PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: STAR Model B 9mm Custom...

Stephen A. Camp
December 4, 2002, 05:33 PM
Hello. While I've made no secret that the Browning 9mm Hi Power remains my favorite all-around 9mm pistol, the STAR Model B is a sentimental favorite as it was the first centerfire handgun I bought as a young adult. My original Model B cost a then princely sum of $70 NIB. Foolishly, years later I traded it off! In 1989, I saw an ad in the American Rifleman in which the last of these guns would be sold new in the box from a military overrun. I bought one for $259 from my dealer.

I did note some changes in this gun than my original. The same checkered, brown plastic stocks were there, but so was a lanyard ring and the sights were more "high viz" than the my first Model B. The bbl, thumbsafety, lanyard ring, slide release, barrel, and bushing had a moderately dark gray finish which I assume to be some kind of phosphate.

Breaking the gun down, I noticed a difference in the feed ramp and bbl. These had been "throated" similar to the 1911s with which we are all so familar. The chamber on this particular STAR is tighter than my first one and the bbl fit the bushing and the slide more tightly than did my original.
There is some vertical play in the bbl when in full battery, but when I push it down, it "pushes" back up and seems to return to pretty much the same position between shots.

The Pistol: The pistol used in this report has been customized and again the work was done by Williamson Precision Gunsmithing in Hurst, TX. Scott Williamson, son of Lou Williamson, did the work on this one. I had intended NOT to do anything on this pistol but remove the magazine "safety" which does NOT affect the trigger pull as it can on the Browning HP, but DOES interfer in the magazine dropping free....plus, I just don't like the damned things.

When I took the gun out to shoot it the first time, it was a mixed bag of good and bad; the thing fed most JHPs very well and was much less picky than my first, unthroated Model B. The trigger pull was much better than my first pistol, BUT the darned thing's sights were poorly regulated on my gun! Windage was fine, but it hit waaaaaaaay to high at 25 yards, something like a foot or so if I remember correctly. Simply dressing down the rear sight would not do as I'd have no notch left and I flat didn't think about going with a higher fixed sight. Anyway, this would simply not do. So, I went to have the sights changed, but wound up doing the following:

Install Millett adjustable revolver sights.

Bob and reshape the hammer spur to eliminate bite.

Reblue the slide and blue the bbl.

Checker the front grip strap 20 LPI.

Trigger job.

The Milletts were chosen over the S&W K-frame revolver sights as they fit the gun better and being wider toward the rear, they covered the vertical pin normally retained by the fixed rear sight, doing the same thing. The 'smith made and silversoldered a serrated ramp front sight to the slide. He also surprised me with a set of stocks he made of some kind of wood. They fit the gun perfectly and look good, at least to me.

Here's what I wound up with.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p570820881031fd6f203d6a465ec59919/fcf8a8fe.jpg

The checkered frontstrap...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p032c21fe5a47ae7e66e7732afe029c04/fcf8a8ff.jpg

The Millett rear sight, grip, and bobbed hammer are clearly visible in this picture.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pa0c17ef54642cba101beb1daa7bb2d69/fcf8a78f.jpg
Note that the STAR Model Bs have a wide tang ala "beavertail," but do not turn up to allow a higher grip and there is no grip safety.

The rear gripstrap remembles the arched M/S housing of the 1911 and the thumb safety operates in the same direction although it does not block the sear, but cams the hammer back out of engagement.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p96eb5e27b1d9cc93a032bee0eab0b4ac/fcf8a78d.jpg

End of Part I...

Stephen A. Camp
December 4, 2002, 05:37 PM
Shooting: I cheated today; I HAD to. It was a poor day to shoot, but I was going nuts at home so I went. It couldn't have been much above freezing and the wind was gusting out of the north with a nice mist for effect. I could see right off that my off-hand shooting would not be up to what the gun might do, so ALL groups except the 10 yard controlled pairs were fired from a rest with my wrists supported. Distances today were 10, 15, 25, and 50 yards.

10 Yards: I loaded the pistol with 6 rnds and fired 3 sets of controlled pairs, starting from a Weaver low-ready position. It was not timed, but I fired as quickly as I could get what Jeff Cooper calls a "flash sight picture." I'd estimate that both shots were fired within a second or little more. I reloaded with 4 rnds and repeated.

5 sets of controlled pairs at 10 yards fired with Magtech 115 gr ball./
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pb42e08bab6195e3c11d9141c83778217/fcf8a906.jpg

15 Yards: Fired slowfire and FROM A REST, these groups consist of 5 shots each.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pf5ea4ae72aaadc3be9680b944523bfc5/fcf8a905.jpg

25 Yards: The gun was fully loaded with 9 rounds of Winchester 115 gr FMJ.

I pulled the shot at the lower left.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p905ac0c63b953dd3b6cc41218451709f/fcf8a904.jpg

50 Yards: Seated and rested, this 17-shot group was fired at 50 yards with Winchester 115 gr ball. I fully loaded the pistol with 9 rounds and fired 8, inserted another loaded magazine and fired until empty in slowfire.

