PDA

View Full Version : Hard chromed SIG 226 mags

Entreri
October 11, 2004, 01:49 PM
I have a P226ST 9mm, and was thinking about having the mags hard chromed to allow better protection to the elements, not to mention they would match up a little nicer with the stainless finish.

Has anyone else had their SIG mags chromed? Any favorites on who should do the job? Thanks.

PsychoSword
October 11, 2004, 03:03 PM
Have you ever heard of NP3 finish? It looks like hard chroming.

Entreri
October 11, 2004, 04:01 PM
Np3 Robar. Thanks, I checked out their site.

Are you saying that the np3 is a better alternative to hard chrome? Pros/cons?

Jehzsa
October 11, 2004, 04:08 PM
Unless you want to sand the insides, specially if you use HPs, leave them blued. I'm partial to HC. http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=674608412&f=430601935&m=12210316

All finished by APW.

gunrunner
October 11, 2004, 08:27 PM
i had a couple of mine hard chromed and if you as for the bright smooth finish it should sand the inside of the gun. but yes the regular finish is somewhat rough. i dont think there is any finish more durable to hardchrome. mine done by checkmate guns finishes. fair price ,timely service and great finish. they can do all finishes. you may like bright nickel as well.

Samuel2001
October 12, 2004, 12:57 AM
Used to have a Sig P228 done up in Robar Np3.
That gun was slicker than a greased door knob. I used to wipe it after range sessions, never really cleaned it other than running a bore brush through it every now and again. The finish is slick enough that you can wipe most all gunk off with just a dry rag. I would put a drop uf CLP on each rail and that was it. Did I mention it was slicker than snot! It had 3 magazines that were also done up in Np3 and they fed extremely well, but then again most SIGs do anyway.

The Np3 finish has a more grey look than Hard Chrome, has better lubricity and is almost as strong as Hard Chrome. I own guns in both Hard Chrome and in Np3 and would have a hard time figuring out wich of the two finishes I like more.

As soon as my kid hands over my digital camera I'll try to post some pics to compare colors.

Entreri
October 12, 2004, 09:02 AM
Unless you want to sand the insides, specially if you use HPs, leave them blued.

Forgive my ignorance, are you saying that the inside of the mags need to be sanded down before or after the new finish.

What got me thinking is after seeing some HKP7's hard chromed including the mags, I thought it looked pretty good.

If the new finish is going to hinder the reliability, it's certainly not worth it.

Anyone have any problems with hardchromed magazines?

Thanks Sam, I would like to see some pics.

Jehzsa
October 12, 2004, 07:08 PM
Hello Entreri,

Yes, sand with fine grit. Emery cloth should do. You want the insides of the mag as smooth as possible. HC will leave rough spots invariably. And failures to feed will occur with ball ammo not to say HPs and JSPs.

I know they look good chromed. I have them. What you want is a brushed chrome surface on the inside. Attainable only by sanding. And it's a hassle.

Just got my P5 back today. Brushed chrome.

Mag plates chromed. Only the mag plates.

Samuel2001
October 16, 2004, 10:46 PM
Entreri I no longer have my Sig P228 Np3, but here is the pic of my Np3 finished Kimber and my Hard Cromed Glock. For color comparison.

Entreri
October 18, 2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks for posting the pic. I think I may now be leaning toward the NP3 finish.