PDA

View Full Version : Got an AR-180B

Dave Markowitz
June 13, 2004, 10:19 AM
I got an AR-180B at the Valley Forge gun show yesterday. I managed to find one that was (barely) used, so I was able to get it for $549 + tax + background check. The dealer, who've I bought a couple other guns from, didn't have the case, mag, or sling with him, but is supposed to ship them to me when he gets back to his shop.

Since I don't yet have the case, I had to get something to carry it in. At another table I found an "assault style" case with a shoulder strap, four mag pockets, and an accessories pocket on the side. The AR-180B fit well so I got it, too. I can always use another rifle case.

After some more wandering around I also picked up some magazines. First, I got a steel 30 rounder mag by Charter Industries of Singapore. Then, I found a dealer with some nearly new looking Colt 20 rounders for $18 each, so I got three.

To feed my new toy I got three Winchester 50 round value packs of .223 55 grain FMJs.

After getting home I tried each of the mags, plus two GI Okay and three Orlites in the rifle (the Okays and Orlites are leftover from when I had a Bushmaster Dissipator). The Colts and the Okays lock in solidly and actuate the bolt stop. The Orlites and the Singapore mag lock in but don't work the bolt stop. To be fair, Armalite advertises the rifle as being suitable for use with GI M-16 mags but no others, so I can't complain. I'll do some tinkering and see if I can get the other mags to work the bolt stop, though.

I downloaded a PDF version of the AR-180B manual from Armalite's web site and field stripped the rifle. Doing so is quite easy and I really like the design.

A range report will have to wait a little while but I'm really looking forward to it!

Quartus
June 13, 2004, 11:47 AM
Are they making them again? Or is this an oldie?

Sounds like a great buy. I found they didn't fit me well, but they're great rifles.

Dave Markowitz
June 13, 2004, 01:34 PM
A couple of years ago ArmaLite introduced the AR-180B. It looks very similar to the old AR-180s, but the lowe is completely different. The lower reciever is made of polymer, and since these are postbans (for now), there's no folding stock. Also, the fire control components and magazines are interchangeable with those of the AR-15.

I find that the AR-180B fits me better than AR-15s. YMMV.

More info at http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar180b.htm.

BallisticTip
June 13, 2004, 05:35 PM
Thats great how does it run.

Dave Markowitz
June 13, 2004, 06:32 PM
I haven't shot it yet. I will post a report after I get it to the range.

jacketch
June 17, 2004, 04:31 PM
I've had a 180B for a while now and have fired about 3000 rounds through it. It's accurate and reliable and I like the fact that it doesn't foul the receiver like the ar-15.

I find the British/Singapore 30 round steel mags work great but may need to have the feed lips trimmed back a bit with a metal file to feed reliably. Very little material needs to be removed.

Hope you enjoy your Ar180B as much as I do mine.