PDA

View Full Version : My 77/22 has a problem...

JonJon
October 6, 2000, 11:46 AM
it needs a scope. I just picked up the target/varmit model and it looks and feels really nice. I plan on using it for target and plinking, no varmit hunting. I've done a search on various brands within this forum and it seems like Leupold is one of the best, but they are out of my budget. I was thinking about a 3-9X40 scope that costs $250 or less. Secondly what brands are reputable and which should I definately steer clear of? Thanks so much.

awisler
October 6, 2000, 12:35 PM
JonJon -- I'm far from being a scope expert, but I recently went through the same decision for the same rifle. My conclusion is that you probably don't need to spring for a very expensive scope, as the main benefit over cheaper scopes is sturdiness, and recoil is not an issue here. I looked at scopes by Weaver, Bushnell, and Tasco, and finally got a Bushnell 4-12x40 which I was very happy with. I personally wouldn't go with a larger objective than 40, or you'll have to mount it on high rings -- the 40 mounted on the supplied Ruger rings (?medium height?). I did think that an adjustable objective is useful here, since most non-adjustable objectives are set at about 150 yds, which is a little optimistic for this rifle. This may be especially useful if you use it for target shooting at 50 yds. I would recommend going to a large store with a lot of scopes in stock, and look through a bunch of them; pick the one you like best, which has the clearest image, and it'll probably be sturdy enough for this application. You should probably be able to get an acceptable one for less than $150. YMMV, and others may have differing opinions. Best wishes.

Andrew

radom
October 7, 2000, 01:35 AM
I went with a Tasco 3x9 40 on my 77/22 due to the price and value. Tasco has a idiot proof warranty on their better scopes as they call it. They will fix or replace for free for anything but theft. The scope and gun puts 3 rounds into one hole at 100 yards if I do my thing right. Does it get any better than that? :) The World Class is a good one for the price. I also have a box full of broken Bushnel scopes I should take to the dump.

MADISON
October 7, 2000, 11:25 AM
I have a Bushnell 4x12x40 on my 22 Hornet and it works extremely well. HIGH RINGS are required [extra expense]. When you get the scope on the rifle you will find that it will focus as close aas 15 feet.

awisler
October 7, 2000, 04:18 PM
FYI, JonJon, I'm told that Ruger will trade the supplied rings for taller ones if you need them (I didn't, so can't speak from experience, but that's what I was told).

JonJon
October 7, 2000, 10:24 PM
awisler,
I did some shopping around locally and online, and have decided on a bushnell trophy 4-15X40. Its got A/O and semi turrets and looks like it would be a perfect match for less than $200. How well did the ruger rings work on your scope, because MADISON said his scope didn't fit. Thanks.

awisler
October 8, 2000, 01:22 PM
I have a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 with A/O(slightly cheaper than the trophy model, apparently) which mounted perfectly with the medium rings (the ones supplied with my rifle). This was one of my prerequisites, to keep the offset down. I looked at a Weaver scope with a 42mm objective which wouldn't have fit. My guess is that you should be OK, but if you do need the high rings, check to see if Ruger will swap them for the mediums -- the dealer who sold me the rifle said they would. Let us know how it turns out.

Andrew

700PSS Shooter
October 8, 2000, 02:15 PM
The Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 are nice and still can be found cheap (<$179 for a 3-9X40)

The Bushnell Elite 3200 are also nice at sub-$250. The Elite 3200 is the updated version.

I am using the Bushnell 4-12X40AO (airgun version) on an RWS airgun and it is great. Would be nice for .22 as it focuses to well below 10 yards.

JonJon
October 8, 2000, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will be picking up the rifle next Sunday and the scope should be in that week as well. Hopefully by that weekend I will have a range report. Stay safe.