PDA

View Full Version : Winchester with a BOSS

ARKCHAZ
June 28, 2000, 12:42 PM
I have a rifle question from a buddy of mine at work. Why did Winchester quit offering the BOSS on it's bolt action rifles? You can now only get them on Brownings. Thanks.

DOCSpanky
June 28, 2000, 03:26 PM
I'll prove the fact I double as a computer geek here;

The BOSS system is like AMD's K6-3 series of processors. Highly advanced and to someone who knows what they are doing, a true asset. But to the masses, it just seems like a glorified K6-2!

Case in point, the computer I'm siting in front of has an AMD K6-3 450 mhz. I use it to go to our local computer gaming hut to play games like Half-Life, and Quake 3. www.fraglan.com (http://www.fraglan.com) I make more people angry when they sit down to their P3 600 MHZ. And my 450 outruns them. Its all in the cache in this computer. Just as the benefits of the BOSS system, can only be utilized by someone who knows what they are doing.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers must sell a mass quantity of guns to stay in buisness. Joe Schmo off the street will have no concept of barrel harmonics and vibrations that the BOSS system compensates for. Therefore when they see a standard for $500, and a BOSS equipped for $600, they will usually opt for the cheaper of the two. Therefore the manufacturers scale back or cease production of the BOSS, or the AMD K6-3 processor.

IMHO

DOC

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

DeBee
June 29, 2000, 11:09 AM
I'll chime in here.

The Winchester 70 is a rifle known for it's classic lines. I think hanging a thing off the end of the barrel really spoiled the "look" despite the fact you could tune in almost any decent load to sub MOA with a BOSS in place.

Moreover, the average hunter doesn't really need sub MOA, doesn't tweek his load, generally shoots factory ammo (whatever is on sale), and won't take the time to fidget with the thing.

I ran into a more aesthetically pleasing accuracy enhancing device consisting of a
Delrin block on a long Allen screw which is bedded into the forearm of the rifle- the screw head is adjusted through a small hole in the forend tip. This device allows you to increase or decrease the pressure on the barrel by sliding the block back and forth thus modifying barrel harmonics...

If you are really into the BOSS, I occasionally see them on Gunsamerica.com.

Oris
June 29, 2000, 11:27 AM
BOSS did not take off in sales because people buy what they think is practical for them and not because they do not understand the "beauty" of BOSS innovation. Hate to repeat the old truth, but it is the market that decides what is really O.K. and what is not.

Art Eatman
June 29, 2000, 01:21 PM
DeBee, what's the source on that Delrin block gizmo?

Art

416Rigby
June 29, 2000, 02:48 PM
I agree with DeBee!

The BOSS is a marketing gizmo that belongs more at the end of a self-conscious city-slicker's rifle. To me, it's like spoiling the natural lines of a beautiful lady's legs with a pair of orthopedic shoes. Sure, they give good support......... ;)

Besides, the BOSS system adds a heck of a lot of muzzle-blast to an otherwise normal hunting rifle, making it not only butt-ugly, but also very unpleasant to shoot.

I applaud Winchester for their adherence to classic lines. Win and Ruger are, to my knowledge, the only regular rifle-makers who turn out pieces with that timeless appeal.

DOCSpanky
June 29, 2000, 03:07 PM
TOUCHE!!!!!!

Not like a .416 Rigby is a pleasant little pea shooter either??????

In all seriousness, Yes, the BOSS takes away from the classic lines. BUT........

I'm 5'4", weigh about 160. Not a whole lot to back any serious cartridge with. I have to have someone else pattern in my MOSSY 500 for turkey season, I can only handle 1-2 of those 3" Magnums. I was fortunate to fire a Browning A-Bolt in .308 without the BOSS, then to fire one with the BOSS. Yes it is signifigantly louder, BUT, Recoil is much more pleasant. And since I wear double hearing protection anytime I'm shooting anything larger than a .22, the report doesn't bother me at all. It does, however, the first time you fire it at the range, draw complete and total attention to itself :D

Kinda the BIG BOOM philosiphy :D

DOC

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

KilgorII
June 29, 2000, 04:06 PM
My Browning .308 w/ Boss came with two Boss end. One with the break, the other without. I prefer the one with the break. Might go with the CR (conventional recoil) when hunting though. You can say what you want. If you want purty over function fine, your choice. Actually though I really like the lines of my Browning Varminter .308. Just got my Harris bipod today, will put it on tonight.

