PDA

View Full Version : Last pistol purchase, need help!

Alex DeTrana
December 20, 2002, 10:54 PM
OK, here's the story. I live in Kalifornia and a new law goes into effect starting the first of the year. It states that anyone buying a pistol must pay to take a gun safety course at their local law enforcement agency. Needless to say I'm buying another pistol before the first. I already own a 454 SRH for hunting and an HK USP 45 that sits on my bedstand. I think I need a small handgun that is easily concealed. I was leaning toward the HK compact but that's an $800 gun. Then I was thinking a snub nose taurus Ti, then I researced and found problems. Any suggestion in either a 45 auto ot a 357 revolver?

James K
December 20, 2002, 11:16 PM
Maryland made a big thing out of a gun safety course to be given by the State Police. But not enough funds, so the "course" is a 20 minute video tape, one time. Then you get a card that is good indefinitely. Also, current or former police or military are exempt.

So don't give up on guns just because they throw some roadblocks in the way. That is what they want to do - end gun sales and ultimately gun ownership in CA. Take the course, and buy whatever they allow that you like. And I should not have to mention registering and voting, plus working with like-minded folks to get the law repealed or modified. It will be tough with an idiot for governor and morons in the legislature, but I would not quit trying.

Jim

blades67
December 21, 2002, 12:27 AM
Take a look at a Kimber Pro Carry.

Alex DeTrana
December 21, 2002, 12:37 AM
The S&W model 340 looks real nice!

J.Bourne
December 21, 2002, 12:43 AM
Since the $800 pricetag of the HK is a problem, I might humbly suggest the closer to $500 Glock 21 or 36.

Or, if you're not a Glock fan, how 'bout a used Sig P220 for maybe $75 or $100 more?

I think you need to initially decide whether you want a wheelgun or a SA, though...

Kermit
December 21, 2002, 01:04 AM
Quitters never win! The tide will turn & those boneheads will be replaced.

As for which gun...I would recommend either a used USPc 45, a new S&W 640. As a concealed gun, the 640 is alot of gun for its size and still very controllable & shootable.

JBarn3
December 21, 2002, 07:35 AM
Alex,

The new law isn't quite as bad as you seem to think. No, I don't like it, but It's a fairly mild irritation in comparison to what some residents of other states/cities have to deal with.

There is no gun safety course required, at the LEA or otherwise. There is a 30 question test administered by your gun dealer accompanied by a $25 fee. Upon passing the test you are issued a Handgun Safety Certificate. (They refuse to call it a license, even though it really is one) The Certificate is good for 5 years.

Once you have the HSC, you can buy your handgun. Before delivery of the handgun you must show that you know how to safely operate the firearm. No shooting or anything, just load, unload, verify chamber is empty, install and remove trigger lock and make safe.

The other new nuisance is that all firearms transactions must be accompanied by your right thumbprint. This is the same thumbprint the DMV already has from when you got your license/I.D. which is required to buy a gun, So they aren't getting anything new, and the thumbprint stays with the dealer, it isn't put into a state database or anything (at least not yet). The state has all 10 of my prints for professional licensing purposes, so I'm not worried about it.

There are several other new firearm related laws, all of which can be viewed here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/0203.pdf) at the state website. They deal with things such as non-doj approved gun-locks can no longer be sold or deliverd. Which means that if Ruger doesn't have the yellow cable lock on the state list, the dealer is prohibited from letting you have the lock under penalty of fines and loss of ability to deal in firearms.

While I completely disagree with any and all laws restricting firearms and consider them to be unconstitutional, I will not allow the gun grabbers in this state to win. I will buy more firearms. In fact I am delaying the purchase of 2 handguns until after new years so they go down as 2 guns the liberals couldn't grab. :D

Inoxmark
December 21, 2002, 06:47 PM
Yes, all those things suck but can be dealt with. The worst thing about new laws is a requirement to produce an evidence of California residence in form of utility bill, lease agreement, property deed or military order.
Just think how many people are going to be effectively disqualified from purchasing a handgun:
- all people living with parents;
- all older parents living at their children's houses;
- all live-in boyfriends/girlfriends;
- all roommates that are not on master lease agreement;
- all spouses whose name is not on the deed, or utility bills;
I am sure I missed few more examples.

With insane housing prices in CA I am sure there are millions of people who are unfortunate enough to be in one of the above categories.

Sactown
December 21, 2002, 08:51 PM
The new laws suck, but they shouldn't stop you from buying another handgun in 2003. You have to get fingerprinted and picture taken when you renew your drivers license. Don't let the gun grabbers deter you from excercising your right. I have many more handguns I'm going to purchase in Kali.

SVRider
December 23, 2002, 02:32 PM
I live with my parents and don't know how I'm going to get around the "utility bill" requirement. The closest thing I've got would be insurance bills or wireless bills, maybe these will work.

Back to the original question though. The small Taurus PT series are pretty concealable. So are the Kahr's and "baby" Glocks if your budget allows. How do you manage to get a CCW permit in California anyway?

sig970
December 23, 2002, 07:20 PM
I second the motion for a look at the Kimber Pro carry

Ledbetter
December 23, 2002, 07:34 PM
Either the S&W 649, a stainless shrouded hammer DA/SA J frame .357,

or

a Colt Defender/Officers.

SIGarmed
December 23, 2002, 07:37 PM
SVRider

Have them write up a lease for you. You can get the forms at the local office supply store. Its as easy as that.

Blackhawk
December 23, 2002, 07:52 PM
Alex,

Taurus PT-145. Taurus shot themselves in the foot by not being upfront about a polymer cracking problem they had that was cured in all guns made after SN NUIxxxx. Latest price I know of was $365 NIB at a gun show.

It's a 10+1 subcompact .45, and the ONLY complaints anybody has had about them that I'm aware of was that now long fixed plastic cracking problem.

Any old ones aren't a concern either because Taurus promptly updates them and there are several reports of Taurus paying the shipping both ways. The guns have a lifetime warranty.

Check the search utility on PT-145s and here's a recent post: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146998

eap
December 23, 2002, 09:25 PM
don't kid yourself, california is a loss. move! nevada and arizona are gun friendly.

J.Bourne
December 23, 2002, 11:22 PM
Lose the nickel plated sissy pistols and get yourself a Glock (G30 or G36) :cool: