PDA

View Full Version : Any good non-traditional .22?

Spirex288
June 7, 2000, 06:21 PM
What I mean by the subject is everything else excluding the Rem 597, 10/22, etc..
I got a Shotgun News issue from earlier last month and there are pretty good deals on no name brand plinkers. I'm wondering if there are any good ones out there that would give me good accuracy but won't cost too much.

anodes
June 7, 2000, 06:40 PM
Spirex288, Well, you just shot down two of the plinkers I have (and love)! I can tell you what I know and what I think.

Know: I've got a win 67B single shot I got for ~$95, great condition, check the shows as I've seen a couple I would've wanted next to the one I have. I got a "Ranger" Pump w/24" BBL that is really solid; Ranger was a brand name used by Sears on Savage, Stevens and other manufactures, mine is a Stevens 29B (I think). It's great for ~$120. You might also want to look for old US or Foreign, service issue .22RF training rifles. I suggest you research
that deep subject a bit.

There is a Romanian model for sale @ J&G Sales (JGSALES.COM) @~$50. That might be your best bet!!

Think: a lotta people like the Rem. Nylon 66, some hate it. You might look at the Rem. Speedmasters. Generally the older guns by Mossberg, Stevens, H&R will be cheaper and still shoot tacks. You might be throwing dice if you want to buy a gun you haven't seen or felt (that's how I would feel). If you do pursue a purchase through the Internet, SGN or Gunlist ask for an inspection period of X# of days (like 3), before making your commitment. Luck.
anodes.

Gunslinger
June 7, 2000, 09:05 PM
Marlin (Glenfield) model 60. They are the most accurate inexpensive .22 I've ever used.

Rossi model 62. Reproduction of the classic pump Winchester gallery rifle.

Henry lever action repeater. Another reproduction of a classic.

AK-7. Definitely non traditonal.......and ugly. ;)

While not inexpensive the Browning .22 auto needs to be in every true gun enthusiast collection. (Although I don't currently have one in mine. :( )

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet ([Link to invalid post), August 12th & 13th, 2000

Gopher
June 7, 2000, 09:19 PM
Look for an Ithica model 49 or a New England Arms handi rifle in .22 if you would like to try an inexpensive single shot. I second the Marlin 60 also.

Pthfndr
June 7, 2000, 10:01 PM
Build one using an AR! Loads of fun and draws lot's of questions.

Art Eatman
June 7, 2000, 11:43 PM
Going way, way back, the Marlin bolt-actions were always good. As a kid I had a Remington 550 semi-auto--my eyes were younger then, and I always hit what I aimed at. :) I still like its "full size gun" feel.

That ugly nylon 66 had a good reputation for accuracy and reliability. What can I say?

The Browning lever gun and the semi-auto are both good; reliable and accurate, in my experience. With my 35" sleeve, they're a tad short and muzzle-light...

FWIW, Art

jimc
June 8, 2000, 12:46 AM
third the marlin line. pawn shops usually have them in the $60-80 range.
just picked up an ar-7 for $100 in box with all the paper work. the deals are out there but you have to act fast.
did a gun show a few years back had 2 tables of toys from single shot .22's to high end military. the .22's went in less than 45min when the doors opened to the public! and between us we has 7 of them.

Correia
June 9, 2000, 05:58 PM
My Nylon 66 was the worst gun that I ever had. It just plain sucked, jammed constantly, couldn't get it fixed. Got rid of it.

I guess that I got a lemon.

Best non-standard .22 would have to be my Dad's Winchester .22, I don't know the model number, but its a lever action with an internal hammer. Very streamlined, I think it was made in the sixtys. Shoots great.

Arizona Eric
June 9, 2000, 10:49 PM
The Nylon 66 is very neat and reliable, and I have two. But the trigger is lousy and shooting it is like shooting a giant staple gun.

Someone above mentioned those Romanian .22s. Those things are great! Do a search on them in this forum.

700PSS Shooter
June 9, 2000, 11:25 PM
Correia: The Winchester Lever gun sounds like the model 190 series (I think that is the lever number) They had a lever, an auto, and a pump. There was also a higher grade version. I friend had a lever version when we were in jr. high that he bought with paper route tips. Pre-GCA in the mid-1960's, he could buy it with daddy's signature. We shot a number of groundhogs with it.