PDA

View Full Version : Carbines

TEC
October 1, 2000, 04:45 PM
What actually classifies a carbine? Any history here?

Also, Is it pronounced "CAR-BEAN" or "CAR-BYNE"?

------------------
Bling Bling

johnwill
October 1, 2000, 04:56 PM
Basically, the carbine is a short barreled rifle. I've seen a number of different descriptions that try to say what defines a carbine, but I know of no "official" one. My M1 Carbine has an 18.5" barrel, and even the military thought it was a carbine... :)

FWIW, Websters thinks:

car•bine \"kar-'ben, -'bin\ noun [F carabine, fr. MF carabin carabineer] (1605)

1: a short-barreled lightweight firearm orig. used by cavalry

2: a light short-barreled repeating rifle that is used as a supplementary military arm or for hunting in dense brush

TEC
October 8, 2000, 10:50 AM
btt

------------------
"Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock" -Tommy Lee Jones

ScottS
October 8, 2000, 11:55 AM
One of the slick gun mags had a dissertaion on it some time ago. The gun writer was "offended" that people were using the terms "short rifle" and "carbine" interchangably. Seems there is a distinction having to do with barrel bands and some other stuff.

As for me, it just means a short barrel, but I guess there's a proper form to these things.

Scott

700PSS Shooter
October 8, 2000, 02:40 PM
>>>One of the slick gun mags had a dissertaion on it some time ago. The gun writer was "offended" that people were using the terms "short rifle" and "carbine" interchangably. Seems there is a distinction having to do with barrel bands and some other stuff.<<<

I have found that view primarily with Winchester (and others like Marlin) levergun collectors as it helps fully and accurately describe a given firearm. Barrel bands=carbine. No bands=short rifle. Winchester simply made too many variants and custom order firearms to use a generic descriptor.

Common vernacular goes with short barrel is a carbine, however for Winchester lever guns, it makes a critical difference.

johnwill
October 8, 2000, 02:54 PM
I guess my M94 with a barrel band is the "Carbine", nice to know. :)

Gewehr98
October 8, 2000, 03:27 PM
That was John Taffin who was having a hemmorhage over the misuse of the terms "carbine" and "short rifle". I think he also gets bent out of shape if anybody says ".45 Long Colt" within earshot...

Here's my definition of carbine:
http://www.geocities.com/gew98.geo/m95steyrcavalry.jpg