PDA

View Full Version : AR-10

AndABeer
May 23, 2000, 08:00 AM
Can M1A/M-14 magazines be modified or used as is in an Armalite AR-10? I was looking at some AR-15s (Bushmaster, Armalite) the other day and then started to consider an AR-10. I have a M1A and several magazines already.

RikWriter
May 23, 2000, 08:19 AM
Yes, but to modify them requires that you either a) make them unusable in the AR10 or b)that you buy an expensive conversion kit from Armalite that includes a new mag body and follower. This will allow you to convert the mags back to M1A mags at a later time.
Or, you can do as I did and buy some M14 mags and send them to Armalite for conversion and give up on the idea of using them dually in both guns.

Target Shooter
May 23, 2000, 08:21 AM
Yes M1A / M14 mags can be used in the AR-10.
Infact, they are the mags that are used, but they have to be converted before use.
You can do it at home or a better choice would be to send them to ArmaLite and have them convert them. They charge $25.00 per mag and the conversion is guaranteed.
If you choose to do them at home just closely copy the mag release hole on the side of the mag and you'll have to cut back the feed lips also. If you want the bolt to stay open on the last shot, you'll have to cut a notch in the back of the mag for the plunger of the ArmaLite follower to fit through.

TS

steve j
May 23, 2000, 08:22 AM
Although I don't have an AR-10 I do know that people modifiy M1A/M14 mags to use in the rifle. I believe armalite will make the magazine modifications for a fee. I don't know if mags modified for the AR-10 would still work in you M1A.