PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain the difference --

Catbird
December 8, 2002, 01:51 PM
- between a series 80 Colt Gold Cup National Match and a Colt Gold Cup Trophy?

Is there a difference or are they the same thing by different names?

BTW, I have a SS National Match that I bought almost 10 years ago. I shoot it "just for fun" a couple of times a year...it's quite accurate and has been 100% reliable with a variety of my reloads. There's nothing particularly fancy about it, i.e., no full length guide rod, no tight fitting barrel bushing, etc. It does have a combat style hammer and a crisp trigger adjustable for overtravel. It also has an Eliason(sp?) adjustable rear sight.

I looked on Colt's website, but I didn't see anything on the "National Match version".

Any info. would be appreciated.

SaltyCracker
December 9, 2002, 09:39 AM
BTT

Gonzo_308
December 9, 2002, 10:02 AM
Virtually the same gun, there may be some small differences peice by peice since Colt has a habit of using whatever parts may be on the shelf at any given time.

Hkmp5sd
December 9, 2002, 10:21 AM
In 1992, the Gold Cup National Match Series 80 was modified to accept an 8 round magazine. In 1997, they finally decided to call this new version the Gold Cup Trophy.

Catbird
December 9, 2002, 11:18 AM
In 1992, the Gold Cup National Match Series 80 was modified to accept an 8 round magazine.
That reminds me - my Gold Cup came with two magazines...a 7-rounder and an 8-rounder. It also came with two recoil springs...one for light, target loads and one for heavier, military-type hardball.

Thanks for the replies, so far. Anyone else or is that it?

Jim V
December 9, 2002, 11:36 AM
How do you modify a 1911 frame to accept 8 round magazines when a 8 round magazine is a modified 7 round magazine that the 1911 takes anyway?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Gonzo_308
December 10, 2002, 12:59 AM
I agree with Jim V please elaborate on this modification since every 1911 I own will accept a 7 or 8 round mag.

Hkmp5sd
December 10, 2002, 01:33 AM
That's what the book says. Mine is pre-92, so I don't have anything to physically compare it too.

Gonzo_308
December 10, 2002, 01:33 PM
Catbird, all Info I have tells me that there was a name change and that's just about it.

There are some small differences that were made during the transition. The Flat top Slide went away, triggers may be different but essentially they are merely different generations of the same class of Colt.

There have been several name changes too. from the "National Match" to the "Gold Cup National Match" to the "Series 80 Gold Cup" to the "Gold Cup Trophy"

Catbird
December 10, 2002, 06:24 PM
Thank-you Gonzo_308.