PDA

View Full Version : Best inavation or invention

pinkfloydman
October 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
What is in you opinion the best invoation or invention to the rifle in the past 30 years???This is for a class so it would be great if you could help me out...thanks

pinkfloydman
October 12, 2004, 06:02 PM
anybody?

FirstFreedom
October 12, 2004, 06:38 PM
Electronic-ignition trigger?

Caseless ammo?

Dunno....good question.

Johnny Guest
October 12, 2004, 06:56 PM
I'm sitting here, trying to think of a single new invention or innovation in that time frame which has impacted me personally. Perhaps I'm just an old-fashioned kind of shooter/rifle user.

Everything I use or have in the safe was generally available in 1974. The most "modern" things I have are my "car gun," a Colt AR15A3 - - The heavy-ish barrel is now a factory item, rather than a custom proposition. The telescoping stock and short length were already developed. I guess the detachable carry handle is new, but I have my compact scope mounted ON the handle, just like Colt was marketing in the 'sixties.

I guess my Savage Scout rifle offered a package not a factory option in '74 - - Forward 'scope mount and synthetic stock. Probably the factory offered synthetic stock, industry wide, must be considered a significant matter. But there were synthetics in use in '74.

Pretty much all on the market now that wasn't there in 1974 is evolutionary - - A matter of marketing or extension of techniques or appliances which were around back then, just less common.

For field use, the commercial development of the Ching Sling, an extension of the CW sling, is significant.

Some new bullets and powders have extended the state of the art in loads and loading.

Col Cooper writes lovingly of the Blaser R93 and the revolutionary searless action yielding outstanding trigger letoff. Savage's new AccuTrigger (???) has probably broken some new ground, but I have zero personal experience with either of these. I believe I read an article by Cooper in which he mentoned the Blaser Rifle, the Wild West Co-Pilot, and the Steyr Scout package as being innovatory. The later two items are commercial offerings of a series of features which had long been available for several decades.

I realizing I'm just ennumerating things that are NOT particularly ground breaking. Perhaps some of the things I've mentioned may trigger a response from other writers.

Best of luck - -
Johnny

rugerdude
October 12, 2004, 07:08 PM
I think the G-11 is pretty nifty and certainly introduced something new. I however don't know much about it but it could spark some ideas. Oh, what about the box magazines like the G-11 and P-90 use that don't stick out any and hold lotsa ammo and the loading system that must be used with them. Are there any revolutionary calibers that he/I don't know about? I also second the electronic ignition trigger, do a search on "metal storm" and you will find out exactly what I'm talkin' about.

Good luck,
Rugerdude

Quartus
October 12, 2004, 08:05 PM
Yeah, 'dude, but I'm not sure that the metal storm qualifies as a rifle development.

Hmmmm. This is a tough question. I'd guess Stoner's designs are the closest thing to a real innovation in the last 50 years, and they are certainly more than 30 years old...

pinkfloydman
October 12, 2004, 08:37 PM
hmm since there is no revolutionary desgin then how about through out the firearms like in handguns and shotguns???

Dwight55
October 12, 2004, 08:52 PM
Pinkfloydman, . . .

I guess I would just have to give the entire gun industry a thumbs up on their quality of ammo, powder, primers, etc. and the choices they offer. There are even some really clean powders today for reloaders. That was only a big pipe dream 40 years ago.

Not too many years ago, a 30-06 was king kong of the ballistic jungle. Now the 300 WinMag, all the UltraMags, as well as the short action mags: they give us some real choices beyond .243, .270, 30-30, and 30-06.

Beyond that, there are some real choices in rifles today beyond the lever, bolt, and pump that dominated the 60's and back.

Add to that, the Browning Boss system, . . .

How about all the heavy hitters you can get from Marlin (if you need a tree busting brush gun, . . . get a Marlin).

Finally, . . . most handguns today and many rifles are offered in stainless steel form, making the old cleaning process a whole bunch easier.

May God bless,
Dwight

User Name
October 12, 2004, 10:49 PM
Williams sites??
The sling swivel??
I dunno. Most innovations were before 30 years ago and just improved on....

Omaha-BeenGlockin
October 13, 2004, 10:33 AM
Better metalurgy??---except MIM

Red dot sights??

Better quality optics in general???

How about stuff like that.

Handy
October 13, 2004, 11:19 AM
I'd go with the G11. While only one gun, HK developed several concepts and made a gun that was going to be fielded, had it not been for the reunification. But it featured newly developed caseless ammo that facilitated magless/beltless feed, no ejection cycle, a seperate two way rotary chamber, 3000 rpm burst and a recoil operated mechanism that is actually as simple or simpler than any gas operated rifle.

BigG
October 13, 2004, 11:30 AM
If I have to hold it to one thing, the use of polymer, ok, plastic in pistol frames and other high stress locations.

enkidu
October 14, 2004, 01:09 AM
The only thing I can think of is the introduction and refinement of the Bullpup design which allows the use of longer barrels in a much more compact design. I'm aware the other people attempted to build proper Bullpups, but I think the Steyr Aug was the first truly successful design. The Steyr Aug came out in the mid-70's or so, so I think it slips under the 30 year limit.

Samuel2001
October 14, 2004, 01:19 AM
Was'nt the Nylon 66 Plastic 40 years ago?

How about the Reflex/Holo sights and red dot sights? Thanks to them alot of older eyes are stillshooting, these things make it posible. As well as the tactical aplications. Both eyes open, no loss of periferal vision, you know what I mean. And did I mention Tritium sights? Them sights that are always lit!

SquirrelMan
October 14, 2004, 10:25 AM
I think the development and perfection of optics has aided the most in overall rifle performance.

-SM