PDA

View Full Version : P-38/P-1 parts rattling inside frame.

Beyond_Visual_Range
December 25, 2002, 02:14 PM
I have a P1 and also a P38, both have mysterious rattling sound. I found out what it was after removing the P1 slide. It's the 2 small shiney metal pieces above the mag well flopping around, called the "Firing Pin Lock, Lifter" and "Safety Hammer Lowering Lever". They have minimal lateral movement so when shaken side to side, sometimes there's a slight sound and sometimes none. But the metals do flop up and down when you shake P1 up and down or diagnally, and that's the source of the rattling. That happens with mag in and mag out. The slide feels pretty tight with frame so there's no sound of that nature.

I checked for the same thing on my P38 AC43. To my surprise there's a similar sound when I shake it up and down. It's not as noticeable but definitely there. There's no sound when I shake side to side however. I'm surprised I never noticed this before, probably because it sounded normal and less "hollow" in a steel frame.

What I'd like to know is if this is normal for P1 and P38. I'd like to know if you have a similar sound when you shake your P-1 and P-38. I dont' think they are worn, but I dont' see why they are this loose to begin with. By the way, they are excellent Walther designs, I dont' think any handgun collection can be complete without them. The SOG P1 is only $199 right now. :)

BigG
December 25, 2002, 06:50 PM
Yup. The reason I shied away from P38s for so many years was the multitude of tinny parts inside that rattle somewhat like a sack of carpenter's tools. That said, I have a P38 and a P1 and I also enjoy shooting them. Pretty good trigger for a crunchenticker. :D

James K
December 26, 2002, 06:25 PM
If things work OK, don't worry. Looseness is normal in those parts.

Jim

jimturner
December 26, 2002, 10:48 PM
The ejector is not stationary on the P-38 or P-1 .It is pinned to the frame and flops around.This might be what you are hearing.