PDA

View Full Version : Check out New 1911 Upper from Hogue

Higgins
May 29, 2004, 09:08 PM
Anybody seen or know more about this new 1911 upper being offered by Hogue? (Fixed barrel, non-gas operated, sights never move in relation to barrel) . . .

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html

"With Patents Pending the Avenger is an entirely new handgun action that is different from anything else ever made before! This new action eliminates the problems associated with using a fixed barrel with high power cartridges. The Avenger is not gas operated and in comparison installs easily on the frame and doesn't suffer from gas operated fouling problems, in fact, the Avenger even works well with lead bullets. The extreme accuracy comes from a match barrel fixed in place with the sighting device, there is simply no movement between the sight and the barrel. The fixed barrel eliminates the need for the costly gunsmithing required to precision fit a conventional slide and barrel. Installation is so simple you can take the Avenger upper off and put the stock slide on in a matter of minutes."

Ugly, but interesting.

gyp_c2
May 29, 2004, 09:27 PM
I was thinkin' I'd try it 'til I hit the price part...

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?pid=4622&step=4

That's 2 Springfield Mil_specs...I look forward to someone elses' review though!

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/bandit.gif

JimJD
May 29, 2004, 11:46 PM
Egads!
Ditto on the price...
I was hoping for a $500.00 msrp.

Handy
May 30, 2004, 05:23 PM
Well, it sounds like mechanically delayed blowback - which is probably the right way to make a fixed barrel .45 that works with different loads. I'm interested to find out which leverage principle they used - rollers, levers, tilting block, or ?

As to this effort - yikes. The blockiness is a minor sin, but the bore height and price are certainly not advantagous. It is probably that tall because the barrel/upper use the frame rails as an anchor, rather than just the 1911 barrel saddle. Which is a huge shame because a non-tilting barrel is an opportunity to bring bore height down. Considering how trim such system can be (P9S, Benelli B76), this just seems clumsy.

If something like this is to catch on it needs to be reasonably cheap to get people interested - especially if your product looks like a concrete block.

As it is, you could still probably get similar results for close to the same cash outlay in a fitted 1911, which is what that crowd is going to want. Really, they should have just charged $1200 for a basic non-1911 gun that uses 1911 lockwork and wide body mags. It would be less ugly and non-traditionalists would be less likely to not hate it as the current offering.

Tamara
May 30, 2004, 06:32 PM
Depending on accuracy results, this would seem to be worth a stab as an "Any Other Centerfire" bullseye gun, allowing one to use the same frame for a three stage match (using a Marvel for the .22 stage.) Or would the mild recoil of some wadcutter launcher outweigh any advantages the constant barrel/frame/sights relationship that this piece could theoretically offer?

Well, I'm sure someone will buy one and give it a whirl. If he does well, expect others to follow...

Handy
May 30, 2004, 07:44 PM
It could be made to fire wadcutter with the right springs, I'm betting. But if you have the regular 1911 set up for accurate use in the service pistol stage, why switch to this thing for the one stage?

Standing Wolf
May 30, 2004, 07:51 PM
Looks like another solution in search of a problem to me.

Tamara
May 30, 2004, 08:22 PM
It could be made to fire wadcutter with the right springs, I'm betting. But if you have the regular 1911 set up for accurate use in the service pistol stage, why switch to this thing for the one stage?

By "wadcutters" I should've clarified that I was referring to mild .38 Spl loads out of a revolver, Smith 52 autochucker, or converted 1911.

The advantage that these guns (or the gas guns) could give is that you'd be able to use the grip and trigger you're familiar with and the frame you've already paid for, and be able to mount red-dot sights rigidly to the barrel for Any Centerfire, since there is no conventional reciprocating slide covering it. With this, a service pistol slide, and a Marvel upper, you'd be able to shoot all three stages off one set of grips and trigger pull.

Handy
May 30, 2004, 08:55 PM
Yes, I have a tight 1911 that shoots wadcutter or ball, depending on the springs. I didn't realize you meant a target centerfire with different sights or optics.

That would certainly work.

Bill Z
May 30, 2004, 10:21 PM
Standing Wolf , I'm sure it comes with it's own set of problems, but your right, it looks like it could find a few more. :D

JimJD
May 30, 2004, 10:32 PM
You know...after some thought on the upper, maybe a $500.00 msrp was a little too high.
If it was out for, let's say three hundred dollars, I'd give one a whirl...maybe.
Meh.

Tamara
May 30, 2004, 10:34 PM
I didn't realize you meant a target centerfire with different sights or optics.

...or ammo. ;) I was referring to the .38 Special wadcutter load which still clings to popularity in the Any Centerfire class due to its mild recoil and inherent accuracy, despite the higher-scoring hole punched by .45 semi-wadcutters...

Sorry for the misunderstanding! :o

Handy
May 30, 2004, 11:26 PM
Then my mistake. I had been told the .45 Wadcutters were now more common.