PDA

View Full Version : Marlin .22 LR self loader

SanDiegan
December 18, 2004, 06:51 PM
My wife's grandfather gave me his Marlin .22 rifle he has had for a while, he is not much of a shooter, Im not sure why he bought it, but at any rate he gave it to me because he knows that I do enjoy shooting often....anyways..when I saw it, I thought.."cool, a plinker, and it's a Marlin to boot", but I have been having some issues with the brass "stovepiping" upon ejection. The rifle is .22 LR only, and I have been firing 40 grain Federals. Is the problem with my ammo or with the rifle?

Invicta
December 18, 2004, 06:59 PM
Thats a common problem with 22 rifles. Give it a good cleaning this should help.

Marcus
December 19, 2004, 04:14 PM
Try a few different brands of ammo too. With cheap bulk .22 ammo even batch matters. I have a 500rd. box of Federals right now that just won`t cycle my Buckmark fully. They even sound weak. They cycle my 10/22 although they only eject about a foot from the gun. I`ve had other boxes of the same Federal ammo that ran fine through both guns. My Marlin model 60 will shot most stuff but in it`s old age it doesn`t care much for Winchester bulk ammo and seems to love Rem. Thunderbolts. The great thing about .22s though is that it`s cheap and kinda fun to experiment. :) Marcus

wudjalike2no
December 19, 2004, 04:28 PM
federals gve my pistol a hard time, get the remington 550 rnd brick

joab
December 19, 2004, 04:38 PM
federals gve my pistol a hard time, get the remington 550 rnd brick I have the exact same problem with one of my .22s and the exact opposite problem with another.

Most common fix is to clean it. Alot of .22 ammo is dirty.
Most of mine like CCI

dfaugh
December 19, 2004, 05:02 PM
that was (also) given to me...In looking for the most accurate load, I've put 50 rounds of almost every brand and type of .22 ammo available through it, then hundreds of rounds of 2 or three of the better performers besides, all in the last year. It has never failed to cycle the action with ANY load I've tried (Except CB caps, but thats to be expected, but it even feeds them manually)...Had a couple that didn't feed, but that was usually 'cause I didn't get the tube stop thingy in tight. I clean it, but not very religiously or even carefully sometimes...Suspect a good dissasembly and cleaning would do it for you, otherwise you may need a 'smith.

kevin387
December 20, 2004, 12:56 PM
Check to see if the gun was kept with the tube full. If it was it may have caused the spring to weaken which could cause the problem. If that's the case it will be a quick easy fix.

kevin

guntotin_fool
December 20, 2004, 01:05 PM
get a good gun and powder solvent and scrub it out, there might be enough crud in the rails that the bolt is not cycling far enough or fast enough to get the shell out. Ammo makes a huge difference too. go to the local gun shop and buy one of each of what they carry and see what works and what shoots the best, you may find they are not compatible. I have a 10/22 that will function all the time on cci but gets its best accuracy with agguilar (SP) mexian ammo. you have to see what you can trade off.

clean it first tho, a lot of old oil gets sticky over time and that is more than likely the cause.

WillBrayjr
December 20, 2004, 01:13 PM
Take the rifle to a gunsmith and have it checked for wear and tear and completely cleaned, this should take care of the problem. I wouldn't shoot Federal .22lr ammo either. My grandfather and I always shot Winchester WildCat rounds through his Ruger 10/22 and never had a problem one. WildCats can be bought by the brick for $10.00 We only started having malfunctions when my grandfather started using Federal American Eagle.

SanDiegan
December 29, 2004, 05:22 PM
Cleaned the hell out of it. Took it to the range and had the same problem. I take it to the rangemaster for his 2 cents, he says that I need to be firing high velocity not standard (which I had been). I put a box of American Eagle's High Velocity through it without a problem. Thanks to all for input.

dfaugh
December 30, 2004, 10:47 AM
you shouldn't be having any problems, if everything is normal....I've (literally) fed mine every type of ammo I could get (looking for most accurate loads) and its never bobbled once.