The 1" targetdot was added to give a precise aiming point. "Aim small, miss small."
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pf5254c3b855d42176417cfe318dfed2f/fcf8a903.jpg

Observations: It's been my experience that STAR Model B pistols are pretty well-made, but they are NOT the vehicles to use if you want to shoot primarily hot loads for caliber or intend heavy amounts of shooting as say a national-level IPSC shooter might. The steel is relatively soft compared to other handguns and appear to be heat-treated only in areas where they "need" it such as around the slide stop notch. I also think that as they come from the factory, they have too light a recoil spring. I have no idea what the standard recoil spring strength is, but did replace mine with a Wolf 18lb conventional spring sold for the CZ-75. It works fine and cases landed about 5' to my right and in a pretty consistent circle about 3' in diameter. I think this will extend the shooting one can do without so much concern for small parts breaking or wearing so much....which brings us to another point: STAR parts are getting harder and harder to find since the gun's out of production and the company no longer exists as we knew it. Despite the obvious resemblance to the beloved Colt Gov't Model, no 1911 parts interchange with any parts on this pistol. While the barrel has the link ala Colt, that's about the only internal similarlity with that gun other than the bushing, recoil spring cap, and recoil spring/guide assembly. The gun has an external, pinned, extractor and the trigger rotates on a pin visible in the frame ala Browning P35.

I was lucky in that this gun shoots better than most might expect. I had a Model B Super in 9mm that didn't group as well. It's been my observation that most STAR handguns group pretty well, but have seen an example or two that didn't.

STAR Model B magazines are well made in my opinion, coming with rounded followers, decently strong springs, and they disassemble in the same manner as Browning P35 and CZ75 magazines for cleaning.

The bbl and frame on this one came "throated" and closely resembles the 1911.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p10d4574309f3c9dd096a903cf0732355/fcf8a793.jpg

Cases are not fully supported, but the support is plenty good in 9mm. I have fire +P rounds in this gun, but only a few and don't intend to fire anymore. Again, I do NOT think this is the gun to "hot rod" 9x19mm.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pc511a556e5d773934f499b2008a4ef48/fcf8a789.jpg

So, should one buy this pistol? Well, it depends; if the price is right and you like it, go for it, but the potential problems of part replacement or the more expensive option of having a gunsmith make parts must be remembered. DO NOT DRY-FIRE THE MODEL B. Like all "pre-Model 28" and Firestars, the firing pin is notched and retained with a vertical, steel pin covered by the rear sight. Dry-firing will break the firing pin sooner or later and usually the former.

From a common-sense point of view, I have way too much in this pistol in gunsmithing costs and while I don't recommend it to others, I think this little thing was worth it. I'll keep it, not only because it won't bring much in trade, but simply because I enjoy owning and shooting a gussied up example of my first handgun bought as an adult.

I'd rather have that old first one, though.

This one's a "keeper."
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pd9076850359a52aa331a03ced0c4dbd1/fcf8a901.jpg

Best.

SteveC
December 4, 2002, 09:08 PM
I had been looking at the more recent Firestar and related pistols and from everything I can read, they are fine, well made guns - they were Kahrs before there were Kahrs.
Sometimes it just doesn't make sense how good companies go under, but other crummy companies linger on.

Do you have any experience with the compact single action Spanish 9mm pistols like the Firestar and the Astra A-70?

I'd be interested in seeing how those guns compare to modern subcompact guns like the Kahr, Glock 26 and even P11.

Steve

Stephen A. Camp
December 4, 2002, 09:10 PM
Hello, sir. I carried a Star 9mm Model 43 (Firestar) for a couple of years as a backup to my duty BHP. I found them heavy for size, but reliable as heck, decently accurate and pretty easy to get good hits with.

Best.

beetlefang
December 4, 2002, 11:52 PM
Very well written review....

I love post like this. These (ie posts like this) are exactly what I was looking for when I began lurking these forums - honest appraisals from owners.

I wish they could be archived into a simple review format. The search doesn't seem to be that reliable in questing down reviews...

-Beetle

Stephen A. Camp
December 4, 2002, 11:57 PM
Hello and thanks for the compliment, beetlefang.

Best.

kahrma
December 5, 2002, 12:02 AM
"I wish they could be archived into a simple review format. The search doesn't seem to be that reliable in questing down reviews..."

