PDA

View Full Version : Why so many P32's?

Hans
September 28, 2004, 05:24 PM
I'm just curious, but looking through the "What do you carry concealed" post, I saw a great number of Kel-Tec P32's on the list? How come? I've never handled one, I was just wondering why so many people seem to like them.

Tom2
September 28, 2004, 05:35 PM
Having handled some, I would expect it is because they are very small, thin, light, inexpensive, and work.

Handy
September 28, 2004, 05:35 PM
They're flat, light and cheap.

Dave R
September 28, 2004, 05:40 PM
I think P-32's and P-3AT's are the best tradeoff of "power for size." Either one, with a spare mag, in a good pocket holster, is about the same size as a small wallet. So they'll fit in any pocket, any outfit.

15 rounds of .32acp or 13 rounds of .380 is not a bad CCW rig. Bigger is better, of course, but these are arguably about the best of the really small guns.

Gazpacho
September 29, 2004, 12:21 AM
I like my P32 because it's my "always" carry. In the morning, when I get dressed, it goes into my pocket, and stays there (hopefully) until I go to bed at night. In a good pocket holster, it literally is the size and the weight of my wallet. When I go out, I strap on my primary, anything from a 38spec to a GM45, and the P32 becomes my BUG. I know a lot of guy that ditch their CCW when they get home, but I still carry my P32. The theory is that if something goes down very bad very fast in my own home, I atleast got 9rds of 32acp immediatly at hand, which should buy me enough time to fight my way to something bigger.

Of course 32acp ain't a whole lot in terms of self defense, but it has more authority that my remote control.

IMHO it is also the most reliable gun in it's weight and caliber, once it's properly broken in and tested.

Samuel2001
September 29, 2004, 12:24 AM
What Tom 2, Handy and Dave R said! Flat, light, SMALL, reliable and a pretty good deal too.

old_yout
September 29, 2004, 09:49 AM
It's so easy to slip it in a pocket and not have to think about it or adjust it for its weight or move it around. It's just mildly powerful enough that I think it would do some good. It's often referred to as a the gun you just stick in someone's stomach and fire off all the shots for it to be effective.
Thinness, lightness, convenience. THat's why I carry it.
Of course, whenever possible, I'd reach for the .45 on my hip first.

Erich
September 29, 2004, 11:09 AM
It's easily the size of a .25, it's a .32, and it weighs almost nothing. It also works.

I traded mine off, though - I just never carried it because I have a hard time taking the .32 very seriously. I asked myself, "How would you feel about using this to stave off two muggers armed with bats or knives?" "Not too darn good!," was my emphatic answer. So, personally, I'm sticking with .38 special at a minimum.

But the P32 is one dandy .32! :)

E357
September 29, 2004, 11:12 AM
What everybody else said and:

1) Easy gun to maintain and do full detail strip.
2) Best warranty and customer service in the gun world.
3) Two very nice and active BBS's devoted to Kel-Tec.

I own three - what can I tell you? And I'm a revolver man.

Elliot

CZ75daddy0405
September 29, 2004, 01:59 PM
They are "Just that darn good." :)

Tom2
September 30, 2004, 04:43 PM
Someone above said that they would pause to fight off muggers with a P32.
Well, if it was all you had, the P32 going off in their faces would probably give them pause, too!

Erich
September 30, 2004, 04:55 PM
It might, but I am more concerned with stopping them than pausing them. :)

Actually, what I said what that I wouldn't feel too darn good about only being armed with a P32 against two muggers.

I feel fine with my P228, or my two J-frames, or my G36, etc. . .

Handy
September 30, 2004, 05:10 PM
Personally, I don't like them. Their size and shape encourages pocket carry, but their triggers are two light for anything but a holster. Once you add the holster you've lost some of the size advantage. A little .32 should be an afterthought for carry - pocket and go.

