PDA

View Full Version : What ring height?

BigJon
December 18, 2002, 09:53 AM
Need to mount a scope with a 56 mm objective and 30mm tube on a BAR with a Remington one-piece base. Will I need "high" or "extra high" rings?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
December 18, 2002, 10:33 AM
I guess I wasn't aware Remington made scope mounts-------I'm thinking you'll need ex-high for that monster.

BigJon
December 18, 2002, 10:49 AM
You're right. Fingers got in front of brain. Leupold base. Gettin' old.

Regards,
Jon

DAVID NANCARROW
December 18, 2002, 11:37 AM
Extra high rings. Just put a scope with a 50MM objective on a friends Remington 700. 1" diameter scope tube and it clears but not by a lot. Maybe 1/8 to 3/16"

BigJon
December 18, 2002, 11:40 AM
Roger that, David. Thank you sir.

P.S. - Oh, and the reason I ask is that the scope is currently installed on a Remington 700. Douglas Barrel. Can't remember the taper, but it's a little thicker than the standard weight factory barrel. The scope clears just barely; I have flip up covers, and I had to grind a hole in the bottom of the objective cover to keep it from touching the barrel. One could barely get a sheet of paper between the scope cover and barrel now. Tha's so tight, I just didn't know how I'd do with a BAR.

Regards,
Jon

Ironbarr
December 18, 2002, 01:00 PM
Same question, smaller objective lens, 4x32var, 1" tube on an AR-15 flattop.

Thanks.

-Andy

BigJon
December 18, 2002, 02:09 PM
Right on the money, David. Went to my favorite local smithy during lunch. Attached some super high rings and laid in a Euro scope that has a 30mm tube and 56mm objective like my Zeiss. That showed me what I needed to know.

Itonbar - I have the same set up - my scope's a very old Redfield with a BDC in it. (Holding me until I get enough cheese saved up for the ACOG I want). It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that any low weaver ring will work. If you want primo, have heard that the wide Badger rings and bases are the way to go.

Regards,
Jon

Ironbarr
December 18, 2002, 05:22 PM
Jon, I had bought some low Weavers, but couldn't see a thing... front sight post in way... need to get 2.6 inches above bore center, but don't know the riser/mount block to buy - want it right first time out (mail backs take too long and a pain.

I think the block should be about and inch or so in height.

Sooner or later it'll be disclosed.

Happy holidays, all.

-Andy

BigJon
December 18, 2002, 05:37 PM
And, there I go again - not readin! Yours is a flat-top. Mine is a carry-handle mount. Sorry, man.