PDA

View Full Version : Buying the next CCW gun, my Christmas present to me

wild billz
December 23, 2002, 01:26 PM
Ok, This will be my last oppurtunity to ask the esteemed members of TFL a question, and its wide open for input.

here are the basic requirements. Needs to be small for CCW, I have 500 - 550 bucks to spend (wouldn't mind being able to get a holster and gun for same $), caliber- was thinking 9mm, but not opposed to 40 or 45 cal., want a semi auto. Some guns I was thinking about include: Springfield XD- new sub compact, glock 26 or 27, sig p239 (or other sig), Khar, maybe a keltec, S&W CS9, or any other option. HELP limit the field. there's a gun show first week of jan, so need ideas to see if I can find it and get a good price, I can always wait and save more if needed. Also any positive or negative feed back welcome, as well as input on other manufactures I don't have listed

thanks,

wild billz
December 23, 2002, 01:28 PM
like features like external safties, not just a trigger and internal like the glocks,

sig970
December 23, 2002, 01:29 PM
Rent and fire as many as you can. My .02 would be a Sig P239 with a hogue wrap around grip.

wild billz
December 23, 2002, 01:48 PM
renting was my original intent, unfortunately the closest range that ive gone to doesn't rent small guns, and I quote, "they're not fun to shoot." That places prices are also usually 75 bucks higher than everyone elses. There are a couple of other places to rent from.

thanks for the sig input, can one be had for under 500 bucks?

bastiat
December 23, 2002, 01:58 PM
If you want to limit it, the glocks, kahrs, and keltecs don't have the external safeties you mentioned. The XD subcompact does have a grip safety added, but that's pretty much it. But very few people have even seen it, so not many can give feedback on it.

My top two choices would be the XD and kahr, decision made based on how many rounds you think you need VS. concealability / comfort due to width.

CD will cost you less, saving you money for the holster. Kel-tec will save you the most, but could have issues initially require anything from a fluff&buff to a trip back to the factory to fix.