PDA

View Full Version : Barrel for old Mossberg 146b ?

pdh
September 27, 2004, 10:10 PM
Hi all...I had a delightful occurance that happened a few days ago.Back around 34 years ago I bought a Mossberg 146b 22cal rifle..with the money I made working my first "job" when I was a kid.
Well..stupid me sold it to a distant family member...I can not remember when.
He came up to me couple days ago and said if I want it back..he will give it to me.
Needless to say...it's home again.

I gotta get a rear sight for it.Found a site on the net that has a few parts for this model.
But..I am concerned about the bore. It has been neglected.Do not know if it is leading problem..maybe pitted.I have scrubbed it with J-B bore paste and the patches coming out black.Can you have leading problems with 22 rifles??I am going to take it to a smith and have him to take a look it.

My question is...in your alls opinion..would another barrel for this rifle be impossible to find if I wanted it replaced?

Thanks

Dfariswheel
September 27, 2004, 11:14 PM
Gun Parts Corporation has Mossy 146B barrels and parts.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0840z146B&MC=

4 Eyed Six Shooter
September 27, 2004, 11:39 PM
If you can't find a replacement barrel, you could always have a barrel liner put in the old barrel. It will make it shoot good as new.
Good shooting, John K

pdh
September 29, 2004, 08:26 AM
Thank you fellas for your very helpful replies!
Looks like my old rifle has some hope :)

pdh
October 2, 2004, 07:44 AM
The barrel for the Mossberg is ordered from Numrich Gun Parts Inc.

I have a smith in line to replace the barrel on my Mossberg and I thank you very much for your help.

Harry Bonar
January 18, 2005, 09:50 PM
Dear Sir:
Brings back old memories of my 46B. I'd ride to Monty Wards on my bike every time a got a quarter and buy a box of 22 shorts (Federal made them) and stow them away for when my dad let me go to the country for a week and stay with my distant relative; boy did I have fun. I'm 69 now and that 46B is a really accurate rifle!
I have several of the old Mossbergs now and treasure them all!
That thing held 30 shorts!