PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 Magazines

like2shoot
April 25, 1999, 03:45 AM
I recently purchased a stainless Mini 14. Can anyone give me advice on some good aftermarket mags and where to find them, Thanks.

spleenandideal
April 25, 1999, 01:01 PM
Go to gunshows and find pre-ban hi-cap Ruger-made mags in 20 or 30 rounders. They are getting very difficult to find and fetch a premium price. Last fall I bought three 20 round pre-ban mags at 45 dollars.....each! Good luck.

seanc
April 26, 1999, 10:08 PM
I just bought one to. I also bought 4 thermold 30 rounders. I'll try them out this weekend. I got the ranch rifle with the intent of putting a red dot on the gun. Is there a better brand for the Mini-14, given the Ruger sight mounts? I'll get back to you on the thermold mags.

amalgam
April 27, 1999, 01:46 AM
I've purchased thermolds, ramlines, and "USA" brands for my own use. i've been very reluctant to pay $65 and up for a mini-14 factory mag, even though I recently bought Glock mags at $70 apiece. I guess I look to my glock for self-defense, and will spend more because of that.

TTed
April 27, 1999, 12:35 PM
I just bought a new Mini14. High cap mags are getting harder to find, but I called Bushmaster and they told me that Precision Magazines are the best aftermarket magazines. I bought two 20 round Precision Mags at a gunshow last weekend for $35 each. They are excellent quality and function flawlessly. I also bought a bunch of 20 round nickeled Western magazines from Forrest Inc. (619)581-5800 for $10.95 each, and while the quality was not nearly as good, I fired all 7 magazines and they all functioned OK. I had a few last round jams where the tip of the bullet wasn't elevated enough by the follower, but out of 50 rounds, this only happened twice.

TTed
April 27, 1999, 12:35 PM
I just bought a new Mini14. High cap mags are getting harder to find, but I called Bushmaster and they told me that Precision Magazines are the best aftermarket magazines. I bought two 20 round Precision Mags at a gunshow last weekend for $35 each. They are excellent quality and function flawlessly. I also bought a bunch of 20 round nickeled Western magazines from Forrest Inc. (619)581-5800 for $10.95 each, and while the quality was not nearly as good, I fired all 7 magazines and they all functioned OK. I had a few last round jams where the tip of the bullet wasn't elevated enough by the follower, but out of 50 rounds, this only happened twice.

like2shoot
April 27, 1999, 06:26 PM
thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate the help. I wish Ruger would make a ten round factory mag for the mini 14.

Bushwhacker
April 27, 1999, 08:26 PM
Try this site for your mag needs, I've got several types of mags (including Mini-14) from here and have had no problems with the mags at all.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/

4V50 Gary
April 27, 1999, 10:12 PM
I'll endorse what TTed says about Precision Magazines. They're the aftermarket of my choice when it comes to the Mini14.

Ruger does not make its own high capacity magazines for the Mini14. It was subcontracted out. Since I've got both original Ruger high capacity and Precision Mags, I did a side by side comparison and the only difference I could discern is the floorplate.

like2shoot
May 6, 1999, 05:41 PM
Just for info I found that Wilsons is carrying 30 round stainless Precision mags for $27.95. I ordered 4 of them. They came in two days////great service. I will report back on how they work when I get a chance.

DHH
May 6, 1999, 06:57 PM
Could you post contact information for Wilsons? I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Dave

like2shoot
May 6, 1999, 11:01 PM
Wilsons 1-800-955-4856 they take credit cards///orders over 50 bucks shipped free. Mini 14 30 round blue precision mags 24.95//stainless 27.95. From what I have experienced their customer service is great. They also have ar15 mags on sale....good luck.

cornered rat
May 7, 1999, 12:17 PM
I just ordered two 30rd to try...will get more if they work. Yes, customer service seems VERY nice.

------------------
Cornered Rat
ddb.com/RKBA (http://ddb.com/RKBA) Updated March 20
"Disarm, then past the barbed wire, into the oven and out of the smoke-stack..."

like2shoot
May 7, 1999, 12:57 PM
Regarding their customer service. Two of the magazines I ordered came via U.S. Mail. The package was wet and it looked like it got thrown a long distance. One of the magazines inside was rattling. I called Wilsons and they sent me two replacement magazines and the return packaging postage paid to return the old ones. They did this trusting me to return the damaged box and magazines. All of this in two days. GREAT SERVICE. I am going to continue to order from them.

FireForged
June 20, 2000, 09:00 PM
I have found the Precision Mag Industries and John Masen Mags are the best. I have bought several of each and they work flawlessly.
www.clipsnstuff.com (http://www.clipsnstuff.com)
www.johnmasen.com (http://www.johnmasen.com)