PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 Cleaning

Skorzeny
July 20, 2000, 03:05 PM
As the Mini-14 barrel cannot be cleaned from the breech, what is the best way to clean it?

Currently, I use a patch on a rod to apply a cleaner from the barrel, but use the "World's Fastest Bore Cleaner" (aka BoreSnake) to clean in lieu of using a brass brush on a rod (which is hard to do in a twenty-two caliber barrel). Then I run through a dry patch, a slightly oiled patch and a dry patch again.

The problem is, the last patch still comes out dirty. I assume that is okay for practical purposes.

As a general question, how clean should the rifle be? Is a "casual" cleaning of the barrel, the action (and the gas block under the barrel) and a general wipe-down okay for practial, reliable, safe and rust-free operations? Or should I meticulously clean (meaning shiny bores, Q-tips and wooden dental picks) after each use?

Thanks!

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Jaeger
July 20, 2000, 05:29 PM
I think that the cleaning systems produced by Otis will allow you to clean fron the breach.
Otherwise, use a good quality 1 piece cleaning rod and one of those cone shaped rod guides to protect the muzzle.

bullseye
July 21, 2000, 08:29 AM
Dewey makes a rod guide that slips over the barrel and there are those cone types available also. I use the MPro7 bore gel and let it soak a few minutes before final brushing. Pro Shot makes a bench rest brush that is slightly smaller in diameter and much easier to push through the bore. Otherwise you can simply put the rod through the bore, attach the brush in the breach and "pull" the brush through. This is much easier than trying to push it (especially if the brush is new). A few patches to clean out the bore gel after brushing, a patch of oil, and I'm done.

FireForged
August 6, 2000, 02:45 PM
I use Break-Free Spray and the ole rod and patch. I use a nylon brush to clean the bore and action. I have never deassembled the bolt action, I guess I will if I ever get a malfunction.

Badger Arms
August 6, 2000, 03:26 PM
I use a nylon coated rod and great care when cleaning from the muzzle. In terms of accuracy, the muzzle isn't going to make a substantial difference on the Mini. It's not a target rifle to begin with.