PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone wish they would have gottent the A3 instead of the A2 or the other way ar

NYCOP
December 5, 2002, 01:51 AM
I was wondering if you wish you would have the A3 instead of the A2 or the other way around?

DougB
December 5, 2002, 03:38 AM
I have a Bushmaster Dissipator A2 (fixed cary handle). I like it a lot, but I do wish it were an A3 (flattop) - it would just be a little more versatile. I doubt I'll buy any more carry handle uppers. You can always use a detachable carry handle if you want, but I think most would just get a folding rear sight that attached to the flattop - that makes it easy to use the optic of your choice.

Doug

Rob01
December 5, 2002, 06:53 AM
My preban Bushmaster Shorty had the A1 carrying handle/sights and I always hated it. I bought it like that because it was cheaper at the time and money was tight. Finally last year I bought a Bushmaster flat top upper receiver for $125 at Kiesler's and had my A1 changed to a flat top which I like much better as it now wears an ARMS Swan sleeve with flip up iron sight and an Aimpoint ML2. it only cost $25 for the local guy to swap my barrel over to the flat top so for the total of $150 I got the rifle I want. Actually it's only $70 out of pocket because I sold the old A1 upper for $80. I'd say it was worth it.

Bartholomew Roberts
December 5, 2002, 08:48 AM
The first .22 I ever had as a kid came with the cheapest most good for nothing Tasco 4x scope. It wouldn't hold zero for anything. I finally yanked it off and found I was much better with iron sights. My distaste for optics continued for quite awhile.

When I bought my AR I thought "Who need optics on a rifle like this?" I bought the A2 because although flattops were available at the time, they were still rare and I wasn't going to mount a giant scope and go varmint hunting anyway.

I still don't plan on mounting a giant scope and going varmint hunting; but with the immense variety of optics for the AR15 and compact backup sights, I really regret that I didn't go with a flattop because I would have a lot more options right now.

Joe Demko
December 5, 2002, 09:56 AM
I had a Colt Competition HBAR, which was one of the early flatties to hit the market. Never cared for the detachable carry handle concept. W/O high scope mounts, the scope was mounted too low to be of use, and the front sight partially occluded the objective lens. My present AR's both have the fixed carry handle and I am more than satisfied with them. Low power dot optics can be satisfactorily mounted to the carry handle , especially with a goose neck, for the limited amount of use I give them.

December 5, 2002, 11:29 AM
One of the beauties of owning an AR15 is that you can easily configure it to be just what you want. Being one that likes gadgets and playing around with guns, I plan on owning a number of AR15 variations. At present I only own two complete rifles and am in negotiation for a third upper. My two present rifles have an A1 and an A2 carry handle/sights. I don't regret it in the least. I personally feel that for an all around rifle, nothing beats the standard issue iron sights. For me, the stock configuration fits me like a glove; when I shoulder the rifle, I am looking directly through the sights. I have spent quite a bit of range time shooting for semi-serious accuracy from field positions out to around 100 yards and am very satisfied with the rifle just as it comes from the box. The upper that I am in the process of buying right now is a flat top. I am not sure what I am going to do about sights. I am thinking about possibly a low powered shotgun scope.
I recently finished reading the book, The Competitive AR15 by Glen Zediker. He makes some interesting comments in regard to "red dot" sights. He says: "Some very intensive tests done with an AR15 by a good friend and Master Class IPSC shooter showed that up to 50 yards the iron sights were faster than standard scopes and red dots getting shots into the A zone on a IPSC target, which is a 6x12 inch rectangle. Standard scopes were faster to make all A hits with beyond that distance." In other words when an IPSC Master class shooter tested three sighting systems (iron sights, red dots, scopes) for speed combined with accuracy, the red dot came in last both at under 50 yards and over 50 yards. I tend to agree with this. I own a pistol caliber carbine with a red dot on it and don't feel the red dot gives you the same advantages on a rifle that it does on a pistol.

PeteyPete
December 5, 2002, 01:52 PM
I have a Bushy 16" Shorty A2, and i do wish i had gone with the A3 upper. I'll probably never put a scope on the rifle, but I wish I had the option to do so without all the brackets.

bad_dad_brad
December 5, 2002, 09:02 PM
I have a bushy 16" shorty A3 and love it. I love that carrying handle. Makes the rifle extremely handy. I was going to get the A2, but I don't think I will ever scope the bushy, and if I did, you still can. Just have to compensate for the added height. But I think the A3 is a more robust configuration.

That said, one of these days I will probably get a 20" A2 upper.

bad_dad_brad
December 5, 2002, 09:03 PM
Ooops, I meant A2 when I wrote A3 and vice versa!!

I have a bushy 16" shorty A2 and love it. I love that carrying handle. Makes the rifle extremely handy. I was going to get the A3, but I don't think I will ever scope the bushy, and if I did, you still can. Just have to compensate for the added height. But I think the A2 is a more robust configuration.

That said, one of these days I will probably get a 20" A3 upper.

ATTICUS
December 5, 2002, 09:47 PM
I just bought an AR15 in the A2 configuration. I had an A3 in mind when I left for the gunshow, but ended up with an A2, 20" anyway. I plan to use mine for general plinking/paper punching and possibly a little ground hog elimination. There is something appealing about the carry handle and A2 sights - and the handle mounted scope options (for say a 3X9 or 4X) aren't all THAT bad.
It's not an A1, but it is closer to the classical configuation, and I kinda like that. I may pick up a tactical -ninja- gizmo loaded- flatop sometime in the future... as the budget allows.

Redlg155
December 5, 2002, 10:48 PM
I am a fan of the A3 flatop uppers. The option of mounting conventional scopes, red dots and other items appeal to me more so than the standard A2. I've had scopes mounted atop the carry hanle, but they always seemed awkward to me and put the weapon off balance. Plus you can use the new RASII and SIR, something you cannot do with a standard carry handle AR.

So after the first couple of times wishing I could have gotten an A3 instead of the A2, I just stuck to one type.

Good SHooting
RED

stmcelroy
December 5, 2002, 11:58 PM
I had for a very short time a Bushmaster w/a 20" barrel and A2 sights. I absolutely hated the A2 sight on the long barrel. Definitely would have preferred A3.

Now I have an OlyArms 16" SUM Upper w/A2 sights and absolutely love it. I would not mount a scope on it for anything.

I do have my eyes on a 24" Varmint Upper in the future. It will definitely wear a high power scope.

I think on long barrelled guns a scope is appropriate and short barrel close quarters guns A2 is ideal.

Then again, it's just my opinion, do like you want.

Steve