PDA

View Full Version : cases sticking in cylinder

sledgemeister
December 9, 2004, 01:08 AM
Hi yall,
I have a ruger redhawk revolver, and have a problem of using any thing more than a gentle target load the cases stick in the cylinder.
I have polished the honed them, checked with a micrometer for right size, etc nothing seems to be wrong.
When I reload, the cases are properly sized etc as well.
Any thoughts.
I have no problem with my .357 revolver or others only this one.

4V50 Gary
December 9, 2004, 01:13 AM
Are you loading your cartridges hot?

sledgemeister
December 9, 2004, 01:45 AM
if you mean are the primers flattened definately not.
for example, i can load 7.5gr 231 with a 240g projectile and no problems.
as soon as i moved it to 8gr they start to stick, its like the brass expands too much.
If i use the same loads in a mates ruger super redhawk the cases fall out no probs.
The hottest i have loaded was full magnum loads with win 296 and they stuck, as with 231 at 10gr same projectile weights.

4V50 Gary
December 9, 2004, 11:55 AM
Take your calipers and measure the diameter between the two Rugers. Lemme know what you get. I'm wondering if their cutting die "shrunk" from being worn. If this is the case, it's a trip back to Ruger for a new cylinder.

sledgemeister
December 9, 2004, 07:03 PM
will do!
although when we measured they did come up to spec of what was supposed to be.
But i will measure between the two.
good suggestion!

James K
December 9, 2004, 10:05 PM
Hi, guys,

Chambers vary because the factory makes the chamber reamers to the "outside" of the spec. Then, as the reamer wears, it is resharpened. This goes on until the reamer is smaller than the "inside" of the spec, at which point it is discarded*. As a general rule, cases stick in larger chambers, not smaller. If the brass is on the small side, or the sizing die is, the brass can expand beyond the point where it will spring back and so will stick in the chamber. Frequently reloaded brass can increase the problem and of course hot loads exacerbate the problem, but they don't really cause it.

*The same process applies to reaming reloading dies, reaming cartridge drawing dies, etc. These differences usually cancel out by chance, but if, again by chance, a shooter ends up with tolerances stacking, he can have trouble.

Jim

WESHOOT2
December 11, 2004, 07:01 AM
What brand cases stick?

mikikanazawa
December 12, 2004, 02:50 AM
If you're shooting lots of .38 Spl in your .357, a carbon ring will form in the cylinder where the .38 case stops. A longer .357 case will hang up on it. (And that carbon can be a pain to clean!)