PDA

View Full Version : My .270 WSM Browning A-Bolt goes to the Range

Cody
December 13, 2002, 09:54 PM
I took my New Browning A-Bolt to the range this afternoon. I am very pleased with the rifle and this new short magnum caliber. This rifle shoots about as flat as flat. Once I sighted in the scope I made no adjustments at all out to 100 yds and I bet it would still be shooting high at 200 yds. Loaded with the right ammunition there is no doubt that this rifle could perform as a 300 – 350 yd Deer & Elk Rifle.:) For Elk I would load up 150 or 160gr in either Nosler Partitions or Barnes-X Bullets. Today I just loaded up some fodder (130gr Hornady) reloads to use to sight in the scope. Soon I will chrono the reloads and see what they do.

Cody

BIGR
December 14, 2002, 05:14 PM
I was wondering what potential that caliber had. A guy at work just bought an A Bolt like yours. I have been trying to get a range report from him but he is a little slow about getting his scope mounted on it. It appears that caliber will be just a notch above the regular .270 as far as performance. I would probably try one if I was a .270 man but I am a diehard 30.06 man. Good luck with your rifle and loads. :)

DAVID NANCARROW
December 15, 2002, 01:47 PM
If the ballistics are anywhere near the 270 Weatherby, that is going to be one outstanding cartridge. The gun shows around DFW are loaded with these new short magnums-what I don't understand is the 22 inch barrels. I would have suspected that in order to see its full potential, a 26 inch barrel would have been in order.

Cody
December 15, 2002, 01:57 PM
The gun shows around DFW are loaded with these new short magnums-what I don't understand is the 22 inch barrels. I would have suspected that in order to see its full potential, a 26 inch barrel would have been in order.

The Browning A-Bolts come with 23" barrels. I have a chronograph but have yet to chrono any loads yet. This last weekend I had the rifle out for the first time and used some handloads to sight in the rifle. The rifle is shooting about 2.5" high at 100yds. It is a very flat shooting caliber and I hope to chrono some handloads soon.

DAVID NANCARROW
December 15, 2002, 01:59 PM
Keep us informed Cody-inquiring shooters want to know:D