PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant 91/59 Info

maxinquaye
September 9, 2000, 07:48 PM
Hey everyone,

Well I was looking for a turk 98 and ended up picking up a Mosin Nagant type 91/59 for $80. The numbers all match, the entire gun seems to be in *beautiful* condition. The gun has a faint 1942 stamped in it, and a deeper 1891/59 stamp. There is also a rubbed out crest with leaves on it. And a triangle with what looks like a piece of dynamite in the middle.
I have some questions-
1. Can anyone tell me more about this gun?
2. What are the best solvents to clean it up and refinish the wood?
3. Where can I get a sling and bayonette?
4. Should I check the headspacing like the M98 Mausers?
5. Did I get a good deal?

THANKS!

:) :)

maxinquaye
September 10, 2000, 03:59 AM
Oh, another question I meant to ask - does anyone know where I can get directions on how to take this weapon apart for cleaning, etc? The bolt looks a bit complex....

:) thanks

FireForged
September 10, 2000, 10:57 AM
MAX, It sounds like you have one made at the Izhevsk Arsenal. You are correct, the bolt it a little tricky. I have a owners manual that I can email you if need be.

Check out this page for more info
www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/markings.html (http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/markings.html)

[This message has been edited by FireForged (edited September 10, 2000).]

Erich
September 11, 2000, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the world of Mosins! Check out Tuco's
http://www.Mosin-Nagant.net/

for the basics and for forums of MN freaks who can tell you pretty much everything you'd want to know. They'll give you background and info on how to clean up the wood.

FYI - that model didn't have a bayonet, you got the standard Big 5 deal. A real value for what you get, huh?! Condition is usually pretty good on these - the 91/59s were reconditioned 91/30s that were mothballed in the late '50s/early '60s to defend the Motherland from an invasion from the West. (As if we'd want all that lignite coal . . . .) Century Arms checks the headspace when they import the rifles - check your manual and the bbl importer marking to make sure it's one of theirs (it probably is).

Look on Tuco's Trader board - a guy named Reich out of Las Vegas has slings there all the time for very little dinero.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions on the rifle - I have a couple of reference books on the MNs. You're gonna love it! (Oh! BTW, it's going to kick and blast fire like you're not going to believe.)

cheers,
erich