PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P-85 Question

Tom B
June 26, 2004, 03:10 PM
The P-85 was Ruger's entry into the P series market. There were design problems with the original barrel. These caused problems with accuracy. It is my understanding that Ruger then contracted Bar-Sto to design a new barrel and these were used on later model P-85s. This was before the P-89 came out. Can anyone shed more light on this subject and my specific question is how can I tell which barrel is in my P-85? Thanks.

mikey357
June 26, 2004, 11:17 PM
Tom, the updated/"accurized" P-85's are the "Mark II's", IIRC...IF it's a Mark II, it'll be stamped SOMEWHERE on the pistol...a co-worker has one...when I see him Monday, I'll ask him where his is so stamped...hope this helps....mikey357

denfoote
June 27, 2004, 04:33 AM
I dunno about barrels, but here is something you need to read!!!

INFORMATION SHEET - THE RUGER P85 SAFETY MODIFICATION
We are installing a safety modification that replaces the: safety and firing pin mechanism of the
original Ruger P85 9mm pistols, manufactured between 1987-1990. This modification does not apply
to any P85 which has "MKIIR" stamped on either the right or left safety; the "MKIIR" identifies that
the safety modification has already been installed. The modification also does not apply to any other
model P-Series pistol (including the P85MKII), as this safety system is installed in all other models
at the time of production.
All Ruger P85 pistols should be fitted with this new safety system because a P85 pistol fitted with
the new safety system will not accidentally discharge when the safety/decocker lever is engaged if
the firing pin is broken in a particular way. That's very important! It can help prevent accidents
caused by the user's failure to take the basic safety precaution of always keeping the pistol pointed in
a safe direction, especially when loading, unloading or decocking.
The safety modification consists of modifying the pistol internally to accept the new safety system,
there is no alteration to the frame itself. It is installed at no charge at our factory. You pay only
charges to ship the gun to us, we will pay the return shipping charges. Upon completion of the safety
modification and the return of your pistol, we will include a P15/10 10-round magazine (a retail value
of $29.40) at no charge to compensate you for your shipping charges.
If you own a Ruger P85 pistol that has not had the new safety system installed or wish to check and see
if your pistol is eligible for the installation, please call our Conversion Department at 800-424-1886,
or fax us at 520-778-6633, and supply the serial number of your pistol. If the pistol is eligible, you
will be sent a shipping carton with instructions for returning it.
These firing pins are very durable and breakage has occurred only in a handful of cases. Again, please
remember the basic firearms safety rules and always keep your pistol pointed in a safe direction! That
is the safe and proper way to handle any pistol, and is particularly important when loading, unloading
or decocking it.

mikey357
June 27, 2004, 10:37 AM
...IIRC, the barrel "Improvements" were concurrent with the safety mods....mikey357