PDA

View Full Version : Warner And Swasey WWI Rifle Scope

Keith Rogan
December 9, 2002, 05:34 PM
I hope someone can help me.

I have an opportunity to buy a Warner and Swasey telescopic sight, model of 1908, (with mount) from an upcoming estate sale. This thing is great shape except for the hard rubber eyepiece which is chipped and deteriorating. It has no US Gubmint markings, but I don't think they did mark them.

I know this is the same scope issued to snipers in WWI and is quite valuable. My problem is I need to know how valuable before I make an offer. I've searched the web extensively and there's a lot of info about the scope, but none on the "going rate" because apparently, they don't change hands very often.

Anyone know what it might be worth?

Keith

Keith Rogan
December 10, 2002, 04:40 PM
Nobody has a clue?

C.R.Sam
December 10, 2002, 08:04 PM
Not me.
I been hoping somebody would come in with some data.

Sam

James K
December 11, 2002, 12:05 AM
I saw one in only fair condition and with no rubber sell for $350. I don't know if that is a good price or not; I suspect it was low, but people seem to either think they are made of gold or that they are "just scopes".

Jim

BADSBSNF81
December 11, 2002, 03:38 AM
Try posting over at jouster.com. They have an 03 discussion forum. You might also try Canfiled or Duff on their websites.

Keith Rogan
December 11, 2002, 12:24 PM
Well thanks,

I suspect $350 is real low because this is probably the rarest variant of sniper scopes. I'll keep searching.

4V50 Gary
December 12, 2002, 11:41 AM
Sorry, can't help but good luck in getting it (and a Springfield to match). I know someone with a M1903A4 (even w/right receiver markings - stamped parallel to boreline) and Weaver scope. Ohhh, I want.

Why not email Bruce Canfield or write Peter Senich?

Gary Leithner
March 30, 2006, 07:52 PM
While cleaning out an family member house house i came across one of the scopes.Also wonder whats it worth is.Alos any info on them TY, Gary

Mike Irwin
March 30, 2006, 08:19 PM
Try getting in touch with the NRA Museum. They might be able to point you towards a collectors group.

sck
April 2, 2006, 09:24 PM
The last one I saw for sale was at one of the big shows in Louisville, about 10 years ago. The guy was asking $750 for it then, but it was in such great shape, even the rubber eye cup, that it just didn't seem right to me and I didn't have that kind of money. Five years ago, I saw a rife with scope for sale a local show in Ohio, for $2200. My suspicion is that if this is standard estate sale, not many folks other than yourself will be interested or even know what it is. So you should be able to get it for a good price. However, if there even one other person there, be prepared to see it go as high as $1500, even with the bad rubber. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out -- Steve