PDA

View Full Version : What does NRM actually mean?

Glock Hoss
November 17, 2004, 09:49 PM
I'm sure it has been covered, but the search engine is acting up for me. I know that technically, it means New Roll Mark or something like that, but what does that mean? If I went in to buy a Colt (which I would like to do this weekend), how do I know it is a 1991 (1911?) NRM Colt? Can someone post pictures of NRM Colts vs. non NRM?

I know it sounds like I am new at this, and well, I am new with 1911's. I have many Glocks (which I love), a couple .22's and one SA Loaded model. I really like this 1911, but I thought I would give a Colt a shot. I recently got a raise and have money to blow. Have not bought a gun in a couple months, so I figured, what the hell. I need to be schooled. I am reading other forums such as 1911forums.org and the like so please dont suggest that. Thanks for the help folks.

Hoss

Ala Dan
November 17, 2004, 09:52 PM
Att: Glock Hoss

Colts definition of NRM is "New Roll Mark".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

RickB
November 18, 2004, 12:07 PM
When Colt added the M1991A1 line in 1992, they rollmarked the slides with, no surprise, "M1991A1" in big letters. Colt revamped the '91 line a few years ago, changing from a matte military-style finish, to a polished blue finish more like the Government Models of old. At the same time, they changed the slide markings to a much more appealing style ("Colt's Government Model" along with the caliber and the rampant colt logo, which did not appear on the original '91s), but they didn't change the model number. For a while, if you ordered a '91 from a distributor, you might get an old one, rather than a new-production gun, so to differentiate, the newer guns became informally known as the New Roll Mark model. They are a much better-made gun than the older ones. I have a '98-vintage .45 and a '04 .38 Super, and the new gun is better in every way.

Glock Hoss
November 18, 2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks, I think I get it now.

AUG
November 19, 2004, 12:32 AM
The NRM 1991's are the best .45 acp's under $1000 of all time. Springers and Kimber's do not compare.