PDA

View Full Version : Switch the Glock 26 for SW 3913?

Homerboy
June 17, 2004, 07:48 PM
I have a Glock 26 that has never given me any problems, I'm just not thrilled with the gun. The 26 doesn't fit my hand right and it's too thick. I can carry it concealed, but just don't like the feel of it, plus I like an external safety. I held a SW 3913 with Houge grips and it felt GREAT! Nice and thin, with only a 2 round difference in the mag capacity. I know I can probably get a used 3913 for around 300, and am considering selling the Glock to finance the SW. I did a search for the 3913 on here and for the most part the reviews were positive. Then again, some people say the G26 sucks, too. Honest opinions here: anybody think this is a bad idea? I use the gun for CCW and only take it to the range 3-4 times a year. The SW is thinner and just more comfortable, plus I like the stainless look.

BlackJack
June 17, 2004, 07:52 PM
I've owned and carried both. I carried the Glock the longest but got to dislike the shape and feel after time although it gave me no reason not to rely on it. The same was true of the S&W. It's thinner of course but no lighter and again, I just got to dislike the feel of it. Either is a perfectly acceptable carry gun. I would say just go with whichever feels best to you, then shoot it a lot--weekly at first, maybe monthly later--but regularly. And don't switch out too quickly. BTW now my carry is a Ruger SP-101 in .357Mag.

git_r_dun0405
June 17, 2004, 08:04 PM
You're tradeing a Glock for a Smith? :eek: I know that all that reliability make the Glock boring. But Dang! A Smith? I will not part with my G17. :cool:

branrot
June 18, 2004, 12:25 AM
I have a 3913 and a Glock 27. Both are nice guns. Both have adequate power, accuracy and reliability. However, my advice is dependent on how you're planning on carrying. While the Glock is thicker, the 3913 has a longer grip (the Glock is a two finger grip, the 3913 is a three finger grip). For me, I generally carry concealed in an ankle holster. Because ankle carry is more dependent on the length of the grip than just about anything else, the Glock 27 is much easier to carry that way. I find that once you step up from something you can carry in an ankle holster or a pocket to an IWB or pancake, a little more size and weight really don't matter all that much.

steveno
June 18, 2004, 05:24 PM
I had a 3914 (blue instead of sst) and it was flawless in operation. the only thing tough about it is the first shot is DA. I should have kept it and had some action work done on it

Terrill
June 19, 2004, 09:21 AM
I'm a real fan of the 3913! I've had several and carry one every day(well, everyday my Commander isn't with me). NEVER have I had a failure to feed or any other mishap.

joe saxon
June 19, 2004, 02:47 PM
Wow, I had pretty much the same thought about a year ago. I had bought the Glock to carry in an ankle rig and just..well ..never quite did, to big to bulky, anyway..S\W was a god trade out for me. My hands a a little on te large side so, the longer grip was not a problem. The little mags are so cute..they just float in a pocket or carrier,,anyway find what fis your hand then your lifestyle best and good shooting.

denfoote
June 19, 2004, 03:20 PM
Now, if that don't beat all!!
Trade a Glock for a Smith!!!
Who'd of thunk it!!!
FWIW, I just bought another G26 to replace the one that was confiscated by my loving wife!!!

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/denfoote/His_n_hers_2_small.jpg

don't shoot it's me
June 19, 2004, 07:22 PM
3913/14s (along with the 6904/6 series) are one of the most underated guns out there....My 6906 works perfectly and have friends who say the same of their 3913s....countless deptuies in the LASD carry one or the other as off duty guns....for it's size and weight either is a great CCW (the 39 more so with it's slimmer grip)...and they are fairly handsome guns to boot...if that means anything...

jekla
June 19, 2004, 07:48 PM
i read that you use your gun for CCW. id say go for the one you are most comfortable with. especially in the ergonomics dept. so in your case i guess youd be better off using the 3913 since it fits you better. and everyone knows that to be able to be accurate means the gun has to have a good "fit" to ones hands. so that if you you shoot better with the gun you carry then you could put it to better use if and when the need to use it arises.