PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds to reliable?

interloper
August 14, 2004, 08:50 PM
I am in the market to purchase a new handgun. I realize that if a person buys from one of the better manufacturers you should have a reliable weapon. I have also read that the reliability gap between revolvers and modern auto-loaders is close. However there is that warm fuzzy feeling with a revolver if you have a failure to fire you can go on to the next one easily. How many rounds do you need through an auto loader to deem it worthy of being your go to gun? I am looking closely at 5 in. XD-9 in 9mm or the new Ruger 345 my limit is about $450. Also does any one have any experience with the Taurus 24/7? Most of my shooting experience revolves aroung the Beretta 92f with the Coast Guard. Thanks again.

James

SouthpawShootr
August 14, 2004, 09:11 PM
If I can document 200 troublefree rounds (that means absolutely no malfunctions whatsoever) with carry ammunition, then I consider the gun worthy to be carried. Get a stoppage and the counter starts all over again. Then you take it to the range every month and practice with it. Any problems, don't rest until you find out what it is.

juliet charley
August 14, 2004, 10:50 PM
If I can document 200 troublefree rounds (that means absolutely no malfunctions whatsoever) with carry ammunition, then I consider the gun worthy to be carried.
Actually, from each magazine would be better. As often as not, the magazine is the culprit.

IanS
August 14, 2004, 11:01 PM
I shoot at least 1000 rounds of FMJ ammo first. 2 hiccups of some type is acceptable though not great. Over that I start all over again. Then 100-200 rounds of hollowpoint ammunition (with no jams). Then I feel it is worthy for defensive use. So far all the SIGs, Glocks, and Berettas I ever owned passed this test with flying colors with absolutely no problems of any type. (Although a Glock 27 had FTF problems at the 1300 mark due to a dirty firing pin channel. I was new to Glocks and ignorant about overlubing)

Its arbitrary and not that stringent but I'm comfortable with it.

SouthpawShootr
August 15, 2004, 09:13 AM
Actually, from each magazine would be better. As often as not, the magazine is the culprit.

True enough. I do rotate through the mags I will use for carry during break-in evaluation. This process can get quite cumbersome when you run across a bad mag. Range mags don't get introduced until later, when using the gun defensive drills and maybe during classes where it may be necessary to let the mags hit the ground.

fastbolt
August 15, 2004, 01:24 PM
Well, I generally like to fire somewhere around 200-600 rounds through a new pistol without experiencing any pistol-related failures. I started "trusting" my new G26 around 500 rounds ... and now I fully "trust" it, since I've run 870 rounds through it without any malfunctions within the last 2 weeks (As much as I "trust" any machine ... especially a weapon;) ).

Ammunition-related problems are annoying ... as are shooter-related issues ... but I try to separate those from actual pistol & magazine-related issues. Sometimes that's not as easy as it may sound ...

I'll test-fire each new magazine, and then disassemble it for a complete cleaning and visual inspection.

I prefer to use duty-type ammunition for my function testing/"break in", or at least a common brand of quality, American made JHP/BHP ammunition. I won't use "bargain basement" ammunition picked up on the cheap ... which may help prevent the introduction of ammunition-related issues during the critical functionality testing period of a "new" pistol ... but that's just me. :cool:

Hey, I've only got to satisfy me, you know?

interloper
August 15, 2004, 02:02 PM
Is there a limit to how many rounds you should fire on the first time out? How many rounds between cleaning? As a general rule how do you know when your pistol needs a breather? I believe I have decided on the xd-9 are there any special things I need be concerned about with the xd-9? Does any one have first hand knowledge of the xd-9, specifically the shooting characteristics. I don't have a place to rent around here.

SouthpawShootr
August 15, 2004, 03:00 PM
Depends on how much you like to shoot. I would clean it before taking it out. Shoot it a bit, get used to how it functions. Take it home before you start getting fatigued. Clean it. Then go back to the range again. I usually won't do more that 100-200 rounds per session (depends on how much I like the gun - big service type guns, I'll fire more; little micro pocket rockets will get old pretty fast).

GaryXD
August 15, 2004, 07:37 PM
If you get an XD-9 make sure you get one with the new style extractor (go to HS2000talk and do your homework). Also it wouldn't hurt to use thick rimmed cases like Federal (Winchester is known to have extraction problems in XDs, especially those with the old extractor).

Any .45
August 16, 2004, 03:33 PM
I feel juliet charley, is accurate with the through each magazine but i recommend what most companies recommend as a good break in which is 500 shots. As far as the taurus IMHO i'll stick to their revolvers and that is it, I had a millenium pro in .45 and that thing had more problems than a Daewoo. Now lets not say that they have not goten better but till i witness it my self i won't recoomend it to anyone. :)