PDA

View Full Version : speaking of mini14's...age vs PCnism?

Satanta
September 24, 2000, 08:21 PM
[[couldn't think of a better way to topic this so hope y'all fergive me. ;) ]]

OK...had a mini14 geez....15 years ago. [[~sigh~]] There wasn't anything I could add to it because of it's age-no aftermarket parts.

So now if I want one I get the PC version...they only take the single stack mags. Am I right about this?

Also-I'm thinking the 14's used to take the AR mags. Is this correct or not?

What 'age' should I consider so I don't end up with a PC-10rd only shooter if I start looking at them?

FireForged
September 24, 2000, 09:31 PM
The Mini-14's take a double stack mag but the current one come with a 5-rounder. It will still accept the high-cap mags (make sure this is legal in your area). As far as I know they WILL-NOT take a AR Style mag. There is a Ramline mag that claims to fit both AR's and Mini's. I have not seen one in person and do not know how they achieve this.

I would suggest the SS Ranch Model with Synthetic Stock. I have found that the only aftermarket mag that works is PMI (Precision Mag Industries)

Correia
September 25, 2000, 09:56 AM
I've used those Ramline Ar/Mini mags. The are exceedingly tight in the AR receiver. As you have to shove it in, and when you push the release button you have to manually yank it out. I never used them in a Mini, and I sold them for a huge profit to somebody who was scared to death of the magazine bans. :)

4V50 Gary
September 25, 2000, 12:11 PM
Mini14s have a double stack magazine. While it is only a five rounder, you can still get aftermarket mags (PMI is about the best) for it. As for the aftermarket stuff, about the only thing I see as worthwhile is a sling and flashsuppressor Everything else is window dressing.

The barrel shroud is junk (who grabs the gun by that part of the barrel?). Bipod - for something that light? Scope mount (get a Ranch). Synthetic stock (good, but doesn't Ruger have one by now?).

FireForged
September 25, 2000, 06:16 PM
Hey Gary...You stole my post. LOL ;)