PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you like/own a Remington 581?

barnbuilder
November 10, 2004, 08:28 PM
I went by one of the local gunshops and they had a really clean 581 that had just come in (like an hour b4 I went there). Looks like it has had very low use, and has a Weaver K6-1 (fixed 6x power) scope on it. I had been looking for a good bolt action paper-puncher and ground squirrel gun, and was on the cusp of ordering a CZ 452 Special. The shop was non-negotiable at $200 for the 581 gun/scope combo, which was quite a bit less than what the 452 and a scope would cost me -- so against my "always-know-what-you're-buying" mantra, I plunked the money down (gotta' wait 10 days to get it :( ).

Any experience with this gun out there? The guys at the shop were pretty high on it, tho they all said a 452 would likely out-shoot it....

thanks -- my 1st post, tho I've been lurking here for awhile, I just joined today...

Pappy John
November 11, 2004, 12:08 PM
I've had one for 12 years or so for shooting paper and grey skwirls. It has a 3-9X scope and will shoot into a half inch at 50 yards off the bench with ammo that it likes....I tried quite a few brands and types to find that mine prefered Winchester Power Points. I just wish the trigger was adjustable. It's not a bad trigger....I'd just like to fiddle with it a little bit....not much.

I used low scope mounts and had to remove the plastic piece that was attached at the reciever/barrel junction in order to have clearance for the scope's objective, but it's just a cosmetic piece so it had no effect on function or accuracy.

I paid a lot less than $200 way back when, but the last one I saw at a gun show carried a $250 tag.

I'm pretty sure you'll find it money well spent.

Dave Markowitz
November 11, 2004, 12:16 PM
I used to have a left-hand 581 which I regret trading off. It was very accurate and had the best trigger I've felt on a factory rifle. If it's in good shape it's a good find.

barnbuilder
November 11, 2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words! I have a friend who had and loved a 541, which I now find out is a fancier version of the 581 -- he said he wishes he never let his go as well and thinks I'll find this one to be a keeper and a fun gun. Thanks also for the ammo tip, I'll pick some up and see how this one likes it when I get the gun and get out with it...

Johnny Guest
November 12, 2004, 04:30 PM
I chose this model for Elder Son's first firearm, some years back.

The rifle came with a single shot adaptor platform and a filler for the magazine well bottom. I installed that, sling swivels, and a aperture sight that mounts on the rear of the scope dovetail. Replaced the front bead sight with a plain post. Put on a one-inch shooting sling.

Coached the lad on shooting positions, sight placement and trigger squeeze. He dry fired a LOT before shooting any live ammo. We used only .22 LR ammo and ear protection. I didn't want him to think of this .22 as merely a slightly more powerful BB gun. The single shot use taught him that there's not always another shot if he missed with the first, or second . . .

He developed good shooting habits and marksmanship skills. I ordered one-inch scope rings and bought a fixed four-power scope. In due time, he transitioned to magazine use, and trained with the scope for high power use. It always tickled me when he shot better groups at 100 yards with that .22 than some of the guys did with their heavily-scoped deer rifles. When he graduated to use of a centerfire, he didn't have to fumble around learning to shoot AND deal with recoil and noise.

My long winded point is that a solid, good quality .22 rifle such as the 581 is high class firearm. It can be, and should be, not only a plinker, but a training piece and a small game getter. No, it is not an Anschutz or 40X or Winchester 52 match rifle, but it is handy to carry all day, wandering through the fields or hills.

Hell, I believe I have as many good memories associated with my son's first rifle as with my own.

All the best,
Johnny

Bob C
November 14, 2004, 12:00 PM
I have a 582 I bought new in 1977.

It's very accurate, and has always given 100% function.

I'll never sell or trade this one.

P226
November 14, 2004, 05:52 PM
My dad has one, that I shoot a lot. Its very accurate and I have never had a problem with it functionality wise. I can easily hit one of those little 22 lr ammo boxes off hand all the way down range at the pistol range I shoot at, its probably 15-22 yards I think. Overall its a very good rifle in my opinion.

barnbuilder
November 15, 2004, 10:31 PM
I was at the "BIG" Reno Gun Show this past weekend (it is the biggest show around here I've been to). They had one really sweet 541, for the measly price of $775 (ouch!) and one really ragged 581 w/o scope for $225 (it was used hard and lots of marks and dings all over). So I'm feelin' lucky to have found the one I did... I get to finally try my lil' .22 for the 1st time tomorrow -- yippee!

Johnny Guest: you should write books, man! That was a story you could feel... Unfortunately, I didn't have a Dad or family that owned guns growing up, so this may very well be MY training rifle (I've got some good friends to help me along the way, as well as you all...).

Thanks again to all that posted responses...

-Scott

Johnny Guest
November 16, 2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Scott.

Age and experience don't necessarily bring wisdom, but they do provide a certain perspective.

Regards,
Johnny

barnbuilder
November 16, 2004, 09:39 PM
went out with a friend and did a casual target shoot with the 581/Weaver 6x, plus got to try out the also new (to me) 597 wmr. WoW, is all I can say! I've read a lot of positive posts on the 581 and I have to agree this thing drives TACKS! I am so glad I didn't waste my money to buy the cz! With a flimzy field set-up bench and a 5 gal. bucket for a seat, I tried 10 different brands/loads through the gun at about 50yds (probably longer, like 50 meters). Cheap stuff like the remington gold (on sale bricks go for $10) shot groups in the 3/4 inch range! (remember, I'm a rookie and we were basically shooting off our knees), and the Eley I tried were in the 3/8 inch range!!! The surprise (to me and my friend) was the Aguila subsonic SE that multiple times approached the Eley groups (and were WAY quiet -- a good thing for my 'hood). (but bad for my ground squirrels :) )

ok, so I love my new lil' 581... But equally the best part of the day was the 597 wmr I picked up (for dirt) at the same time I got the 581. My logic was maybe I could convert it to .17 hmr if it was a non-shooter. Well guess what?! this thing works flawlessly and with iron sights and with CCI Maxi Mag +V (the best ammo it liked) we also could pull 3/4 inch groups. Hoo-Hah! I can't wait to pick up a scope for this little guy....

all-right, enough of my exhuberence.... back to your regularly scheduled forum...

love this place!

DAVID NANCARROW
November 16, 2004, 10:31 PM
Age and experience don't necessarily bring wisdom, but they do provide a certain perspective.

Johnny-you forgot the most important part....you're ALIVE to tell about it :D