Futo Inu
June 29, 2000, 05:10 PM
Very interesting, Kilgore. So tell us. If you tuned your rifle at the range with the muzzle-breaked BOSS and came up with setting "X", for your load, could you then confidently replace the BOSS with the non-braked BOSS, put new one on setting "X" and without testing, and head out hunting, knowing that it would still group the same in the field as the braked BOSS at the range?

KilgorII
June 29, 2000, 05:32 PM
I don't know yet. I haven't had it long enough to properly wring this rifle out. Right now I am getting all the reloading component's together to start loading. I plan on taking it shooting this weekend. Will advise.

WalterGAII
June 30, 2000, 06:42 PM
It's a "BRAKE", not a "BREAK"!!! I own a Win. 70 Classic Stainless .243 with BOSS. Also have the CR attachment. Wanted a varmint-contour Rem. when I bought the Win., but let a dealer friend talk me into trying the Win.

If you reload, then you don't need the BOSS. The BOSS is fine for adapting to factory loads. Takes a lot of ammo and patience to get the thing to work.

The BOSS is not a particlarly complicated, inovative piece of machinery. There are several similar designs about.

If I can get $400 for the BOSS-equipped Win., I'll buy either a Rem. or Tikka heavy-barrel and know that I can shoot 1/4" groups.

Halfpint
July 1, 2000, 04:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Futo Inu:
Very interesting, Kilgore. So tell us. If you tuned your rifle at the range with the muzzle-breaked BOSS and came up with setting "X", for your load, could you then confidently replace the BOSS with the non-braked BOSS, put new one on setting "X" and without testing, and head out hunting, knowing that it would still group the same in the field as the braked BOSS at the range?[/quote]

As one who has both a Browning `varminter' in .223 and .308 with BOSSes on them I can say, YES! Once you get them `dialed in' any differences between the two is miniscule. Though, personally, since I mainly shoot varmints the non-CR BOSS w/brake is a bit of a plus. Downrange `noise' is actually fairly reduced. (Though one *does* have to wear some pretty decent hearing protection when shooting. And... {BSE GRIN!} The one time I actually broke down and went to a `commercial?' range everyone else stopped shooting after my first shot. [And that was with the .223! {CHORTLE!} I didn't even bother to unlimber the .308.] However since I have my own `private?' range at home I really don't notice the noise all that much.)

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-

Futo Inu
July 1, 2000, 10:52 AM
Thank you, Kilgor. Please let us know, either here, or email me.

Thanks, halfpint! But what do you mean by "non-CR"?

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited July 01, 2000).]

DeBee
July 2, 2000, 11:18 AM
Art-

Sorry, I don't have a live link for that Delrin block gizmo...

The device is called the AccuMajic Accurizer and a search of the web should produce a page with complete information...

Anyone willing to install one and report?

kidcoltoutlaw
May 16, 2001, 11:01 PM
i love the winchester boos as well mine is a 338 mag and will shoot 3 inch or less groups at 500 yards.i would never buy another rifle that does not have it .i dont like browning but looks like i will be getting one if i buy another bolt gun.

taco
May 16, 2001, 11:39 PM
I think BOSS was a great system for us guys who shoots more than one box of ammo a year and can shoot well enough to take advantage of it. Most guys I see at the range with BOSS equipped rifles don't shoot well to start with and don't have the patience to actually shoot bunch of groups to see which setting works best. They usually shoot crappy 6" groups as usual and change the setting few time and are happy when they get 5" groups.