PDA

View Full Version : Quite the dillemma .45 vs .380

erehwesle
November 16, 2004, 06:06 PM
Well, I've finally decided to get a CCW, and have been thinking of something along the lines of a NAA .380 or Barretta Cheetah (which is really expensive, unfortunately). I know this is a fairly small caliber, but I wanted something I'd actually carry, and not being that experienced with CCW, thought I'd start out with a pocket type gun.

However... my local gun shop has a lovely used Kimber Pro Carry II for $400 in 45 ACP. I really love the .45, and it looks to be in excellent condition, supposedly only had about three trips to the range before the guy who bought it decided he wanted a full sized model.

It isn't really a pocket gun, though, which brings up for me (inexperienced in concealed carry) a host of other possible difficulties, but I really prefer the 45 to a .380, or even a .38 special (I know.. some of the +p rounds are good, but gosh darn it there is something satisfying about a 45)

What do y'all think? Does the price sound reasonable, etc..?

trapshooter
November 16, 2004, 06:12 PM
I think you can always get a .380 for your pocket, but you better get the Kimber for your belt. ;)

ghostdoc
November 16, 2004, 06:21 PM
Sounds to me like you really want the 45. I would. I look at these mouse guns all the time and am tempted, but the truth is I can fire a 45 better and the intimidation factor is surely greater with the Pro Carry and it's a pretty good range gun too. I'm not saying the little guys are no good, I personally would just prefer the 45, especially for $400. Im just not a good enough shot for a gun so small. Now if I could only carry in this God Forsaken State. Good luck to ya. gd

horge
November 16, 2004, 07:15 PM
If you can dependably conceal and shoot a .45,
then forget about the .380. No contest at all.

You can always get the .380 later on....
along with the seven other calibers you juuuuust gotta have
hehe

;)

erehwesle
November 16, 2004, 07:20 PM
I'm obviously trying to talk myself into the .45 :)

You guys are such enablers.

The_Shootist
November 16, 2004, 09:19 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like my 1911 and shoot it well. Just that in the weather we get here in Texas for 8 mos of the year, it gets a bit heavy and sweaty to lug around.

I agree the Cheetah is nice.....I have the model 87 which is very nice. Thought about getting its biiger brother in .380 - until I walked into my favorite gunstore and saw an all black Bersa Thunder .380 for $ 200.

The rest is history. That Bersa is accurate, concealable and feeds EVERYTHING. Very easy to tote all day in hot weather.

gbran
November 16, 2004, 09:29 PM
600 Nitro pocket gun that weighs 18oz, has a 30 round capacity, fits in your front pocket and kicks like a 22. Since they don't exist, get the $400 Kimber.

IronLance
November 16, 2004, 09:44 PM
The consensus seems to be "Get the Kimber now while it's available at that price. The .380 will always be there next month or two at about the same price as before."

They're right. If you don't get the Kimber now, you'll always wish you had and you'll always have the urge to tell someone about 'the one that got away'.

Wayde

michael t
November 16, 2004, 11:53 PM
Get the Kimber then get a Bersa in 380 for 2nd gun, :D

Archer1440
November 17, 2004, 12:29 AM
When I see a question like this the first thing that comes to mind is the questioner needs training.

Don't shortchange yourself ! Get some training.

Sir William
November 17, 2004, 02:34 AM
Get to the bank. Take out $400.00. Go to the gunshop. Tell them $400.00 out the door, period. Your next purchase should be a Bersa 45 ACP. LOL

bullish_ryder
November 17, 2004, 08:23 AM
I would NOT recommend a novice CCW carry a cocked and locked .45. You should lean toward a DA .45 with a safety (Beretta Mini-Cougar FS comes to mind).

Stay away from the mouse guns. Buy a belt/holster piece and learn how to carry/operate it.

Peter

johndavid400
November 17, 2004, 09:46 AM
are you guys referring to a .380 as a mouse gun?.... lol. So what is a .45, an elephant gun? I guess then that my .22 is good for nothing :D

Erich
November 17, 2004, 09:49 AM
Good price on the Kimber; get it.

Buy a SmartCarry and forget about ever carrying a .380.

Dusty Miller
November 17, 2004, 10:14 PM
The basic option here is whether you want to pack a proven man stopper or a lesser caliber that may or may not get the job done.

pbass
November 17, 2004, 10:43 PM
Buy whatever you want, revolver or auto, compact or full-size, any caliber, and shoot it lots. The main thing is to get started.

erehwesle
November 19, 2004, 04:21 PM
I bought the kimber.

And for those of you that worry about my experience, yes I have a bit of range work to do before I start to carry it. I do have my CCW, so I guess I can at any time, I just want to make sure I know the gun well before I start to.

But it is a really, really nice gun.

And I'm not saying I might not buy a .380 in a couple of months :)

nbf1863
November 20, 2004, 11:23 PM
Try looking at a Tauras titanium 357 mag. Easy to carry and seven rounds that hit very hard. Something to think about. I would opt for a 45 if your only choices are a 380 and a 45. Judges don't like people that shoot their assailants 12 times. A 45 is a one shot, they run away or they go to the emergency room.

Nnobby45
November 21, 2004, 05:23 AM
It's my understanding that Kimber is starting to get the hang of building short bbl. .45's. The question is---have they really perfected it, yet? I've heard "mine works great" and "why isn't mine reliable?" Maybe there's more to it than the fellow who took it to the range a few times "just wanted a bigger gun." Recommend you test it with SD ammo before you bite. ;)

There are too many good, small, 9mm's out there to settle for a .380. My P230 recoils as much as my P239/9mm.