PDA

View Full Version : .308 or 7.62x51?

Steve Smith
October 11, 2000, 07:21 PM
This would normally go under "Reloading" but I know it will get more attention here. I will begin reloading for my M1A soon. I will probably be buying an Entreprise STG-58 (FAL) soon. TECHNICALLY, the M1A shoots .308 Win and the STG shoots 7.62x51. BUT, (I'm sure you can see my delimma brewing) I only want to load one type of case, if possible. I plan on going to the Tulsa gun show, and I will hopefully find a good price on reloadable .308 cartridges or cases. Should I just buy a butt load of .308 and use it in both (hoping that the adjustable gas system in the STG can handle the .308) or should I keep the ammo for each rifle seperate, reloaded seperately, and everything, forever?

Here's what I'd like to do: Buy a butt load (bigger than a s*** load) of .308 cartridges, and as I shoot 'em (in both rifles?) start reloading them. I'll then reload them seperately, downloading the STG ammo a bit. I will be loading the M1A ammo for top accuracy. I am not as concerned with accuracy in the STG, but I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it.

I know this is confusing, but if you understand it, please give your 2 cents. Thanks.

Turk
October 11, 2000, 08:26 PM
Frontsight,

All the 308 Win. is a civilian spinoff of the 7.62 NATO.

7.62 NATO cases have a thicker wall than the civilian 308 Win. cases plus the primer is crimped. Reloading military cases you need to reduce your powder charges at least five percent due to case wall thickness

Load to military spec's and you shouldn't have any problems with either rifles.

My M1A SuperMatch shoots both military and civilian brass without any problems.

Turk

Steve Smith
October 12, 2000, 12:04 AM
I'[m not so much worried about the M1A as I am about the STG. The .308 is actually a higher pressure round, despite the 7.62 having a thicker case. If I load the ammo for the STG at the same pressures as standard .308, then I with be over the spec pressure max for the 7.62 but with a thinner case too!

As I said, I will be loading the M1A's ammo for top accuracy, and therefore I will probably be within 10% of max loading. This is probably close to the top 2% of max loading for the STG (using .308 cases) I'm still confused.

Mikul
October 12, 2000, 09:55 AM
This question comes up a lot on the FAL files. There is a lot of support for Hirtenberger ammunition which is loaded in .308.