PDA

View Full Version : remington vls .308

arrggg
December 20, 2004, 05:26 AM
I have 1 of these rifles with i believe a 1 in 12 twist .308, so far it seems to shoot 180 gr bullets more accurately than 150, and by a fair margin, my understanding is that in theory the 150gr should be better all else being equal. I recently shot a 1.5 inch 15-20 round group of 180s at 100yrds with no rest in between and two fliers out to about 2 inch, whereas with 150gr i was all over the place, does this make any sense at all seems backwards to me, or maybe the 150s were just a bad lot, all factory ammo.

keens
December 20, 2004, 09:25 AM
First let me say that I really like your choice in rifles...I want one of those too.
You are correct in the 1 in 12 twist...as far as ammo is concerned, you may try various types of ammo through your rifle before you find one that it "likes" the best. It could be the most expensive, or it could be the cheapest...my experience has been the best with Federal premium line, and the Remington line loaded with the NBT bullets. But your rifle may like something else better...I had a Weatherby 7 mag. that loved the Hornady line...but only the 162 grain bullet.
The grain weight of the bullet will have an effect...sometimes the exact same ammo with different bullet weight can make a big difference.
What I do when I get a new rifle is try a few different types and bullet weights until I find what it shoots best and stay with it. My .308's have always liked the 165 grain bullets the best...and the Federal 168 grain match boattail surprizes me when I shoot it everytime out of my LTR. Keep the bore clean of copper build up which can really affect accuracy. I use Hunters Extreme Copper Melt...takes about 10 - 15 minutes to get out all the copper and restore accuracy.
Hope this helps...

bill k
December 20, 2004, 11:19 AM
I've found with my rifles, some like heavy bullets, some like light bullets others in between weights. My 30-06 is best with 180g but shoots all over the place with 140' or 150g bullets.
My 300 likes light bullets 150g but hates the 180's. Then my 22-250 shoots only 52g, anything higher or lower in weight it patterns like a shot gun.

Wolfen
December 20, 2004, 01:42 PM
New here.... looks to be interesting. I have a VLS in .243, great gun. However, when I first got it, it shot terrible. After a little inspection, I found the stock had not been inlet completely and was bearing on the barrel slightly. Not a lot, but enough to mess with the accuracy. Try sliding a piece of paper between the barrel and the stock, if it hangs up, you need to sand it out until the paper slides freely. That may help your accuracy with your chosen load. If it slides fine, then I agree with the other posters, just keep experimentiing with different loads. You'll find one your gun likes.........

scottys1
December 21, 2004, 10:57 PM
Go with it!
The barrel twist/bullet weight thing can be talked about forever, but all that really matters is what shoots in your rifle.
I have a .30-06 that really likes a particular Winchester 150 gr. load and a particular Remington 180 gr. load. I forget the exact loads, but I have several boxes of each in my inventory.