester model 1894, serial number says it was made in 1907
http://img138.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img138&image=savage4rc.jpg
Savage 99, made in 1949

The Winchester was my grandfaters, the savage my uncles deer rifle. Merry Christmas to me! I hope every one else had a Holiday that was as fun as mine. oh well off to the range to see how these things shoot. :)

hopefully these pictures will work

gburner
December 26, 2004, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your Uncle dying. Hope it doesn't interfere with your fun at the range too much while you're shooting his guns. Merry Christmas back atcha.

varoadking
December 26, 2004, 10:57 AM
Hope it doesn't interfere with your fun at the range too much while you're shooting his guns.

No kiddin' - that would be a real bummer. Maybe he'll go to the funeral - then again, maybe not...

Oldphart
December 26, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hey, lighten up guys! Everybody dies. It's part of life. If you don't want to die, then don't live. As one who is gingerly (though not too eagerly) peeking through the door to the next life, I don't blame the original poster for looking on the bright side. Besides, for all we know his uncle may have been an [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] and everyone in the family is glad to see him gone. I have an aunt who's like that. She's going to drop off soon and we intend to hold a wake instead of a funeral. Even her kids are attending.

pepsquad
January 10, 2005, 06:51 PM
my uncle is one of the best people i know, who is suffering massively, he gave these guns to my father as a last gift to me. Which i appreciate more then anything. I will be glad to see my GODFATHER go because he is in so much pain. I'm really unimpressed with the first two replies :barf: .

pepsquad
January 10, 2005, 06:55 PM
maybe the pictures will work this time????? :confused:
http://img149.exs.cx/img149/8806/winchester6zp.jpg
http://img149.exs.cx/img149/5815/savage6cg.jpg

joab
January 10, 2005, 07:39 PM
My sons have strict orders to physically remove anybody caught crying at my funeral.

If I ever do decide to die I will be giving everything away before hand so that i can see them enjoying my gifts.

BCBR
January 10, 2005, 07:49 PM
Congrats on the Hierlooms/rifles and i would have checked them out as well,my Dad gave me a Win.30/30 when I turned 18,found out it was made in 1917 . I am 45 now and knew it had been around as it belonged to his Father. Try and take real care with them .mine is priceless.

jefnvk
January 10, 2005, 09:30 PM
I shot one of those Savage 99 for the first time the other day. I am simply impressed with that rifle. Sorry to hear about your uncle, though.

beenthere
January 11, 2005, 12:14 PM
Accept them in the spirit in which they were given. I started parcelling out some of my guns to my son and my son-in-law last year. I'm only 65 and as far as I know nothing wrong, but it's time to be thinking of what I don't want the tax man to get. I'm thinking of setting a couple aside for grandsons too.

Your uncle is to be admired for showiing the affection he has for you in the only way left for him.

pepsquad
January 11, 2005, 09:03 PM
I have more fun with those guns just sitting around talking about them and my uncle, and in the case of the winchester the original owner my grandfather (who i didn't know) is the best gift i could have been given :cool: . they are my favorites, of my small collection, though the awesome responsibility of "keeping them in the family" as my uncle requested has me thinking. :rolleyes:

MAUSER88
January 12, 2005, 08:48 PM
Good for you Pepsquad. Always think of your Uncle while shooting them.

iamkris
January 12, 2005, 09:30 PM
I didn't know my maternal grandfather. He died 2 years before I was born. My father isn't a shooter so my mom gove me his Win 97 shotgun and 73 Trapdoor. She says she thinks of him knowing that I shoot them.

I view passing down guns as keeping a bit of your spirit alive...certainly not a sad thing. People will always think of you when they pick up one of "your special" ones.

Ozzieman
January 12, 2005, 09:39 PM
Are you ready for this.

A model 4, 1856 54 cal Bunsides rifle.
If I had the cased ammo to fire in it I would trust it, its that nice.
Now the question,,,
Any one know of the 1856 Burnsides?

cedarsavage
January 15, 2005, 12:32 PM
Nice guns, good luck with them. (Scope looks butt-ugly on the 99)

The Burnside carbine model 4 was a percussion breechloader made from 1862-65, about 50,000 were made. It was designed by Ambrose E. Burnside who later became a Union Army General.
An unfortunate incident involving an Uncle and a jealous barber resulted in an ear being razored off. This led to Ambose's paranoia about his ears. He would viciously attack anybody getting near his ears with any edged instrument. As a General, he was able to get away with this, but his barbers learned to leave his ear areas untouched. This of course resulted in a huge growth of sideburns, which became known as "Burnsides".

taa, cs :D