PDA

View Full Version : No Winchesters??

litman252
June 7, 2004, 07:47 PM
I don't seem to see much on Win. shotguns on the net???
I've 2 black shadow 1300's one is a Deer model, 20"(?) barrel fully rifled barrel that has a red dot on it. The other started out as a 26" win-choke, now 20". The leason about the barrel is don't shoot slugs out of a Win-choke barrel if you have a Imp-mod choke in it. ;)
What do you guys have???
Tony

ACP230
June 7, 2004, 10:17 PM
Winchesters get an occasional mention at the Shotgun forum at The High Road.

I like Model 12s and the one I got for high school graduation is still going strong. That kept me from buying 870s or the newer Winchester pumps.

In the last month I have considered three more Model 12s. It's a hard habit to break.

GunsnRovers
June 7, 2004, 10:23 PM
My only Winchester is a takedown '97. My Ithaca 37 DSPS is the primary here.

I've been debating sending out the '97 for a tune up and paint job.

Dave McC
June 8, 2004, 04:58 AM
IMO, the 1300 is a dard good shotgun. As I've mentioned in the past, the 1200 didn't stand up to the neglect and abuse of prison use, but those in private hands have done well when treated properly.

The 12 and 97 are classics. No better repeaters ever made,a distinction shared with the 870 Remington and the Ithaca 37.

BigD
June 8, 2004, 07:21 AM
I have a Sears Model 200 that I bought at an auction ten years ago that runs like a champ. I bought a 1200 WinChoke tube for it a Kittery Trading Post and haven't looked back.

YosemiteSam357
June 8, 2004, 01:31 PM
I've got both a Super X-1 Trap and a Supreme Sporting Select O/U, both of which are great guns and fantastic guns for the money. Some say the Super X-1 may be the best semi-auto shotgun ever made (see here (http://www.rjbsuperx1.com) for instance). The Supreme is certainly the best O/U available for the money, or so I found after about 3 months of searching last year.

I find the whole "ownership of the name" thing interesting, though. With all the corporate mergers and buyouts over the years, I find myself owning a gun (the Supreme) with the Winchester name on it, which was designed by Browning (based on a Beretta design), but actually made by FN in Belgium. Since Winchester, Browning and FN are all owned by the same company, this makes sense, in an inside-out sort of way... ("Browning" doesn't want to admit that any aspect of Beretta's design is worth copying, so they put their dual-lug locking mechanism on a gun with the "Winchester" label.)

-- Sam

patgizz
June 9, 2004, 12:38 PM
i've got a model 1200. i like it. my grandpa died in 85 and left it to me, but i was just a little kid. it's mint and never been shot, but the years of sitting took their toll and stuck something in the bolt. its off getting disassembled and cleaned so i can start using it.

Cameron Lamont
June 9, 2004, 11:05 PM
I have a very reliable Winchester Defender 1300 that I have been trying to break for some time now...

Regards,
Cameron

BigG
June 10, 2004, 03:20 PM
I have a Win Model 1897 cornshucker. I guess shotguns are more utilitarian than flashy, unless you get up into the supergrade trap guns. :)

bjorn
June 11, 2004, 12:29 AM
picked up my winchester 1300 defender on monday. absolutely love the gun. have cycled about half a case through it already. loads of fun and super fast.

bjorn

Panophobic
June 23, 2004, 01:18 AM
I've shot just under 25000 rounds through my 1300, mostly on skeet and sporting clays. I've had to replace the trigger group because the pin wouldn't stay put anymore, and have just pulled a rail off the slide for the second time (yes I do clean the gun...) It's had some problems but I like the gun too much to give up on it. As long as I keep beating my dad and his Remington 332 with my outdated pump I'll be happy.

Arizona Fusilier
June 23, 2004, 09:51 PM
I have a cruiser-grip Defender that was one of my truck guns.

Now it's my Z-gun.

K80Geoff
June 24, 2004, 06:42 AM
The Winchester 97, model 12 and original Super X were made in an era before CNC machining and were basically hand made and fitted by skilled workers. The Remington 31 and Ithaca 37 were made the same way.

If they haven't been left rusting in the barn or a car trunk they will work forever.

Problem is the winchesters have become "Cult" guns and prices have risen accordingly. Like Parker SXS's they are way overpriced.

If you are lucky enough to own or inherit one hang on to it, your grandchildren will thank you.

I am still looking for that Remington 31 I can get for next to nothing because it isn't a cult gun and isn't pretty. But they never seem to be found in used gun racks. :o

Skavatar
September 9, 2004, 02:22 AM
Win 1300 Defender 18" 12ga
Win 1300 Black Shadow 28" 12ga

sm
September 9, 2004, 08:23 AM
Dave McC,Yosemite,and K80Geoff - nailed it.

Steve, who has been known to fire a "few" rounds through a Winchester,
*snicker*

nico
September 9, 2004, 02:02 PM
I have an SX2 that's had around 2000 rounds put through it in the past two years (haven't had as much time to shoot this year) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else. Considering that Berettas start at around $800 or $900, I'd say it's one of the best semi-autos for the money (mine was under $600). The fit and finish isn't quite as nice as my dad's SBE, but I'd rather have my gun any day. The difference in recoil is like comparing my .270 rifle to a .223. The only thing I don't like about it is that I haven't been able to find a shell catcher for trap.

K80Geoff
September 9, 2004, 03:24 PM
I understand that the SX2 is basically the same gun as the Browning gold auto. Shell catchers for the Browning should work on your gun. Failing that there is always the old rubber band trick.

trapperready
September 9, 2004, 03:36 PM
K80Geoff - I avoided a Super X2 when I bought my 391 just for this issue. I mentioned it over at THR, and someone tried the Browning Gold catcher, and it didn't work.

nico
September 10, 2004, 12:38 AM
Trapperready, that may have been me. I don't remember if I posted about it on THR but I spent $10 to find out that apparently whatever differences there are between the recievers of the Gold and the SX2, they're enough that a shell catcher for a Gold definitely won't work for an SX2. That being said, asside from asthetics (nicer fit and finish on the Gold), the guns are pretty much functionally identical. I read an article when I first got my gun comparing the two and the gas systems and performance were basically identical.

www.tommortonandcompany.com sells a mechanical shell catcher for Remingtons that can be used for doubles. It's a little pricy, but it looks like a pretty cool device. They're developing them for the 390, SX1, and SX2. I have one of their mechanical recoil reducers that I like a lot and plan on buying the shell catcher when it becomes available. I'll email them and let you guys know when they expect to start selling the shell catchers. From another thread, there seems to be a significant number of SX2/beretta owners on this site. Maybe they'd do a group buy?

Skeetin'870
July 1, 2005, 11:56 PM
I had a 1200 and easily put 1500 rounds through it in 2 months (I shoot alot)
And around the end of that time it would eject the fired shell and the live shell from the magazine tube. Also the action had become very difficult to use, but then it lightened up all of the sudden. I gave it back and havent shot it since but I dont miss it