PDA

View Full Version : Used savage 110

ratkiller
December 5, 2004, 12:08 AM
I just found a used savage 110 in .243 the price is $295, I was thinking getting it for an all around gun, considering the response to my other threads.
Let me know what you think, or if I should keep looking.

PATH
December 5, 2004, 01:19 AM
Hard to know what to say. What shape is it in? What does the bore look like? Is there any damage or wear?

John Ringo
December 5, 2004, 03:31 AM
The Savage isn't a super expensive gun. The 110 retails for about $550 new. Just check it out closely before you buy.

plateshooter
December 5, 2004, 09:00 AM
I just picked up a 110 in 243 from Wal Mart a couple months ago. It's probably the most accurate rifle I own. A little clean up on the trigger, and a Sightron scope, and it shoots any ammo I've tried an inch or better off of sandbags and a bench. I'm very happy with the one I have.

ratkiller
December 5, 2004, 02:30 PM
There where not any problems that I could see, but I did look at it that much, and I am not used to doing that sort of thing .

My line of thought is if its a little worse than a new one and for 200 bucks less, I can live with it

cntryboy1289
December 5, 2004, 02:53 PM
Buy the gun and give it a thorough cleaning as well as get a good a reasonably priced scope. Give it a try at the range and then evaluate the gun from there. There are a lot of simple things to try from there if things aren't up to par. Worst come to worst, you could end up needing a new barrel, although not very likely. Even if this is the case, it is a simple matter of letting Savage rebarrel it for you at a reasonable price. Chances are you will be surprised at how accurate the gun is. Let us know how it shoots and maybe we can all help with any problems you may have. Good shooting.

SmokinTom
December 5, 2004, 04:52 PM
If its in decent shape buy it,its worth it.

ratkiller
December 5, 2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the advice countryboy, I think I will after I get my x-mas shopping done, I will also let y'all know how turns out.

dccuk
December 6, 2004, 12:43 PM
I'm trying to sell a 110 in .243 right now (with a Nikko scope).......
but I'm in the UK and I think I'll be lucky to get 150 GBP/approx 285 USD on a trade-in to a dealer.
For some reason Savages aren't that popular over here - there were problems with a change of UK importer and after market support
However, I have another 110 in .270 (Weaver scope) and a an early (1906) 99 in 30.30 with a nice little aperture sight (not sure of the make) I'd be interested to hear what the 99 would fetch in the USA?

DCC UK

NACO64
December 6, 2004, 02:35 PM
Not a bad price. Spend at least as much on a really good scope scope and mounts. Carefully bed the stock, spend +/- $100 on a good trigger - Sharpshooter and Basix are a bargain and easy to set up. Shoot out the barrel while you learn to hit things and reload for accuracy. Then replace the barrel - by then you'll know what caliber and chamber you want and what a good stock is.

Really great accuracy, toughness, reliability, and functionality can be had from a Savage 110 (et al) for a fraction of the price of anything else. You can cut your umbilicals to gunsmiths - scratching the wait, cost, and, shaky fulfillment. Parts are available, cheap, high quality, and easy to fit.

Don't scrimp on sighting equipemt quality! You can buy used, cheap - provided the scope has lifetime warranty support (like Leupold!).

Good luck.

Naco

Harry Bonar
December 6, 2004, 08:33 PM
Sir:
The Savage is the best rifle for your money. It has a floating bolt-head that allows both lugs to bear - sometying you'll find in only about %10 of Remingtons and Winchesters. Much accuracy testing is done with the 110 Savage. Harry Bonar :)

Norton
December 6, 2004, 08:54 PM
I bought one in 30 '06 in like new condition and was really impressed with the accuracy....even with open sights. I finally got a scope put on it and am looking forward to taking it out again.

ratkiller
December 6, 2004, 09:58 PM
I bought it today, I can't wait to go to the range and try it out.

Thanks to every one for the great advice. :)

LIEBERT
December 9, 2004, 04:45 PM
i have a 100 in 308 that i like alot. i have not done any work to it and an shooting about 1- 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards. a friend does reload for me though. for the money i have been very happy. filled the freezer couple of times. so you can see i am a utility guy first, beauty second.

Jseime
December 31, 2004, 07:21 PM
snap that gun up if its in good shape great caliber i have a savage 110 in .270 and its a good gun