PDA

View Full Version : Winchester accuracy

Dogger
July 26, 2000, 11:25 AM
Was inquiring in my local gun shop about the Winchester M70 Classic LT in 30-06, and how in general they don't carry Winchester rifles. The proprietor commented that he has sold several Winchesters to clients in the past two years, and they have all complained about poor accuracy. So... he doesn't recommend them, preferring Ruger and Remington instead.

Whazzup with this? Does Winchester have a quality control problem? Thanks

Erik
July 26, 2000, 12:15 PM
Not in the recent ones I have been able to shoot. Several M70Cs in a variety of configurations. It sure is nice to have friends with "too many" rifles. ;)

MAD DOG
July 26, 2000, 12:36 PM
Within the last year, I have shot several recent vintage Winchester model 70 classic rifles in .308 and 30-06.
All were capable of MOA right out of the box with Federal factory ammo, and all tuned to within <1/2 MOA with bedding and barrel tuning. These were both stainless and carbon steel variants. the LURCR I built for Rich lucibella was based on a Stainless pre 64 classic featherweight, I used the factory barrel, and it turns in one inch groups at 200 meters with great regularity. Not bad for a seven pound rifle.
Methinks the dealer in question has some customers that can't shoot...

ol blue
July 26, 2000, 01:51 PM
I have a late model (98) Win 70 Classic stainless in .308. They need a trigger job, but shoot pretty good after that. (about a 7lb trigger from the factory) I have the 22" featherweight barrel. It will put the first 3 shots touching. Then the next 2 are usually out a little bit, (but together) I usually end up with 5 shot groups of 1" or slightly over. The featherweight barrel heats up quickly , and that's what I think is causing those last two shots to move out. For a hunting rifle those first shots are the most important anyway, but I have been considering having it cryoed to see if that would help it. Overall, I think this is a great rifle....ol blue

Paul B.
July 26, 2000, 11:09 PM
Dogger. I have a vintage (pre-64) model 70 and a late model push feed, both in .308 Win. Accuracy is about equal between the two. I get groups ranging from 3/8 inch to one inch, depending on the load I use. My .338 Mag (1969) will do 1.25 inchs. I had a .375 H&H Mod. 70 that was a one incher when I did my part, with anything I put in it. The only Mod. 70 that has not given me the accuracy I desire is a Featherweight in 7x57, and I think rebedding in glass will cure that. I just haven't gotten around to it. I have a Remington Model 700 in 30-06 that I had to totally restock and rebed to get to shoot worth a darn.
I think the Mod. 70 is just as accurate, out of the box, as any Remington. I also agree with maddog. The guy had customers that could not shoot. JMHO.
Paul B.

Corey
July 27, 2000, 11:05 AM
Dogger, the Winchester M70 is about as accurate hunting rifle as you are going to get. I have an M70 Wintuff (lightweight barrel and laminated stock) in .270 WIN and it shoots well. The important thing is to try different brands and loads in the rifle and see what happens. I tried Federal Noslers in it and got 3" groups at 100 yards, and then tried cheap Winchester 130gr Silvertips and got three rounds in 7/8" at 100 yards. If you are looking for a hunting rifle that you can rely on to 200 yards out of the box, the Winchester is a safe bet.

EchoFiveMike
July 27, 2000, 12:39 PM
Well I took my basically stock M70 Laredo in 7mm Rem Mag to a 600yd match this past weekend. In pretty tough conditions(5-10mph winds that kept going from 3-9 o'clock) I shot a 194-7x on my last string. This was with a rifle that had 67rds through it prior to this match. Once I had the wind figured out, my last 10 shots were 98-6x (missed a wind shift for an 8) This is a stock gun with the exception of a little trigger tweaking by myself. I have to say that it was better than I expected from a stock gun. I have shot 3/4inch groups at 200yds with this same gun in load development. Semper Fi...Ken