I'd rather spend a hair more and have the heavier trigger and nicer construction of a Tomcat or NAA .32.

cls12vg30
September 30, 2004, 10:07 PM
That's an interesting point, Handy. The lack of a safety on the P32 doesn't bode well for just dropping it in a pocket, either. But a lot of people seem to use pocket holsters, and even with the holster the P32 is still pretty slim and small, if you get the right holster. Personally If I'm going to pocket-carry I would rather have a safety, but as a BUG, if you need it you need it NOW, so on the other hand maybe a safety is not so good......
Dang I sound like John Kerry.........Must go shooting to cleanse myself.....

Handy
September 30, 2004, 11:11 PM
I don't care for safeties, actually. A reasonably heavy DA trigger is great. But the P32 has a 5 pound trigger, which is inappropriate.

Baker Boy
September 30, 2004, 11:50 PM
You might want to look at the P3AT from Kel-Tec. It's virtually identical in size to the P32 but is chambered for the .380 ACP. The .380 is far from the perfect choice in nearly any scenario this side of James Bond and his trusty PPK, but it's a heck of a lot more powerful than my fists. I'll carry a snubby or a full-size when I can, but there are times when something small like the Kel-Tec is the only option. Light, thin, cheap, reliable, and powerful (for it's size). Sounds good to me.

cma g21
October 1, 2004, 08:21 AM
"...The .380 is far from the perfect choice in nearly any scenario this side of James Bond and his trusty PPK..."

IIRC, Bond's PPK was a .32 / :D

Most a BUG, the P32 is a gun you can almost always conceal with little effort.

BTW, the Fist kydex pocket holster adds very little bulk to the P32.

denfoote
October 1, 2004, 04:37 PM
They're flat, light and cheap

I think that just about sums it up!!
It's a known fact that if you use a gun in a defensive shooting, it will be confiscated. Handing over a $1000 custom 1911 is not my idea of a fun afternoon!!

Tamara
October 2, 2004, 12:02 AM
Personally, I don't like them. Their size and shape encourages pocket carry, but their triggers are two light for anything but a holster.

I think all pocket guns should be carried in a pocket holster, both to help keep dust bunnies out of the workings and to ensure that the gun remains properly oriented in the pocket (nothing more embarrassing than reaching in and grabbing the muzzle rather than the grip. :eek: )

FWIW, I prefer the Tomcat or Jetfire, as I can shoot them much better than I can the Kel-Tec with its popsicle-stick-sized grip, although I will not dispute the fact that a P-32 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster is about the thinnest and lightest pocket package out there...

Handy
October 2, 2004, 12:42 AM
It's a known fact that if you use a gun in a defensive shooting, it will be confiscated. Handing over a $1000 custom 1911 is not my idea of a fun afternoon!!

I would just feel ashamed that after surviving an attack, and taking a life, my afternoon would be spoiled by losing a gun, of all things.

The most important use of a gun you'll ever have is to save your life. That doesn't sound like a bargain basement proposition.

denfoote
October 2, 2004, 02:07 AM
Not to be rude or anything, but my $300 Sigma shoots just as well as my $800 Springfield.
Both will get the job done.
However, I personally would toss the Sigma to the wolves if push came to shove!!

Methinks, the same can be said for the P32!!!!

Geoff Timm
October 2, 2004, 03:42 AM
The P-32 is from Florida. I've been transplanted here. Since arrival, I've worn a light jacket twice. In January.

This is the land where Hooters is a family restaurant because EVERYBODY dresses that way. (T-shirt, shorts, white sox and running shoes for those unfamiliar with Hooters.) :)

Being extreamly concealable is an advantage in hot climates. A suit and trench coat may make it easy for Mike Hammer (TM) to carry a .45 in a shoulder holster in NYC, but a pocket pistol makes sense down here.

Geoff
Who is contemplating CCW.

azrael
October 3, 2004, 08:45 AM
The P-32 is flat, shoots a larger bullet than comparable .22's and .25's...Doesnt cost a fortune (Seecamp anyone?) and works...

The only real drawback is the "rimlock" issue, but that can be corrected easily by using new followers from KT or just using FMJ...

BTW, I have 2 of them....They or the P3AT are my constant BUG's

azrael
October 3, 2004, 08:47 AM
OHH yea..

What I would also suggest is getting the hardchrome exchange from KT...only costs $20. and takes about 3 weeks...Works alot better in humid climates..