PDA

View Full Version : GA. Hunting

JKump
December 7, 2004, 06:11 AM
I hunt here in middle Georgia, mostly for white tails, but in the future some varmint hunting. I have the chance to pick up an H&R (New England firearms) Handi rifle in .243 for $200 dollars. Any comments on this rifle and caliber would be helpful.

Long Path
December 7, 2004, 05:48 PM
I have a HandiRifle in .22 Hornet. It's appropriately named-- it's a very handy rifle. However, mine is a little rough in the trigger, and the trigger is utterly NON-adjustable. My friend bought one for his father in .44 Mag, and it's a beauty with walnut and traditional blue. His has an excellent trigger. Luck of the draw.

My Hornet gives 1" groups at a hundred yards, and dropped a 200 lb wild sow like a bad habit from 80 yds. (Not recommended!)

As for .243 single shots in GA, my good friend Tamara had what I felt was a PERFECT deer rig while hunting deer in NE GA with me last year with her Ruger single shot in .243. The deer that I saw looked like they'd easily have dropped to a well-placed .243 shot. I was unfortunately not able to go back this year, but had I gone, I would have brought my newly-acquired Pre-64 M70... in 243. I'm sure that there's more open terrain out there, but mostly shots seemed to be well under 200 yards, and the deer seem to be under 150 lbs. With the 100g loads, a .243 makes good sense out there.

For varmints, try the 60 and 75g offerings from Sierra and Hornady and Speer. For deer, I like the sectional density of the 100g bullets only.

$200 sounds about right. Don't forget the niftyness of being able to get other barrels for it.

Ruger # 1
December 13, 2004, 09:37 PM
The .243 is my favorite deer round. With a good bullet, it will do anything a larger caliber will. The farthest I've ever had a deer go after being shot with a .243 was about 30 yards. Most have fallen much sooner than that. The best bullets I've used so far are the 85gr. and 95 gr. Nosler Partition's. But about any bullet 90 grs. or higher will do the job just fine.

JKump
December 15, 2004, 09:44 AM
I just bought the rifle today. An NEF Handi rifle (Ultra Light) in .243. Lock stock and barrel for $200. Now I need to get a good scope.

Long Path
December 15, 2004, 06:20 PM
Congratulations! Don't lose that little hammer spur extender that came with it-- it makes it more convenient to cock the rifle when you've got a scope on it.

What finish and furniture did you get on it?

JKump
December 16, 2004, 07:25 AM
The first thing I did was put on the hammer spur extended so I would not lose it. Blued barrel with synthetic stock. I am looking at a Nikon 4x32 scope for it.