PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a new rifle...

jbetz
October 8, 2000, 08:39 PM
In the market for a new rifle. I was thinking about a .300 or .308. I want to get something for l o n g range target shooting and hunts but I need some suggestions. I would like to keep the $$$ as low as possible so if any of you guys have a great rifle/scope combo to sing about let me know! Thanks!

Arizona Fusilier
October 9, 2000, 12:41 AM
I think a Remington 700 ADL would be the way to go' topped off with a Simmons Whitetail Classic. That would be my minimum standards for an "economy" model.

Bob Locke
October 9, 2000, 07:41 PM
Take a look at anything with the name "Savage" on it if economy is the way you want to go. They offer packages of their 10 and 110 rifles in almost any chambering you want, complete with a scope and hard-side case for about $400-425. I think the scopes are Simmons, if I recall correctly.

I have a Savage 10FP in .308 (24" barrel) with a Tasco World Class 3-9x50 scope and Harris bipod slung underneath. I have about $650 total in the rig, and I have shot with guys who have 2-4 times as much money invested and come away their equal or better. If you're going hunting with the rifle in question, that's probably not the one for you because it's too darned heavy to lug around the woods.

I'd also urge you to get some prices from your local dealers on Tikka rifles. They are made by Sako in Finland, and you basically get a Sako rifle without paying for the Sako name brand.

And if you are going to stay on the low end in the scope department, I would steer you toward Tasco over Simmons or Burris. They are in the same price range, but my experience has been that Tasco delivers a superior product. If you're going to pony up an additional $100 or so, get a Leupold.

Hope that helps a little.