I was thinking the same thing. It seems a shame that all of Mr. Camp's great gun reviews are scsttered and dissapearing into the vastness of cyber space.

If they were all together somewhere, it would make an excellent reference source.

Mr. Camp,
I just bought a Star Firestar M-43 also and would love to hear a report from you also. Mine has been great except for the broken firing pin that happened after I dry fired it.

It seems to be decently accurate even though it shoots about 4 inches to the left and it has been 100% reliable (not including the broken firing pin thing).

Stephen A. Camp
December 5, 2002, 12:13 AM
Hello. I'd be happy to do a report on the Firestar, but no longer own one.

I can recall a few things:

The gun was reliable. I don't recall it missing a stutter with any handloaded ball or JHP round I fired through it and there were many. It also worked fine with factory ball and JHP in both standard pressure and +P.

The trigger pull was pretty good out of the box. It broke fairly clean, but was not "crisp."

The fixed sights were satisfactory in terms of sight picture for a pistol this size. In fact, for the time, they were better than many similar-sized pistols. They were darned sure usable. The only negative to me was that they couldn't be drifted for windage, had that been necessary.

The gun did not bite the hand that fired it. The generous tang and abbreviated ring hammer never came close to nipping me, nor did the thing ever get close to giving the Walther PPK slide bite.

The thumb safety did NOT lock the slide when engaged. That meant that the thing could be loaded by hand with the safety engaged. The magazine disconnect was very easy to remove. With it out, magazines fell free when released.

Carrying this gun everyday, I recall that the "Starvel" (E-nickle) finish held up darned well.

My particular pistol hit about 2" low at 15 yards, but windage was perfect.

Best.

tex_n_cal
December 5, 2002, 03:34 AM
Stephen, many thanks:)

In single action autos in 9mm, the Star B is one of the few that is available in CA, as they fall under C&R. Hard to find 9mm 1911's here, and Hi-powers are usually pretty spendy. Even the Hi-power clones are now usually over $300.

Star B in used condition seem to go for around $250, making them affordable.

tex_n_cal
December 5, 2002, 03:34 AM
Stephen, many thanks:)

In single action autos in 9mm, the Star B is one of the few that is available in CA, as they fall under C&R. Hard to find 9mm 1911's here, and Hi-powers are usually pretty spendy. Even the Hi-power clones are now usually over $300.

Star B in used condition seem to go for around $250, making them affordable.

November
December 5, 2002, 04:50 AM
Stephen,
Another vote for creating an index to house your excellent reviews. After reading your report on the Star Model BM a while back, I had to have one (but an SMLE took my money instead). Now I'm hankerin' again for a star single-stack 9mm. Your reports on ANY firearm are always a real treat. Thanks again.

November
December 5, 2002, 04:53 AM
P.S. Nice looking Custom! Excellent pics. My compliments to the grip maker.

Stephen A. Camp
December 5, 2002, 09:33 AM
Hello. Thank you all.

Best.

rebuilder1
December 5, 2002, 12:28 PM
Thank you for another wonderful firearm review. You seem to enjoy writing them as much as I (and others) enjoy reading them.
Please keep it up!

Regards,
R1

nyetter
December 5, 2002, 05:01 PM
To get a list of Stephen's reviews, go to the search page and enter "range" for the keyword, and for the user, exact for "Stephen A. Camp", or partial for just "stephen" or "camp" or whatnot. Be sure to "Show results as threads". This turns up most, if not all, of Mr. Camp's excellent reviews.

Oracle
December 5, 2002, 07:44 PM
Mr. Camp,

Could you ask your 'smith where he got those grips? I've been looking to replace the plastic grips on my wife's Star Model B Super, and they "look" to be similar to 1911 grips, but 1911 grips may or may not fit. If you could let me know where your 'smith got those, I'd be eternally grateful.

Stephen A. Camp
December 5, 2002, 08:09 PM
Hello. He made them. I don't have the phone number, but the business is Williamson Precision Gunsmithing on Pipeline Rd in Hurst, TX. It's a father and son shop. The son, Scot Williamson, made them.

Best.

Oracle
December 5, 2002, 08:26 PM
Thanks much! Their phone number was on rec.guns. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

New_comer
December 5, 2002, 10:19 PM
Another well executed report! Really appreciate your contribution to my gun knowledge, Stephen! :D

I have got to bookmark all your write-ups!

Anyways, the STAR model pistols are rare here in our parts, though they come out every now and then with rather steep prices ($600+).

But it's good to know that it's a fine shooter, and the possibility of a surprising bargain cannot be discounted. One may never know... ;)

Stephen A. Camp
December 5, 2002, 10:30 PM
Hello. Thanks. Glad they're of use.

Best.