PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a Savage .22?

MattC58
July 11, 2000, 06:31 AM
Howdy Folks,

I'm looking to get a .22lr rifle for general plinking and rifle training. I've been reading all of the advice on Ruger 10/22 v. Remington 597.

A rifle I haven't really seen mentioned is the Savage 64 line. Do they perform as well as the other Savage rifles? I saw one at Wal-mart last night for $95.

Nestor Rivera
July 11, 2000, 11:35 AM
Have not shot the new savage but they have a fairly good rep over all, some old ones (no lovecraft jokes pleas) I have shot were just fine.

And as a bonus for $95+Tax you cant go to far wrong.

If really basic but good rifle is what you want try one of the Romanian 5shot trainers at a gun show, in the $60-75 range ($40 mail order ) Good Luck

SWMoregon
July 11, 2000, 03:54 PM
Matt, I got one of those Walmart Savage (62F has the synthetic stock) semi-auto .22lr for $92.97 (total cost-no sale tax here in Oregon) and it's a wonderful shooter. I also have a Remington 597. Accuracy is about the same between the two but the Savage has a much better trigger out of the box. I sent the 597 trigger unit back to the Remington authorized shop (Mann&Sons in Ohio) and they improved the trigger quite a bit, but the Savage trigger is still better and it's totally stock out of the box. I use a Simmons .22mag scope back and forth between the Remington and the Savage, but it seems to have come to rest semi-permanently on the Savage. Both rifles are great little shooters, but the Savage is a better bargain for under a hundred dollars.
Sam in Oregon

Magichelmt
July 12, 2000, 04:54 PM
I looked at the savage and the Rugar. I went with the Rugar just for the fact that there are so many options open to you if you decide you want to modify anything. There are so many options out there for the Rugar. Also it very easy to do your self. I picked mine up from Walmart($154). I shot my friends Savage and it was a nice gun but, I decided to go with the Rugar. What I have saved in ammunition costs alone from not shooting my .45 every weekend has more than made up for the costs of new toys and the initial price difference. But that is my opinion. And we all know what they say about those. Either way you will have fun. Safe shooting.

BlasterMaster
July 14, 2000, 10:55 PM
Like SWMoregon, I have a Savage/Stevens Model 62F that I bought at Wal-mart for close to a hundred bux even. Really accurate gun, reliable too. I consider it a great buy for anyone looking for an inexpensive, yet reliable .22lr rimfire rifle. There may be one drawback, though. I've had my rifle for about 10 months and have been noticing that the firing pin gives light strikes, causing unreliable detonation of the bullet :confused: . This problem might be due to the age of the gun (which is only 10 months, after all), ammo fired through it, or just my particular gun. I really need to get it checked out...

Sincerely,

=BM

[This message has been edited by BlasterMaster (edited July 14, 2000).]