PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 MkII Accuracy

ds1300
November 11, 2004, 11:44 PM
I am contemplating purchasing a Ruger M77 MkII in .300 Win Mag but the owners of a local gunshop said that when you purchase an m77 MKII you have a 50/50 chance of getting one with poor accuracy. They said that Ruger only has a 50 yard test range and they only guarantee 2 inch groups at 50 yards. That means 4 inches at 100 yards and 8 inches at 200 yards. If true, that isn't good enough! They also said that if you have one of the bad ones you can send it back to Ruger and they will recrown the barrel but that is all they will do. Could anyone tell me if this is true? They also said that original M77's didn't have this problem.

esldude
November 11, 2004, 11:56 PM
Seems one third of Ruger's shoot well. One third are okay. And one third have poor accuracy.

I would go with a Remington 700 myself.

Rebel-1911
November 12, 2004, 07:23 AM
My Ruger 77 300 Win mag shoot horrible. All the rest of the M77's shoot great. The gun shop guns might be right. Dean

moredes
November 12, 2004, 08:22 AM
I'd recommend a Savage first and a Remington second. You'll get 'way more accuracy for your money with an Accu-trigger Savage than anything else out there. It's not uncommon to read about .3MOA accuracy out of the box, while a .5MOA Remington is more a fluke nowadays than the norm. Both guns'll easily keep you under 1MOA, and as a wise man once told me, 1MOA in the hands of a good shooter would win most state championships.

Savage has quite a few aftermarket mods available though not quite the number a Rem does; the Remington is in a class by itself though, when it comes to the number of 'reputation" gunsmiths who can tune them (to the standard of an out-of-the-box Savage).

The 'knock' on the Savage from the wannabe sniper types is that they "aren't durable and battle-worthy" but that's mostly a lot of hooey--- I've not seen any documented cases of Savage failures any more than Remingtons; "battle-worthy"(??)--the Army has had a 40yr relationship with Remington--they're not gonna drop them instantly. Retooling, parts availability, trained armourers familiar in their sleep with the 700's, are too many reasons Savage will have a hard time breaking in, but for value, I stand by Savage first, Remington second, and maybe even Winchester third, and I'd mention Browning, before a Ruger bolt action would come to mind. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Ruger except that it's just not in as great a demand, and therefore, aftermarket modifications and available *expert* 'smithing won't be as easy to find.