PDA

View Full Version : Norinco M14 anyone?

Dwight55
September 25, 2004, 06:26 PM
I saw an ad on a website, Marstar Canada, for Norinco m-14's at $399 Canadian bucks:

1) is the Norinco M14 a good piece of equipment?
2) are they importable now that the AWB has been buried?

Any info is appreciated.

May God bless,
Dwight

Handy
September 25, 2004, 06:54 PM
1. So-so.
2. No. The AWB had nothing to do with imports.

steveno
September 25, 2004, 07:37 PM
I had a Chinese made M1A a long time(15 years or so) ago and for the money it shot fairly well. With the iron sights it would shoot in 4 inches at 100 yards. It is definitely not in the same class as a Springfield Armory rifle but it worked every time and the price was right.I Kind of wish I had kept it

pokeloser
September 25, 2004, 10:26 PM
Had a polytech (chinese) M-14S, it was a good shooter but the headspace gapped out quickly. The receiver geometry on the poly is actually stronger than the springfields but the barrel quality and components are not in the same class as GI or springfield. Fulton armory offered a service where they would modify the poly receiver and put USGI parts and barrel in but it costed like $800 on top of the rifle. I'm not real knowledgable on the Norico except to say that $399 canadian is a good price. Make sure it fires though, because they are famous for corrosion especially if corrosive ammo has been used and it wasn't cleaned right away. Check the crown of the barrel or end of the flash suppressor for rust or signs of rust removal (sandpaper/steel wool marks, pits, etc.)

nssa4914
September 25, 2004, 11:03 PM
I would buy it in a hearbeat for that price but their website says they can't sell them to the US. With the exhange rate that's under $300.00. Definately worth the chance.
Anybody familiar with any loopholes?

Here's what the web site says:
Important Notice to American Clients: while the 1994 Crime Bill (assault weapons ban) has ended, Chinese-made Norinco firearms are still prohibited from entering the United States under a different U.S. import ban. We would love to sell these firearms to Americans but the U.S. government will not let us.

4V50 Gary
September 26, 2004, 12:04 AM
I'd buy it for $399 Canadian and use it as a plinker. Don't know about importing guns though.

Handy
September 26, 2004, 01:33 AM
Okay, again. This gun is banned from import. Period.

4V50 Gary
September 26, 2004, 02:06 AM
Handy, you're handy.

CopeLC
September 26, 2004, 05:19 AM
Ok, so when does the '90 Import Ban and GCA's of 1968 and 1934 sunset?

nssa4914
September 26, 2004, 12:52 PM
Why is it banned?

PsychoSword
September 26, 2004, 03:19 PM
Bush banned their import supposedly to punish Norinco for proliferating missile technology which we shouldn't have given to them in the first place. :rolleyes:

Handy
September 26, 2004, 03:47 PM
Bush banned import of EVERY semiauto of military appearance. So was he punishing Germany, Austria and Italy, too?

PsychoSword
September 27, 2004, 11:27 AM
I think you're talking about King George I, I'm talking about King George II.

Handy
September 27, 2004, 11:32 AM
Nope. The 1989 Executive order banned all foreign made "non-sporting" rifles from import.

PsychoSword
September 27, 2004, 11:43 AM
Yea, the import ban that Bush Senior signed. I'm talking about the Norinco import ban that Shrub signed.

Handy
September 27, 2004, 12:06 PM
But you see that the Norinco M-14 already had been banned for years, by that time? The Norinco ban just stopped the best 1911 value from making it into the US.

PsychoSword
September 27, 2004, 12:19 PM
It's doubly banned.

It's ban banned! :(

Wait, isn't that a double negative? Norinco M-14's should be legal then.... ;)

KAMPILAN
September 27, 2004, 01:59 PM
Actually, it's triple banned. IIRC his weaselness Bill I has an EO banning any norinco products from importation, so its ban,ban,banned :confused:

PsychoSword
September 27, 2004, 02:06 PM
Yea I think der Shlickster signed a Norinco ban as well. :( :( :(

jefnvk
September 27, 2004, 03:03 PM
I think Clinton banned Norinco firearms in particular, and Bush banned everything from Norinco in general, didn't they? :confused:

Too many laws.

PsychoSword
September 27, 2004, 03:16 PM
Something like that.

Dwight55
September 27, 2004, 09:26 PM
Oh, well, . . . thanks for the info, guys. Just wish it had been a bit more positive. I actually was considering one of the M14's as I just don't ever seem to muster up enough cash for a Springfield.

May God bless,
Dwight

JohnK
September 28, 2004, 02:22 PM
I've had one of the Polytech M14s for years, I've only put a few hundred rounds through it though. 100% reliable so far, it will shoot 2.5-3" @ 100 yards from the bench using Federal Match ammo, around 4" with surplus.

Here are some pages you might want to read about them.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14S_Eval.htm
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14SReview.html
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14SReview2.htm

six 4 sure
September 28, 2004, 02:39 PM
This question has been asked several times over the years. If you will do a search for Polytech and Norinco you will find several threads. I'd also check out www.battlerifles.com several chicom M14 owners over there including myself.

There is some concern when buying a Chinese M14, but don't believe all the hype. Yes, there were soft bolts, but not every rifle had that problem, despite what Fulton would have you think. There are many people at BR.com that have had zero problems with their Chinese rifles, including myself.

six

Skullboy
September 29, 2004, 10:07 AM
The Norinco M14 Rifles we are getting here in Canada are not the same rifles that where coming into the U.S. in the early to mid 1990s that had the soft bolt issues.

The Norincos we are getting now are of new production, and their quality has improved in a big way.They do still have a few minor issues, but for $399.00 Cdn, they are one heck of a deal. ;)

The biggest difference between the S.A. M1a and the Norinco is that the Norinco has a fordged reciever and the M1A has a cast reciever.Also, over the last few years S.A. quality has been going downhill, and their prices have been going up.

The Current Norinco chrome lined barrel is equivilant to a USGI barrel, the trigger is decent, and the op rod is also forged.The most common modifaction we do is to junk the mystery wood stock for a USGI fiberglass stock, and swap in a USGI bolt to tighten up the headspace for better accuracy.

But for just plinking with cheap surplus ammo, the factory bolt is fine, and out of the box accuracy has been around 1.5" to 4" @ 100 meters with iron sights.

In Canada, a bare bones M1A will run roughly around $2000.00 Cdn, where as the Norinco is $399.00 Cdn.So for the $2000.00 they want for an M1A, I can buy a Norinco as a base to build on, and use the left over $1600.00 to upgrade the barrel, bolt, etc, and build basically a super match version for the same price as a lower end M1A.

BTW, I have owned a S.A. M14, and a custom built TRW match rifle, so I do have experience to base these observations on. ;)

SKBY.