PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 VS 308 v.s. Springfield Armory M1A

emperor91108
June 29, 2004, 10:16 AM
Between these two gun both in .308 would there be much of a diffence in terms of accuracy. This gun would be used for target between the 100 - 600 range

ocabj
June 29, 2004, 12:11 PM
If money is not an issue, you can get them to be equally accurate.

If you're talking bone stock right out of the box, the 700 will be more accurate than the M1A.

Too many factors contribute to the M1A's accuracy, stock bedding, scope mount system, semi-auto action, etc.

JMC
June 29, 2004, 02:13 PM
I own and shoot both a SA M1A standard weight NM and a Remington 700 VSSF in .308 Win.

Using the same bullet, Sierra #2200, 168 gr. HPBT but with different powders, loaded as one would match ammo, the Remington will out shoot the M1A all day long at ALL distances.

I've used the same load in both with equal results, the 700 wins hands down. ;)

Both rifles are stock, out of the box. Both have scopes naturally. Both have high quality rings and bases.

Hammerhead
June 30, 2004, 12:34 AM
My experience with both, M1a match, (not NM) and my new Rem 700 LTR is the same as JMC's.
Trigger is also better on the Rem.
Lock time is also much shorter with the bolt gun, especially important offhand.
The M1a is also more likely to shift POI with changes in weather.
The 700 LTR is great and still weighs only about 7-1/2 pounds.

AZ Jeff
June 30, 2004, 01:14 PM
There is no question that, for equal dollars invested in each rifle, the bolt action will virtually ALWAYS be more accurate than a self-loading rifle. That said, you have to ask yourself one question: how much accuracy do you really need?

JMC
June 30, 2004, 03:03 PM
That said, you have to ask yourself one question: how much accuracy do you really need?

With the rifles I mentioned and on a good day, I like to get 100% head shots on a "Q" type target at 300 yds. from sitting and prone. My older knees won't allow 100% from the kneeling but I manage to get most of them in there. ;)

That way I know I can hit center mass at even further distances.

AZ Jeff
June 30, 2004, 03:25 PM
I am not familar with the "Q" type target, but a head shot at 300m means being able to group into about a 9" circle at 300m. That's about 3 MOA.

Getting a gas-operated self loader to do that will take a little work, as the average US gas op service rifle is about a 2-4 MOA machine. Thus, it may be a crap shoot if an M1A straight out of the box will run at under 3 MOA.

On the other hand, virtually ANY modern bolt rifle can do 3 MOA with production ammo.

JMC
June 30, 2004, 04:04 PM
My M1A is the standard weight NM. Not a Super Match. It has the Tasco Super Sniper 10x42 30mm scope mounted in ARMS rings and base.

With handloaded 168 gr. Sierra #2200 HPBT bullets, it will group into the "Q" head which is 6"x5.5" consistantly at 300 yds., as long as I do my part, from the prone supported position and naturally, from a sitting bench rest.

An addition here...if I were shooting any type of ball ammo out of my M1A NM, I would be fortunate to hit anywhere near the head at 300 yds. This rifle doesn't like ball ammo of any kind. Match ammo or nothing with this one. :mad:

Watch-Six
June 30, 2004, 04:40 PM
I have owned both. My M1A was not a super match or anything special. The M1A is a great gun and is a lot of fun to shoot, but the Remington bolt gun is definitely more accurate. Watch-Six

araebisu
June 30, 2004, 05:12 PM
ive never shot an m1a, but in general, the only reason that semi autos were ever pressed in to the precision market was for competitions and the need of military/le snipers to take mulitple rapid shots

Peter M. Eick
June 30, 2004, 07:06 PM
I personally shoot my SuperMatch better then my National Match, but I can shoot my Rem 700 Sendero Better then the National Match.

The question comes to how much money do you want to toss at the problem and how good of a shot are you?

My bet is others with my guns might have a different result because they can do better. My Supermatch just "fits" better so I shoot it better.

Just my thoughts....

thumbtack
July 3, 2004, 11:26 AM
Do forget the 20rd mags that you can get for the M1A.

Gewehr98
July 3, 2004, 06:54 PM
To get a Springfield M1A to shoot as accurately as a Remington 700 Varmint or Police boltgun.

Darkangel
July 11, 2004, 12:50 PM
I have the loaded M1A with NM stainless barrel. I have a Tasco 6-24 on it and using Federal match 168 gr do head shots at 250 yards(limit of our rifle range.) without any problem either sitting , Bench, or prone.....standing not as good. The positive part is that with the 20 round mag I can follow up shots on the other two targets very quickly.
My Savage 12 is a Fluted stainless, on a sniper stock(comparitative to a Remington 700). Using the same scope, and the same ammo I get a much tighter group prone, sitting and Bench..........just can't do as well standing(don't know why)
Savage accuracy is much better..........the big difference is the follow up shots.........much much slower.
Just for saying it sake and FWIW, I don't know anyone who can shoot a SA at 600 yards better then a Bolt gun.